ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 8th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

Name: Mikhail

Motorcycle(s): 2012 kawasaki Ninja 250r

2012 Ninja 250r running problem and white smoke from tail pipe.

hello, This is my first post and I am new here, I've been looking for some answers for my Ninja 250r because I cannot figure out the main problem of my Bike , My bike is a 2012 Ninja 250r with 9k miles on it... After it's 4000k i start driving it on highway everyday, 160 miles a day back n fourth then my Bike starts running poor and sometimes on idle, it sounds like it is choking and not getting gas at all then stall, I changed the gas and run seafoam on it and it went back to normal but after 2 weeks it went back and got worse and worse and now the bike doesnt want to run but it starts, The the sound from exhaust started to sound louder and bigger low sound and when you rev it high, rev goes down very slowly with the loud sound, and white smoke started coming out from exhaust and smells like burnt something like what you smell on diesel trucks..also a very little knocking noise from left engine, I just cant figure out, I cleaned the carb and everything, it looks brand new when I opened it, not even a single grease of dirt in it, but when I put it back, it made it worse, I will post a video how it sounds like and how it revs when you start it... Hope someone here could help me, I brought it to a mechanic and he said one cylinder is not firing so it may need a new carburetor, and other people are saying that maybe my piston rings are shot cuz of the smoke coming out from the pipe... my bike only has 9000 miles with proper maintenance, I have an aftermarket exhaust and k&n air filter after its 3000 miles, Thank you in Advance

Link to original page on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/BHzmN_fTRCo

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Generally speaking, blue-ish = oil burn, white-ish is water or coolant.

Now, I know that my bike smokes and uses oil, but the smoke is more of a gray color, the blue is very faint. Not super helpful. But I know it's oil. Because oily pipe soot and carbon build up on my valves.

Smell it. Put your hands on it. What does the residue feel like? Oil or water? Does this only happen when the bike has been sitting or does it happen every time you start it? Does it happen when the bike is warm or just when you start it cold? Is it worse the longer the bike sits? Look for answers to those questions and someone smarter than I should be able to help you diagnose your issue. Keep a close eye on your oil and coolant levels in the mean time. Put a mark on the side of the coolant container with sharpie when the bike is in a repeatable position, for instance, on your stand in the same place in your garage each time. Same for the oil sight glass.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #3
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Generally speaking, blue-ish = oil burn, white-ish is water or coolant.

Now, I know that my bike smokes and uses oil, but the smoke is more of a gray color, the blue is very faint. Not super helpful. But I know it's oil. Because oily pipe soot.

Smell it. Put your hands on it. What does the residue feel like? Oil or water? Does this only happen when the bike has been sitting or does it happen every time you start it? Does it happen when the bike is warm or just when you start it cold? Is it worse the longer the bike sits? Look for answers to those questions and someone smarter than I should be able to help you diagnose your issue. Keep a close eye on your oil and coolant levels in the mean time. Put a mark on the side of the coolant container with sharpie when the bike is in a repeatable position, for instance, on your stand in the same place in your garage each time. Same for the oil sight glass.
Another simple way to check for a coolant leak is to pull the spark plug. The cylinder with the leak will have a steam cleaned spark plug. From my experience, any way.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/thread moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I cannot really tell if there is bluish to it because it looks just white, but it smells more like burnt, and there is a black thing piling up from the exhaust tip and when you touch it it is black, when i start it cold start, water comes out from exaust sometimes, on winter here with 40 degrees. I use the bike as a daily transportation so it never been sit for a day or 2 days but when I started having the problem, I didnt use the bike for week, and when I get back to it, That's when the white smoke starts coming out, it happens wether the bike is cold or warmed up, But i cannot tell the real bluish smoke, but smells burn. i checked the coolant and it is full, Last I did the oil change was 1000 miles ago in the bike. Thank you for answers

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

And the bike doesn't want to run on the street anymore. it starts normal and everything but once you put gas on it, it wants to die and it actually stalls. and sound turned different. Mechanic told me not to use it anymore because it is gonna get worse, he is asking $400 +++ dollars for fixing it which i think it is too much

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Did he tell you what's actually wrong and what he's planning to do to it, or did he just tell you a flat $400?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I will have to try that and see what happens. thank you

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

He told me that the one cylinder is not firing up so he said he said it is about something with the Carb which I doubt because when I checked the carb, It is not even dirty at all or any marks, of gunk and stuff, it looks in perfectly shape and very clean, jets are clean etc, but i still cleaned it anyways

