ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:19 AM   #1
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Question Safe or Not?

I bought an exhaust kit yesterday so now I have a new question for those of you with MUCH more knowledge than me.

In order to save on cost, I want to install the exhaust and K&N filter (and remove the snorkel as some had suggested) myself at home.
Since I don't have the tools nor knowledge to re-jet the carb, I plan on having my dealer do it for me.

Here is the question:

The dealer is about 20 miles away and as I am essentially an island unto myself, I have to ride the bike there. Will I cause any damage to the bike riding it up there? Will it be too lean? I don't want to burn out anything or cause any damage.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

My only experience with an engine running too lean was when my buddy drilled out his Buell Blast exhaust can. His engine started bogging down in the higher RPM's , quite noticeably, he had put two washers to shim the needle up originally and that with the can mod had made his engine run too lean.

He rode it like that for approx 10 miles or so. Im no combustion expert but I would say that short distance with the engine like that probably won't burn the valves up on a modern motorcycle engine, however with the bike's power band bogging down it makes it slightly unsafe to ride. 20 miles is a bit of a stretch though running lean.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

My overall suggestion is to find someone you know who has a pickup or van and transport the bike that way. You may want to ask the dealership if they have a delivery service at all, they may be able to pick it up for you.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4
kkim

what kind of exhaust, full or slip on?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM   #5
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Slip on with a quiet core, which should create some back pressure making it a bit closer to stock. I'm also putting a K&N filter in (which I could just have the dealer do since it should only take them a minute).

Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #6
kkim

you should be safe just riding it over to the dealer for the work to be done.

if you want to be absolutely safe, install the slip on at home, then when the bike is there, have them install the filter and pull out the snorkel before they rejet. are they planning to dyno the bike? how are they going to confirm the jetting is correct/optimized?

Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Sounds like a good plan. When I put a slip-on on my Buell, I actually rode it for a couple of weeks before I had it re-jetted and never had an issue.
Yes, the dealer has a Dyno which I why I'm taking it back to them (plus the last time I took it in they actually suggested I have LESS work done to save me money AND did the job in less time then expected).

Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #8
kkim

Sounds like you've found yourself a great dealer. Try to support him in whatever way you can so they will stay in business for your future needs.