ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Angry Had the first attempt made on my life today

So I was riding home from school, feeling all cool and everything because everyone always looks at me and compliments my bike and whatnot, It's Friday, I'm happy and all. I get into my neighborhood going down the big main street that branches off into the smaller ones doing about 45 which is a perfectly safe speed for the road (its a 35) and I glance in my mirror and see a big blue blob coming up on me fast, so I keep my eye on my mirror and this kia minivan doing 60-70 comes right up on my rear and slows down literally only a few feet from me, which is highly unsafe to say the least and there wasn't much I could do... so I up my speed to get away from this guy and he follows me and stays that close still... So I come to my turn and subsequently have to slow down and he passes me and the garbage truck that was pulling out and swinging wide so I give him a nice, sincere middle finger as he goes by. At this point I'm beyond angry... So I made my first stupid decision, I'm gonna chase this a**hole down, but my bike sensed my anger and went into neutral instead of 1st when I angrily downshifted so I decided against my angry stupidity. So anyways I turn onto another road and go down it and Mr. Minivan is waiting at a stop sign for me, so as I come up to him I point at him then give him another healthy dose of middle finger, I then turn right onto a side street that leads to my street, as I do this I hear his tires screech as he takes off so I slam on the gas on my bike to get away from this prick and I probably hit 50 mph on a very short side street and then slam on the brakes to slow down for my turn, my rear locks up and slides out but luckily I was slow enough to recover without highsiding, I turn onto my street and haul arse down it and he turns onto it behind me. Luckily he turned into another house instead of following me home... I pulled into my driveway ripped my gear off and ran inside just to get myself calmed down I was shaking from how angry I was...

So lessons learned today;
There are psychotic people out there who just want to kill you for no reason.
When you're extremely angry you should not ride a motorcycle (or drive a car), I haven't locked up my rear for a long time and today was one of the worst incidents of it...
Staying calm, as hard as it is to do sometimes, is always the best solution

What I probably should have done is just gone along and minded my own business instead of flipping off the guy and provoking him to come after me even more violently, which in turn lead me to become even more angry
and make mistakes that could have caused injuries and damage to my bike or even cost me my life. At the same time I didn't expect someone I don't even know to literally try and kill me... and I was riding faster than normal to try and get away from him not just because I was angry and was taking it out on the throttle...
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #2
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
It's very good you and your bike made it out of there ok! All those close calls in quick succession.

I bet it took you ages to feel properly calm again. Something like that would leave me pissed off for the entire day.

Serious suggestion: maybe next time you should pull over after it happens, turn the bike off and scream/shout/kick or whatever you have to until you've calmed down. I've done something similar before, and then I started laughing at how absurd the whole situation and human condition is!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
KawiKid860

Quote:
Serious suggestion: maybe next time you should pull over after it happens, turn the bike off and scream/shout/kick or whatever you have to until you've calmed down. I've done something similar before, and then I started laughing at how absurd the whole situation and human condition is!
I've considered this, but at first he was more of just a jerk driver who had no regard for anyone besides himself and no respect for other people on the road. I didn't really start feeling like my life was threatened until he chased me down my street, in which pulling over could have been fatal. I think this guy lives down my street too since he pulled off at a house and is still parked there... not sure how I feel about that.

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #4
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Maybe next time you might have some lead slung at you instead of just a Kia minivan. Keep your finger too yourself unless you are prepared to defend yourself.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #5
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

What he said is true. Don't fuel the fire my friend. Keep your middle finger to yourself, mini-van vs bike. bike will always lose.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
Maybe next time you might have some lead slung at you instead of just a Kia minivan. Keep your finger too yourself unless you are prepared to defend yourself.
I had a friend of mine that died because of a road rage incident. A car pulled up to his, words were exchanged, and he got shot in the head. I get mad at people, but this is just a reminder to keep myself from expressing it to people. Its a crazy world out there. You're lucky things didnt turn out bad. Pulling over as stated before would be the best thing to you. Anger affects driving and riding skills.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #7
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
What he said is true. Don't fuel the fire my friend. Keep your middle finger to yourself, mini-van vs bike. bike will always lose.
Not if we had one of these: MWA HA HA HA

(I think they're real world war II machines! Found them here.)

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I'm glad someone else lives in Washington State that has idiotic drivers in their area. It's full of 'em where I live
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #9
KawiKid860

You guys are right, I shouldn't have flipped him off, as I previously stated. I know minivan vs bike isn't a good prospect for me, that's why I was running from him instead of letting him hit me.

Old September 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I've learned that if I get a "bad vibe" from someone following me I'll turn off onto a side street and just take another route. Gives me a good reason to go
"exploring".

If I'm on the Interstate I switch lanes and try to get behind someone who's going the speed limit and let the moron go on their way.

It's sometimes a quicker reaction to give someone the finger because I'm angry at their stupidity, but I always remember that it's easy for them to take me out with their car and disappear.

The only time you should let someone in a car chase you is if it is a bunch of Swedish swimsuit models.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Sorry that you went through that, OP. I had a similar experience a few months back with some dude almost hitting me and then taking off like a little prick. He got mad because I split lanes and got in front of him.

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Just to go back a step, I think this may also have been a mistake: "so I up my speed to get away from this guy."

Anyone who zooms up on you and parks right on your 6 (whether you're on cage or bike) is looking for a confrontation. Especially on a bike, speeding up is just turning a bad situation into a faster bad situation.

I would (and have) in similar circumstances simply gone out of my way by turning (usually right; it's easier to get back on course with more right turns -- obviously the opposite is true in the UK heh). There is the chance the *** is simply in a rage-rush to get somewhere; he may blow by, problem solved.

If the guy is actually trying to pick a fight he may follow you through a couple turns. All your adrenaline will kick off. Control it, ride calmly, and proceed to your local police station; odds are very good he does not want to explain this little parade to the cops.

Things not to do include driving straight home (do you want this guy dropping by later when you're away or asleep?) or stopping in a parking lot for a confrontation. The *** may or may not have a gun, but he definitely outweighs us by two+ tons of steel. It's appalling how many deaths by car are not or under-prosecuted.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #13
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I swear I went & just bought a faster bike because of this reason. I was P.O.d the other night.
Somebody tried to kill me the other night and for it I flipped them off.
For that, they tried to kill me many more times and I couldn't get away for a couple miles on the Ninjette.

Had I a faster bike I could have gotten away, but had I not flipped the finger period I would have almost been killed only once and just been pushed out of my lane while he flew around me, between me and the carpool lane wall Instead of multiple life threatening advances in Friday night traffic creating a worse situation.

Now I have a faster bike and I know not to flip the finger so hoping it doesn't happen again.
Usually solved it in the past.

If I was stuck on the Ninjette I would be telling myself not to lift a finger and just flat out stay out of the carpool lane all together. People tend to think it's the Icanrunoveryourmotorcycle lane.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #14
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Ok ok you flip him off once not smart but pulling up to someone waiting for you and fliping them off again was really stupid. :S Lucky he didnt have a gun or he probably would of used it at the stop.

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #15
TFKninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

I highsided my bike from anger, a cager pull out in front of me and moved off like snail, when I went around him he sped up and raced me so it was on I had no choice by then point of no return , went into the bend too fast lockup and high sided now I will always have a sore foot now to remind me to calm down, lucky for us we dont have as many people packing heat to worry about. but dropping your baby is bad enough, enjoy your ride with out anger. I still feel the pain now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ouch.JPG (77.3 KB, 3 views)

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #16
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I would have flipped him off to, and then just drove home normally. Nothing wrong with saying he fck you ahole... but the following and the continuing rage is what can get you into trouble... be safe.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #17
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I swear I went & just bought a faster bike because of this reason. I was P.O.d the other night.
Somebody tried to kill me the other night and for it I flipped them off.
For that, they tried to kill me many more times and I couldn't get away for a couple miles on the Ninjette.

Had I a faster bike I could have gotten away, but had I not flipped the finger period I would have almost been killed only once and just been pushed out of my lane while he flew around me, between me and the carpool lane wall Instead of multiple life threatening advances in Friday night traffic creating a worse situation.

Now I have a faster bike and I know not to flip the finger so hoping it doesn't happen again.
Usually solved it in the past.

If I was stuck on the Ninjette I would be telling myself not to lift a finger and just flat out stay out of the carpool lane all together. People tend to think it's the Icanrunoveryourmotorcycle lane.
honestly thats what kinda sucks about the 250. cause its NOT that fast. it doesnt have the 0-60 time of a GSXR or R6... you cant just blow by the assholes that try to be dicks like you could on a faster bike..
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #18
TFKninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

"A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
Bruce Lee

Old September 17th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #19
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Not to be rude, but it sounds to me like someone tailgated you, and you made an attempt on your own life.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #20
KawiKid860

Well I can see where most of you are coming from.. I know now not to be so liberal with my middle finger however I don't think many people are packing heat around here.. it just doesn't seem like the kind of town. Anyways, the point of speeding up was to increase the distance between us then slow down back to the speed limit, but he just kept right on me. I could have just dropped a couple gears and slammed it up to 80+ without a second thought, but that fast in a semi-residential area is too much. Anyways thanks for the advice everyone, learned quite a bit today from multiple bad things happening... Glad that tomorrows a new day and I shall now try to quell my road rage if anything similar happens

Old September 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #21
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFKninja View Post
"A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
Bruce Lee
Or more relevant...
"The art of fighting, without fighting"
Remember that scene?!

Old September 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #22
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

best to just pull over next time. especially if you on a small bike like the ninjette.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #23
Art Vandelay
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
At this point I'm beyond angry... So I made my first stupid decision, I'm gonna chase this a**hole down
No sir. Your first mistake was accelerating while being tailgated. This just leads to being tailgated at high speed.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #24
KawiKid860

Quote:
No sir. Your first mistake was accelerating while being tailgated. This just leads to being tailgated at high speed.
How was I supposed to know he'd still match my speed? Speeding up was a better option than having a 2 ton car only a few feet behind me.

Quote:
best to just pull over next time. especially if you on a small bike like the ninjette.
I would've pulled over if he wasn't trying to run me over.

It seems like no one read my story in its entirety..

Old September 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #25
Art Vandelay
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): '07

Quote:
How was I supposed to know he'd still match my speed?
Because, more often than not, that's just what tailgaters do.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #26
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

shoulda out ran him

Old September 17th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #27
rusninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
shoulda out ran him
What happens when you are angry so you hit the gas and next thing you hit a guy in front of you?

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #28
KawiKid860

Quote:
What happens when you are angry so you hit the gas and next thing you hit a guy in front of you?
That or you hit your brakes and get rear ended AND still hit whatever pulls out in front of you. Granted i upped my speed 5-10 mph to make some space I didn't just go wide open... I could have its a long straight road with little traffic and me vs a minivan... yeah. I was just trying to maximize safety the best way I saw fit, it may not have been the best way in general but I think for the circumstances that I was in it was worth trying since there were no other cars on the road..

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #29
rusninja

Quote:
That or you hit your brakes and get rear ended AND still hit whatever pulls out in front of you. Granted i upped my speed 5-10 mph to make some space I didn't just go wide open... I could have its a long straight road with little traffic and me vs a minivan... yeah. I was just trying to maximize safety the best way I saw fit, it may not have been the best way in general but I think for the circumstances that I was in it was worth trying since there were no other cars on the road..
but you didnt need to out run him like blink said.

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #30
KawiKid860

Quote:
but you didnt need to out run him like blink said.
And I didn't.

I think if I had to do it all again I would probably just keep going but keep my eye on him and be ready to accelerate if I felt threatened, and I would've left my middle finger out of the equation, even though it was only meant to let this jerk know how I felt about his driving, in the long run my opinion doesn't mean anything to him. Maybe next time he tries this it will be with a biker who's in a gang, or packs heat and knows how to use it and he'll learn his lesson one way or another. But whatever its all over now and I've learned from it just like I learn from every other experience I have on my bike

Old September 18th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #31
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Time to start packing heat. I don't know the laws up there, but in FL you can shoot people who threaten your life - especially if they are chasing you.

Old September 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #32
rusninja

Hes no where near the legal age even if there was a law.

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #33
KawiKid860

No idea what laws are here regarding that kind of self defense... I'm sure given the right circumstances someone carrying a legally permitted weapon could use it. Rusninja is right I'm a little bit away from being able to legally have a concealed weapon, but I wouldn't want to use one anyways unless someone else pulled a gun or other dangerous weapon on me first.

Old September 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #34
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Shoulda Coulda Woulda

get the plate and hence address, send in the brick masons, just metal gets hurt.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #35
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Time to start packing heat. I don't know the laws up there, but in FL you can shoot people who threaten your life - especially if they are chasing you.
At least in reguard to the original post packing heat wouldn't solve a thing. I carry in Florida mainly for a possible encounter when I'm off the bike. The likelyhood of me using the gun while underway or quickdraw at a stop is miniscule and impractical. I've been threatened by cars but in every case able to manuever away from them and I no longer will do anything to antagonize the idiot. Much more effective than packing heat. Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #36
n4mwd

Quote:
... I wouldn't want to use one anyways unless someone else pulled a gun or other dangerous weapon on me first.
Like an SUV for example.

Most idiots will just let you go on your way, but some will go into stalk mode. When that happens, your life is in danger especially if he is tailgating you. Its not a big issue if you were in a car, but stalking and tailgating a motorcycle means the rider is imminent danger. You can try and get the tag, but that's kind of hard if he's behind you.

I think the MSF course recommends pulling over to the right, slowing and letting the idiot pass you. If he doesn't pass you in spite of having clear opportunity, then stop the bike, he is stalking. Get off the bike and deal with it. Get the tag and at the first opportunity, pay him a visit and set his car on fire or something. It wouldn't hurt to enlist some other bikers to come with your just to make sure he knows who did it. Ok, maybe that last part wasn't in the MSF manual, but one thing for sure is that you have to deal with bullies and stalkers or they will haunt you to your grave.

Old September 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #37
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Quote:
Like an SUV for example.

Most idiots will just let you go on your way, but some will go into stalk mode. When that happens, your life is in danger especially if he is tailgating you. Its not a big issue if you were in a car, but stalking and tailgating a motorcycle means the rider is imminent danger. You can try and get the tag, but that's kind of hard if he's behind you.

I think the MSF course recommends pulling over to the right, slowing and letting the idiot pass you. If he doesn't pass you in spite of having clear opportunity, then stop the bike, he is stalking. Get off the bike and deal with it. Get the tag and at the first opportunity, pay him a visit and set his car on fire or something. It wouldn't hurt to enlist some other bikers to come with your just to make sure he knows who did it. Ok, maybe that last part wasn't in the MSF manual, but one thing for sure is that you have to deal with bullies and stalkers or they will haunt you to your grave.
I just think this is really bad advice. Would only appy in the narrowest circumstances. It's typically very easy to get away from an agressive driver before you have to stop, dismount and confront him. Lane split or pass stopped traffic on the right and say byebye..Hey I'd go up on the sidewalk or shoulder before I'd stop and confront a guy that's trying to kill me. I just love advice that includes felony actions like the quote above. Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #38
rusninja

Quote:
Like an SUV for example.

But if you go busting off with your gun while riding there are innocent people you can hit.

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #39
KawiKid860

I think the general consensus guns are a no no. As much as I'd love to beat the crap out of a rude driver, or even a stalker, I don't want someones life on my head nor do I think someone deserves to die just for being an inconsiderate driver. Unless however they cause an accident and kill another motorist/pedestrian/anything. Otherwise a nice ass whooping and losing their license would be a perfect punishment.. but in most cases they end up getting the satisfaction of pissing someone off

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #40
n4mwd

Quote:
I think the general consensus guns are a no no. As much as I'd love to beat the crap out of a rude driver, or even a stalker, I don't want someones life on my head nor do I think someone deserves to die just for being an inconsiderate driver. Unless however they cause an accident and kill another motorist/pedestrian/anything. Otherwise a nice ass whooping and losing their license would be a perfect punishment.. but in most cases they end up getting the satisfaction of pissing someone off
An inconsiderate or rude driver is not what you described. Being inconsiderate or even a jerk driver doesn't warrant your time worrying about.

However, a stalker/bully is a different matter. Those have to be dealt with. That is, someone who is deliberately threatening your life. A non-violent way to deal with the guy would be to get a half dozen or more biker friends to go with you to his house. Knock on the door and tell him that you didn't appreciate him trying to kill you. That might be enough, but if not....

The bottom line is that only you can decide the appropriate course of action when dealing with bad people you encounter on the road.

Me, I have a zero tolerance policy for people trying to kill me (in case you haven't figured it out already).