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I cannot really tell if there is bluish to it because it looks just white, but it smells more like burnt, and there is a black thing piling up from the exhaust tip and when you touch it it is black like piling up in it which Im not having before , when i start it cold start, water comes out from exaust sometimes, on winter here with 40 degrees. I use the bike as a daily transportation so it never been sit for a day or 2 days but when I started having the problem, I didnt use the bike for week, and when I get back to it, That's when the white smoke starts coming out, it happens wether the bike is cold or warmed up, But i cannot tell the real bluish smoke, but smells kinda burnt. i checked the coolant and it is full, Last I did the oil change was 1000 miles ago in the bike. Thank you for answers

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
First thing I always consider when a cycle has been running fine, then it's not, is the fuel. Gas with ethanol goes bad quicker than gas without, and it also holds water. A low fuel level in the tank, and changing temps, can produce condensation.

It's possible you got some bad fuel, or there's condensation that has built-up in the tank that's finally getting drawn into the carbs.

I would open the carb drains and catch the gas to take a look at it.

Because you have an odd smell, I would confirm that you are not losing coolant. If you are consistently losing coolant your overflow bottle will be low - is the level up to normal? EDIT: I see you said it was up to the proper level

Another thing to look at would be oil in the airbox from the crank breather. Extended high speed running will draw oil into the airbox, and there may be enough in there to make its way into the intake. You engine oil level should be checked regularly if you are doing a fair amount of extended highway riding. Is the oil level normal?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:49 AM   #12
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
First thing I always consider when a cycle has been running fine, then it's not, is the fuel. Gas with ethanol goes bad quicker than gas without, and it also holds water. A low fuel level in the tank, and changing temps, can produce condensation.

It's possible you got some bad fuel, or there's condensation that has built-up in the tank that's finally getting drawn into the carbs.

I would open the carb drains and catch the gas to take a look at it.

Because you have an odd smell, I would confirm that you are not losing coolant. If you are consistently losing coolant your overflow bottle will be low - is the level up to normal? EDIT: I see you said it was up to the proper level

Another thing to look at would be oil in the airbox from the crank breather. Extended high speed running will draw oil into the airbox, and there may be enough in there to make its way into the intake. You engine oil level should be checked regularly if you are doing a fair amount of extended highway riding. Is the oil level normal?
Speaking of oil.....pull the fill cap and smell the oil to see if smells like gas or coolant.

Also, look at the underside of the fill cap and see if it looks like a milkshake or has a white color. This would indicate a coolant leak or water in the oil also.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
He told me that the one cylinder is not firing up so he said he said it is about something with the Carb which I doubt because when I checked the carb, It is not even dirty at all or any marks, of gunk and stuff, it looks in perfectly shape and very clean, jets are clean etc, but i still cleaned it anyways
Comparing the temp of the pipes will tell you if that's the case.

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #14
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I already changed the fuel twice, plus run a seafoam it it but seems like it did not help at all after the 2nd changed, I already drained the carb and open it and looks fine and nothing is building up in there at all, I looked at the airbox, it is a little wet and kinda smeel like gas, I checked the oil level and i could see it in the middle of the circle thing where you check it. I will have to check the coolant again and see but the last time I checked it, it was full and has more in the coolant box

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I already changed the fuel twice, plus run a seafoam it it but seems like it did not help at all after the 2nd changed, I already drained the carb and open it and looks fine and nothing is building up in there at all, I looked at the airbox, it is a little wet and kinda smeel like gas, I checked the oil level and i could see it in the middle of the circle thing where you check it. I will have to check the coolant again and see but the last time I checked it, it was full and has more in the coolant box
Did you get fuel from a different station the second time?

Just eliminating one variable.

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #16
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I smelled the oil and its kinda smells like gas but no milkshake or white thing I see there...

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #17
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I got the fuel in same gas station, First time fixed it because it just happens once in a while, not it happens a little more often, it did not solve it

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #18
Mikhail
ninjette.org member

I tried it myself with wetting the pipes and both are burning good

Old March 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I got the fuel in same gas station, First time fixed it because it just happens once in a while, not it happens a little more often, it did not solve it
Drain the tank and get gas somewhere else. That's the simplest first step IMO.

What gas are you using? I'd recommend 87 octane without ethanol if you can get it.