ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 13th, 2023, 01:27 PM   #1
ninjaguy3333
ninjette.org newbie

Name: derek

Motorcycle(s): 1

Bike dies when choke is shut off

Hello friends!

I have a 2012 ninja 250r. Last winter I was putting her in storage and decided to do some maintenance, because she wasn't running at 100%. The symptoms were sometimes struggling to start, and the throttle not liking it when you opened it too fast. Aggressively opening the throttle all the way at low RPM would even stall the engine and it off. My suspicion was that the carburetor needed cleaning, so I did that (I also changed the plugs and did the coolant, those were getting old.)

Long story short, I disassembled the carb, blasted every orifice with carb cleaner, reamed a few holes (with soft copper wire for those parts I understand are sensitive), put everything back together, and installed the carbs. I also got fresh gas before I tried to start her up again.

Now the problem is this:

She starts really and idles steadily with the choke on, but as soon as I turn it off, she dies.
And from the exhaust smell, she seems to be running a bit lean but im not sure.

I noticed most people having this problem get told to clean the carbs, but that's not the problem here, she ran better before I cleaned them, so I must have done something wrong in reassembly and reinstallation!

Ive tried playing with the idle adjuster, without much luck.

Thanks
ninjaguy3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2023, 01:46 PM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
at what settings did you use for your pilot screws?
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2023, 01:52 PM   #3
ninjaguy3333
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
at what settings did you use for your pilot screws?
I believe I followed the service manual's specs, but it's been a while and I can't remember exactly what I did. Would you recommend I look at those first and make sure theyre to spec?

Old May 13th, 2023, 02:04 PM   #4
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
i believe the book settings are 2 on the LH and 1 3/4 on the RH carb. Easy enough to check, no? I'd suggest opening to 2 1/2 and 2 OR setting each to its best, highest idle after bike fully warmed up, adjusting idle speed as needed.

Old May 13th, 2023, 03:00 PM   #5
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
also I must ask.... ALL parts were accounted for? (note needle jets have a wierd way of going missing)

Old May 13th, 2023, 06:34 PM   #6
ninjaguy3333
ninjette.org newbie

So I've messed around with the pilot jet screws without much to show for it. Left is about 2½ turns, right is about 2. Turning the screws in or out past these marks does not yield better results.

At this setting, it idles at steady 5k with the choke on and sounds pretty healthy. It can even idle with the choke off now, but only barely. Its a very rough idle of about 900 rpm. Opening the throttle, even just a little bit while idling causes the engine to die immediately with the choke on or off, its very odd.

As far as missing needles, I cant verify that (havent take out the carb again.. yet), but I was quite meticulous when putting it back together. I will say I was never able to find a good and clear enough diagram and thus wasnt completely confident on whether or not I plumbed it correctly in reinstallation. That is to say maybe some of the hoses are connected to the wrong end?

Anyway im pretty stumped right now. Going to take out the carb again tomorrow and see if I can find anything. If not itll be going to a shop (). If anyone has a good diagram or video for plumbing the carb, or any guesses on whats wrong id love to hear them and thanks for the replies

Old May 13th, 2023, 07:24 PM   #7
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
"She starts really and idles steadily with the choke on, but as soon as I turn it off, she dies."

"It can even idle with the choke off now, but only barely. Its a very rough idle of about 900 rpm."

So turn the idle up, no? Possibly sounds like you've disturbed the synch screw.

Old May 21st, 2023, 06:04 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Definitely sounds like the sync has been disturbed.... and it didn't need to be
unfortunately no one was there to tell you that eh? if you can see the yellow paint mark on the sync screw and the paint is broken you will need to re sync the carbs.... or at the very least put the screw back where it was and align up the paint mark !
yah ! turn up the idle when the choke is not on (using the dongle thing).... set it about 800~1200 RPM
( I like mine slower) it will respond better there.... try that!
Bob......