ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
nitehawk
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 - SE Black & Red

Taken Down Splitting

I was splitting lanes between the carpool and the #1 lane when a truck cut out of the carpool lane (no look, drift, hesitation), across two double yellows, right into my path. Traffic was slowed but smooth, and I was too relaxed, not minding the gaps. I reacted late, started to brake and realized I wasn't even going to come close to stopping short and tried to turn with the truck into the open space in the next lane. I ended right up next to the rear fender when the handlebars jerked. I'm not sure if there was contact, bump in the road or i just lost control in a hard turn, but after a quick wobble I low sided. Not sure what the exact speed was but I would say I landed going about 45. Kept my leg out from underneath the bike, landed on my shoulder and slid for a brief moment. Then tumbled once, caught myself on my back by bracing my elbows/arms, trying to make sure I didn't roll anymore. At that point my head did snap back a bit, not too hard though, and I slid to a stop. Quickly checked back down the road for oncoming cars, and then just relaxed for a second. Injuries minor. I have a somewhat bad shoulder from years of baseball, and it was a little tweaked from the initial impact but didn't hurt really that much, and not until the next day. Healed in a couple weeks (until i threw it out trying throw in a soccer ball with a bit too much gusto). Ended up with a little road rash on the side of my calf, which I've had worse playing baseball as well as a little on the sides of my wrists. I was weather a leather jacket (with elbow, shoulder and back armor), jeans, some light weight over-pants (with knee pads), and leather work boots. Driver never stopped.

Biggest lesson learned was never get complacent. Just because traffic is smooth doesn't mean people won't do really careless things. I know better then to not mind the gaps and to be better prepared for unexpected lane changes, no matter how illegal they are. I make this drive every day I just let myself to too comfortable. That and California cops are dicks to motorcyclists. He was more concerned with getting my back over to the right side. The first thing out of his mouth was can YOU move it. Not, are you OK, can you walk or any sort of concern for my well being. When I told him it would roll but it couldn't turn because the handle bar was pinned down, he was no longer concerned enough to help.

Here's some pics of the damage. The estimates to fix came in at a high enough point that I decided to sell it if I could get enough for it (let someone else deal), which i did. Found a newer one in good condition. Color change =)

Album: Ninja 250 Crash

Gear did a great job. Small whole in the shoulder, and some scraps on the back, and nothing to my upper body. I think I can patch the shoulder and be good to go. Any concerns?

The knee pads saved my legs for sure. But the friction burned through the nylon and jeans below the knee pad. I was wearing short/summer gloves, but kept my hands off the ground, so they came out pretty good. Just slight scrapes got through the gaps. Still wearable, but I will be looking for some light weight gauntlets when I can afford it. I feel like the helmet took more friction damage than anything. I've hit my head harder snowboarding. I haven't used it since, because I've seen and heard a lot of people state that you shouldn't really use a helmet after any contact, but would like to hear any opinions on this case.

nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
That sux bro, glad to hear you're mostly ok.

You slowed down and crashed still going 45?... How fast were you lane splitting?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sorry to hear it bro. was this on the 5N near santa ana a couple days ago? i saw a blue ninja 250 crashed on the inside shoulder. maybe it was you? hope all goes well.

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #4
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Sorry about your crash man. Hope you get your bike in order and your shoulder stops bothering you.

Sounds like not only were you not paying attention, but also splitting way too fast. You said you were braking and swerving and went down at 45 mph? So you were probably splitting at what, 55 mph at least. In my opinion the CHP guidelines are right in that splitting should be kept under 30 mph and no more than 10 mph faster than traffic. Sucks you crashed, but it was mostly your fault.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #5
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Glad that you're not badly hurt but yeah, you gotta really pay attention when you're splitting. Don't go faster than you can react, watch those gaps, watch those heads inside of cars.

Pretty sure you already have all that figured out by now. Sorry that you said hello to the pavement, man.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
modded
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Green 250

Good to hear you're alright man! What kind of insurance did you have?
modded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Your helmet is done. Heal fast buddy. We can all learn from your experience.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
...........Traffic was slowed but smooth, and I was too relaxed, not minding the gaps.............Driver never stopped...............Biggest lesson learned was never get complacent. Just because traffic is smooth doesn't mean people won't do really careless things. I know better then to not mind the gaps and to be better prepared for unexpected lane changes, no matter how illegal they are..............
Good lessons !!!

Very sorry about your accident, Josh
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Ktam
ninjette.org member

Name: Kelvin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Always sad to hear another ninja down, but it looks like you've got everything handled pretty well so good on you!

Lane splitting always seems situational to me...I can agree if traffic's at gridlock but at city speeds seem a bit sketchy - no splitting whatsoever up North .
Ktam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #10
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Your helmet is done.
Yup. Not even close to a questionable case. That one's a paperweight.

Glad you came out alright. Heal fast.

