Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:20 PM   #1
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 Ninja 300

Planned build

Hey guys, just through I'd throw this out there, little history on my riding experience and what I want to put together.

Riding experience: 4+ years
Mileage in: < 20,000 miles
Bikes owned: 2011 Ninja 250 (sold), 2012 ZX6R (sold), 2011 Ducati Monster 796 (current)
Track experience: 0
Riding environment: 80% commuting, 20% Lime Creek Road (Austin hill country), annual promise to self to finally get to the track...

So I've been missing my ZX6R ever since I sold it to get the Monster, but I also missed the agility and flickability of the 250. With that in mind, I had been hoping the RC 390 would be the ticket, but after it launched the reviews have said the OEM suspension and brakes are pretty lacking.

The Ninja 300's suspension and brakes are in pretty much the same category, but with the Ninja there's a clear and affordable path to upgrade, so with that in mind, this is what I have planned:

2013 Ninja 300 ABS: $3500
Full suspension R&T: $1,200.00
M4 full carbon exhaust: $563.00
Woodcraft rearset: $342.00
Area P tuner: $250.00
BT-003RS tires: $240.00
PSR levers: $200.00
Woodcraft clipons: $170.00
LED integrated rear light: $150.00
OEM solo cowl: $119.00
K&N panel filter: $63.00
DMP fender eliminator: $49.00
Galfer SS front brake line: $45.00
EBC sintered brake pads: $28.00
Progrip dual dentity 838 grips: $18.00

Total: $6937

What I really want is something that handles as smoothly as the ZX6R did, but don't want to feel like I'm using 20% of the throttle 95% of the time like I did on the ZX6R. The 300 with a full suspension setup and full exhaust and tune seems like just the ticket.

Yes I know I could pick up a used 2013 ZX6R for about $7k too, but I sold my 2012 because I felt like it was just way too powerful to be useful and because I couldn't get anywhere near the limits of the bike. At least with a 300 built out I think I could comfortably push myself to explore the limits more.

Any thoughts, comments, feedback is great. =]
srt4evah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:25 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Buy a race setup bike with a clean title or salvage title that you can update to "rebuilt" so you can ride on the street. Most of the parts will already be installed and ready to go and it will be cheaper. You can add enough lights to be street legal pretty easy enough.

And just for the record, the street is no place to explore the limits of traction.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:26 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

For example; https://weraclassifieds.com/ads/2013...aki-ninja-300/

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:30 PM   #4
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Buy a race setup bike with a clean title or salvage title that you can update to "rebuilt" so you can ride on the street. Most of the parts will already be installed and ready to go and it will be cheaper.

And just for the record, the street is no place to explore the limits of traction.
Ah yeah, I know, I'm not planning to put a knee down on the street, but I really felt more comfortable canyon riding quickly on my 250 than I did on the ZX6R. The ZX6R felt heavier, because it is, and it's not really meant to corner at 25-40mph, it's meant to corner at 100-120mph (or more).

The small ninja was more fun for me to ride through the hills than the ZX6R was, but the brakes and suspension on the ZX6R are in a whole other universe. Hence the desire to update those on the 300 I plan to buy.

I thought about getting a salvage title bike, only problem I have with that is when it comes time to sell it will be worth even less. I know it's not an "investment" in any case, so maybe I'll look at some local bike auctions... good suggestion, thanks.

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:33 PM   #5
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Man, what a nice bike, I would have bought that already if it were still available. I'll keep an eye out, but I want to get something in the next 1-2 months and start building it up.

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:33 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Maybe you can get lucky and find one with a clear title like the one I linked. Either way... best of luck! Gunna be a fun ride for sure.

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:38 PM   #7
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoy the Duc, but it's more for the looks and sound than anything. The ZX6R spoiled me with the supreme suspension and brakes, and reliability. I'll be selling the Monster to pay for the 300 build.

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:53 PM   #8
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

General question for anyone: How do you feel about ABS on the 300?

Is it worth it to find an ABS equipped model? I don't plan to ride in the rain, and I've heard both sides from professional reviewers from "It lacks ABS" to "I will remove the ABS for track duty".

There's a rebuilt 300 for $3000 in my area, it might be an SE based on the fairings but I'm waiting to hear back if it has ABS or not (was ABS standard on the SE?).

Old October 6th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #9
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Found my Ninjette, one-owner 5000 miles 2013 SE for $3k! Picking it up tonight, then I'll start putting together the parts for the build. =]

Old October 6th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
Found my Ninjette, one-owner 5000 miles 2013 SE for $3k! Picking it up tonight, then I'll start putting together the parts for the build. =]
I was going to tell you to get a hold of Team Scream in Round Rock. They have a couple of 300s that fit the bill but since you found one - awesome. Also there are ways to achieve what your looking for at some price reduction on your list - PSR levers for the2wheels and similar.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #11
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I was going to tell you to get a hold of Team Scream in Round Rock. They have a couple of 300s that fit the bill but since you found one - awesome. Also there are ways to achieve what your looking for at some price reduction on your list - PSR levers for the2wheels and similar.
Actually I was at Team Scream a couple weeks ago test riding one they had, it was a 2013 with a couple thousand miles on it for $3000, but salvage title.

I'm lucky, the one I found has a clean title, one owner, in great shape for $3000!

I'll be looking closely at most of the parts list before I buy each item, I'm not particularly preferential on most brands. Thanks!

Old October 6th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Supernam
ninjette.org member

Name: Nam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Actually I was at Team Scream a couple weeks ago test riding one they had, it was a 2013 with a couple thousand miles on it for $3000, but salvage title.

I'm lucky, the one I found has a clean title, one owner, in great shape for $3000!

I'll be looking closely at most of the parts list before I buy each item, I'm not particularly preferential on most brands. Thanks!
I would ride the bike for a while first, at the track especially before spending all this money on mods. You may find that the 300 is not enough for you and you'll be wanting that ZX6R back for the track.

The 300 is enough for me and many others here right now, however eventually I wouldn't rule out a 600 for me after a few seasons of track riding.
Supernam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #13
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernam View Post
I would ride the bike for a while first, at the track especially before spending all this money on mods. You may find that the 300 is not enough for you and you'll be wanting that ZX6R back for the track.

The 300 is enough for me and many others here right now, however eventually I wouldn't rule out a 600 for me after a few seasons of track riding.
Thanks, I'm probably going to look for a 2013 ZX6R for street riding sometime next year too, but I definitely want the 300 for the track and canyon running.

I will ride it for a while before I go all-in for the performance parts, but tires and controls etc. I'll be getting ASAP.

I really don't need the power from a 600/636, but I do appreciate everything a sportbike has to offer, so I'll likely want both in the garage by next year. I know from having the 2011 250 and 2012 ZX6R before that I definitely appreciate what both have to offer, and enjoy both.

Old October 6th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #14
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

A 300 for 3k?? Sweet!! 500 bucks less than planned, Even better!!! Dude plz post pics, i have a feeling imma love this thread..

Old October 6th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #15
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
I really don't need the power from a 600/636, but I do appreciate everything a sportbike has to offer, so I'll likely want both in the garage by next year. I know from having the 2011 250 and 2012 ZX6R before that I definitely appreciate what both have to offer, and enjoy both.
Interestingly what I have decided I want is a Monster - and one of the smaller/midsized ones. I love my 250 but its a little too high strung on the highway speeds even with gearing and two up is also not a big positive for it. I have a track 250 so the street one is a little redundant for my needs.

The 6R is a lovely bike. It excels at all things sportbike, but really sucks at all things practical in my opinion. Its uncomfortable for me unless riding it hard, uncomfortable for my wife to ride pillion. It wants to be ridden hard and I refuse to ride it hard on the street. That is why you go to the track.

My brother Mitch has a Monster 620i and it is really the one bike I would rather have in place of the street 250 and the street 6R. I just don't want to let go of my bikes lol.

Old October 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #16
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Interestingly what I have decided I want is a Monster - and one of the smaller/midsized ones. I love my 250 but its a little too high strung on the highway speeds even with gearing and two up is also not a big positive for it. I have a track 250 so the street one is a little redundant for my needs.

The 6R is a lovely bike. It excels at all things sportbike, but really sucks at all things practical in my opinion. Its uncomfortable for me unless riding it hard, uncomfortable for my wife to ride pillion. It wants to be ridden hard and I refuse to ride it hard on the street. That is why you go to the track.

My brother Mitch has a Monster 620i and it is really the one bike I would rather have in place of the street 250 and the street 6R. I just don't want to let go of my bikes lol.
It's hell, isn't it? I regret selling my 250 and my 6R, and I don't want to fall into that with my Monster now... so I'm gonna just collect the bikes I'll enjoy and not sell them. =]

Just bought a Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust for the Monster today... oops...

I am not sure that the pillion is any better on the Monster than on a Ninja, but it is a big more of a realistic seat. Positioning is about the same though, so it might be slightly better for the butt but it won't feel that much different otherwise.

I got rid of the 6R because I felt the same way, I never rode at more than 20% of what it was capable of and I felt it was a waste to constantly be holding back, so I went for style and form with the Duc (it's still a nice performer too, and more comfy). What I didn't realize was how much I would miss the amazing precision and control of the 6R, hence the reason I want to try to shape the 300 into something similar.

The 300 I'm trying to build I hope will have the kind of control and precision that the 6R had, with the agility and rideability of the 300. I don't need the straightaway power, even at the track, because I'm a beginner at the track anyway.

Old October 6th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #17
Supernam
ninjette.org member

Name: Nam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I would use the ZX6R for track and 300 for the street, that way you can try to use both to it's full potential.
Supernam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #18
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I would use the ZX6R for track and 300 for the street, that way you can try to use both to it's full potential.
And I probably will, but not until I'm riding beyond the 300's capabilities. Having 0 track time right now, the 300 is the bike of choice for the track, for me.

Old October 7th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #19
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
I have met very few people that can use a 300 to its full potential on the track (especially with sticky tires and suspension upgrades), trying on the street it just stupid. The reality is I can lap quicker on a 250 than more than half of the I group on 600s/1000s at trackdays, and I am midpack novice race pace. The expert racers on 250s can drop me like a rock. Like most things people overestimate their abilities and underestimate what the bike is capable of.........let alone a modern 600 supersport.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #20
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Rode it last night and this morning. Couldn't be happier, I really missed the easy going, agile, playful nature of the small Ninja. The IRCs are pretty bad for me, I slid a bit through a corner last night. I'm used to Bridgestone S20 EVOs for the last few years, ordering a set in stock size today.

Can anyone advise me on clip-ons? I see there are a few options, PSR, Woodcraft with risers, etc., do I need or want risers? What I am looking for is a more aggressive steering setup, I don't mind leaning forward a bit and I'm pretty sure none of the clip-ons will make it as aggressive as my 6R was or even the Monster I have now.

Do I need the risers if I'm looking for that more aggressive setup, or is that for people who want to have a less aggressive more upright stance? If that's the case, then the PSRs seem to be the right choice for me.

Old October 7th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #21
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Rode it last night and this morning. Couldn't be happier, I really missed the easy going, agile, playful nature of the small Ninja. The IRCs are pretty bad for me, I slid a bit through a corner last night. I'm used to Bridgestone S20 EVOs for the last few years, ordering a set in stock size today.

Can anyone advise me on clip-ons? I see there are a few options, PSR, Woodcraft with risers, etc., do I need or want risers? What I am looking for is a more aggressive steering setup, I don't mind leaning forward a bit and I'm pretty sure none of the clip-ons will make it as aggressive as my 6R was or even the Monster I have now.

Do I need the risers if I'm looking for that more aggressive setup, or is that for people who want to have a less aggressive more upright stance? If that's the case, then the PSRs seem to be the right choice for me.
You need the risers to clear the body work. If you don't plan on going lock to lock you could potentially use the ones without risers, but I highly doubt it.

Old October 7th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #22
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
You need the risers to clear the body work. If you don't plan on going lock to lock you could potentially use the ones without risers, but I highly doubt it.
Ah, thank you, I'll stick with the Woodcrafts.

Old October 7th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #23
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Full suspension R&T: $1,200.00
What do you have in mind for the suspension?

The little Ninjas come with weak fork springs (though the NewGen/300 is least bad). $100 for new springs could help quite a bit, depending on how much you weigh. I like my Ricor Intiminators ($180) but have no track experience. Guys on other forums were comparing them to $1000+ fork upgrades, so I'd say they're at least a good value.

There's some question about the rear spring's rate, but the calculators seem to indicate it's too stiff for the average Ninjette rider. Especially with soft fork springs, that could lead to some wonky suspension action. A GSXR shock (<$50) can be made to fit without a ton of work, and offers multiple adjustments.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the proper parts, but there might be some ways to get most of the improvement, while saving quite a bit of cash. Especially without a ton of experience, top-dollar parts may not really even be noticed over "pretty good" budget upgrades.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #24
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
What do you have in mind for the suspension?

The little Ninjas come with weak fork springs (though the NewGen/300 is least bad). $100 for new springs could help quite a bit, depending on how much you weigh. I like my Ricor Intiminators ($180) but have no track experience. Guys on other forums were comparing them to $1000+ fork upgrades, so I'd say they're at least a good value.

There's some question about the rear spring's rate, but the calculators seem to indicate it's too stiff for the average Ninjette rider. Especially with soft fork springs, that could lead to some wonky suspension action. A GSXR shock (<$50) can be made to fit without a ton of work, and offers multiple adjustments.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the proper parts, but there might be some ways to get most of the improvement, while saving quite a bit of cash. Especially without a ton of experience, top-dollar parts may not really even be noticed over "pretty good" budget upgrades.
R&T is Road and Track, a shop in San Antonio that does suspension work. The $1200 is full price with install for front and rear suspension.

Front includes gold valves, springs, seals , fluid, "polishing" of fork tubes, custom damper rod mods etc., rear consists of parts from a GSXR and ZX6R shock with new bearings, spring, etc., basically rebuilt and refurbished and customized for the 300 and my personal preferences.

Not sure the nitty gritty but R&T has done this build plenty of times, they tell me it's been used to win many CMRA races already.

Old October 8th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #25
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ For $1200 installed at a known shop with experience on your model bike, that's a good deal!! Only thing that would sway me if I were you is cartridge drop-in's vs the racetech emulators since it's going to be a track-only bike.

But those are pricey
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #26
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

From everything I have heard, you should be in good hands with R&T. At some point I imagine I will get one of their Frankenshocks for the rear of my track ninjette. I only really go to a shop for things I can't do for lack of tools/equipment but for some that are less than comfortable modifying their own forks, spending the cash to have a reputable shop take care of it can be worth the piece of mind.

Old October 8th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #27
srt4evah
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ For $1200 installed at a known shop with experience on your model bike, that's a good deal!! Only thing that would sway me if I were you is cartridge drop-in's vs the racetech emulators since it's going to be a track-only bike.

But those are pricey
Nah it's not going to be track-only, I want it to be streetable still, just want it to perform more like a sportbike and less like a beginner bike. They do offer cartridges for $1500, but I'm not going that hardcore, the bike itself was only $3k =].

Quote:
From everything I have heard, you should be in good hands with R&T. At some point I imagine I will get one of their Frankenshocks for the rear of my track ninjette. I only really go to a shop for things I can't do for lack of tools/equipment but for some that are less than comfortable modifying their own forks, spending the cash to have a reputable shop take care of it can be worth the piece of mind.
I could probably wrench my way around the whole job, but I'd rather have someone who's done it a few times and knows any idiosyncrasies of the platform handle it. I'm ok with bolting up a full exhaust, changing oil, most of the controls and stuff etc.