Last futzed with by tnr4; June 21st, 2013 at 06:26 AM.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #11
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Even with pictures this didn't happen. I've been informed numerous times right here on this very forum that lane-splitting is perfectly safe and nothing could ever possibly go wrong.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #12
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Even with pictures this didn't happen. I've been informed numerous times right here on this very forum that lane-splitting is perfectly safe and nothing could ever possibly go wrong.
There's always a critic.

Old June 20th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #13
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Bring up that specific quote please. Should be easy since you've seen it numerous times.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 05:16 AM   #14
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

Quote:

^^^ troll

sorry to hear about your accident nitehawk. could have been alot worse, glad you are okay
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 06:30 AM   #15
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
the same could happen just riding normally.
its always up to the rider to manage risks, even if the cager is actively trying to kill you.

whether or not lane splitting is involved doesn't really matter, if you think about it.
the danger is still there.

Old June 21st, 2013, 09:12 AM   #16
nitehawk
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 - SE Black & Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sorry to hear it bro. was this on the 5N near santa ana a couple days ago? i saw a blue ninja 250 crashed on the inside shoulder. maybe it was you? hope all goes well.
This was actually back in late October, but close. 405S just before the 5/55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELY1990 View Post
You said you were braking and swerving and went down at 45 mph? So you were probably splitting at what, 55 mph at least. In my opinion the CHP guidelines are right in that splitting should be kept under 30 mph and no more than 10 mph faster than traffic. Sucks you crashed, but it was mostly your fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
You slowed down and crashed still going 45?... How fast were you lane splitting?
I was doing about 55, and traffic was about 45. So more than the 30 guideline, but within the 10 mph difference. I generally don't split that fast, but the median is so wide its hard not to feel that its safe. Not to mention traffic is usually full speed or less then 30. Sadly, I'm one of the slow ones on these freeways. Ironically the worst offenders are the CHP bikers themselves. They've whipped past me splitting faster than I ever ride even on an empty road. No emergency, just cruising. Scary stuff.

In my opinion, I blame myself. Sure, legally the person in the truck would be to blame and I hate the guy for what he did, especially not stopping, but its my life out there. I have to own up to what risks I take.
nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM   #17
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
In my opinion, I blame myself. Sure, legally the person in the truck would be to blame and I hate the guy for what he did, especially not stopping, but its my life out there. I have to own up to what risks I take.
Great attitude. Way to take ownership over what you can control. Who cares about the idiots out there that you can't control anyway.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 12:48 PM   #18
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Sucks to here you went down. If traffic is moving at 45MPH, is there really a need to lane split? Traffic is moving at a decent pace at 45, I can understand if it was sub-20 or stop-and-go.

Old June 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM   #19
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Edit: Nvm its not.

And sorry about your crash dude Glad you are okay!
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
That's what I was told about motorcycles in general!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #21
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

@nitehawk - Sorry this happened to you and glad you're okay!! I don't mean to reiterate what others have already said, but I will, because I also live in California and I split lanes.

Here is the CHP guideline regarding speed:

Quote:
2 It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster --- danger increases as overall speed increases.

- At just 20 mph, in the 1 or 2 seconds it takes a rider to identify a hazard, that rider will travel approximately 30 to 60 feet before even starting to take evasive action. Actual reaction (braking or swerving) will take additional time and distance.

- Braking and stopping distance varies greatly based on a multitude of factors (rider, machine and environment).

- As speed increases, crash severity increases.

Old July 14th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

Lane splitting at anything over 15? Are you kidding me? You're not the ghost rider dude. Slow down, get a cruiser or something :P
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbpf View Post
Lane splitting at anything over 15? Are you kidding me? You're not the ghost rider dude. Slow down, get a cruiser or something :P

Says the guy not from california ^^
You just don't understand ;P

Sorry to hear about that though. Hope all is well now!

Old July 14th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #24
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:

Here is the CHP guideline regarding speed:

Quote:
2 It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster --- danger increases as overall speed increases.

- At just 20 mph, in the 1 or 2 seconds it takes a rider to identify a hazard, that rider will travel approximately 30 to 60 feet before even starting to take evasive action. Actual reaction (braking or swerving) will take additional time and distance.

- Braking and stopping distance varies greatly based on a multitude of factors (rider, machine and environment).

- As speed increases, crash severity increases.
Obviously the CHP doesn't understand anything about the mad skilz that lane-splitters apparently possess.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #25
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Granted, I'm still a n00b, so I have alooooot to learn. But it seems to me that this was 10000% preventable
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #26
sunspots
ninjette.org member

Name: Sunspots

Motorcycle(s): 08 Plasma Blue 250

Have had my bike for a little over 2 weeks now, been casually riding for little over a week now and I had my first close call light night. I was in the inner of 2 lanes making a left turn.
A SUV that was in the lane to the right of me, turns cuts me off in the turn and gets to the lane to the left of me. I was probably a foot away from touching the car with my front.
sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #27
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

That's the problem with lane splitting, you're in the cars blind spot and you have no safe exit.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #28
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

There's always an exit.

Old July 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #29
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

He went over a double yellow... I hate people that do that... Stay in or get out at a break.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote