ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Closed Thread

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Lightbulb SV650 shock

So I just ordered up my SV 650 Shock, I'll be mounting it as soon as it gets here, I can't wait. The stock pregen stock was crushed up my 220 lbs haha, My licence plate is proof! Anyone riding with a sv650 shock on the 250? Opinions pro or con?

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Installing_an_SV650_shock

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Yeah I got that part. Thanks man

Does anyone here have an opinion on riding with the sv650 shock? Too stiff? What am I in for? Anyone else done it?

Old April 25th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't know about the 650 shock, but I'm running a current 250 shock and it's great. You'll definitely know it when it's too stiff, you get jarred. If you think the 650 shock is too stiff, the newgen 250 shock is definitely the way to go

Old April 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'm curious as to why you're so set on the SV-650 shock? It doesn't sound like a great solution to your situation. Is it because you can get one really cheap? If it's a price thing, I understand, I know a lot of folks can't get past that point and will go to great lengths to make something work just because it was cheap.

But if you want something that's amazingly functional, high quality, durable and very adjustable I'd recommend the Hagon aftermarket shock. It's a great solution for any road riding application.

And if you're going to upgrade the shock it would be a sin not to do the forks: Sonic Springs (maybe .80 or .85 for a guy your size), Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators, and 15 weight fork oil (if I remember correctly).

And considering the fact that your bike is a 2000 year model, if you've never done the swingarm servicing and the Uni-Trak shock linkage servicing then you're way overdue. You'd be amazed how this work improves the feel of the bike's back end.

Having both the front and rear suspension upgraded, properly maintained and dialed in custom to your weight is incredible. It takes your EX-250 experience to a whole new level.

Old April 25th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #6
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Not that price is everything, but you're taking a $40 mod and launching it way into the triple digits...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
I'm curious as to why you're so set on the SV-650 shock? It doesn't sound like a great solution to your situation. Is it because you can get one really cheap? If it's a price thing, I understand, I know a lot of folks can't get past that point and will go to great lengths to make something work just because it was cheap.

But if you want something that's amazingly functional, high quality, durable and very adjustable I'd recommend the Hagon aftermarket shock. It's a great solution for any road riding application.

And if you're going to upgrade the shock it would be a sin not to do the forks: Sonic Springs (maybe .80 or .85 for a guy your size), Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators, and 15 weight fork oil (if I remember correctly).

And considering the fact that your bike is a 2000 year model, if you've never done the swingarm servicing and the Uni-Trak shock linkage servicing then you're way overdue. You'd be amazed how this work improves the feel of the bike's back end.

Having both the front and rear suspension upgraded, properly maintained and dialed in custom to your weight is incredible. It takes your EX-250 experience to a whole new level.

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #7
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Not that price is everything, but you're taking a $40 mod and launching it way into the triple digits...
Well, apparently it is all about price for you.

Old April 26th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #8
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Exclamation

AFAIK, if the rear shock is super high strung, as in case of upgrading OEM to SV rear shock, much of the road shock not absorbed by the rear shock will transfer to the softer front forks, make the front suspension work even harder.
If your front end is diving like crazy before the rear shock change, the diving would likely get worse afterwords.

Old April 26th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
He's actually turning a mod into an actual upgrade. A $500 exhaust is not going to give the same bolt on bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Ja View Post
AFAIK, if the rear shock is super high strung, as in case of upgrading OEM to SV rear shock, much of the road shock not absorbed by the rear shock will transfer to the softer front forks, make the front suspension work even harder. If your front end is diving like crazy before the rear shock change, the diving would likely get worse afterwords.
What happens is that the weakness/softness becomes more noticeable, since the rear is actually working. The excess road shock not absorbed by the rear shock gets transmited to the rider.

Old April 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #10
CynicalC

Quote:
Well, apparently it is all about price for you.
I think you have me confused with the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
He's actually turning a mod into an actual upgrade. A $500 exhaust is not going to give the same bolt on bang for the buck.
It's easy to spend money when it's not yours though. I didn't read anything about a $500 exhaust in this thread.

Old April 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #11
greg737
-

Quote:
I think you have me confused with the OP.
Oh no, there's no confusion at all. Not a bit.

I know exactly who you are, on this thread you're choosing to be the douchebag who always shows up acting like somebody's miserable, penny-pinching, guilt-distributing Mother, turning any modification or upgrade discussion into a "how cheap can I be" competition.

Quote:
It's easy to spend money when it's not yours though. I didn't read anything about a $500 exhaust in this thread.
See, there you go Mom... Yes, you occupy the moral high ground. Good thing you got here in time to put everyone in their place. Your shrill (bitchy, female sounding) disapproval will bring everyone to their senses and prevent them from squandering their hard earned money on those evil motorcycles!

Last futzed with by greg737; April 26th, 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Old April 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #12
CynicalC

Quote:
Oh no, there's no confusion at all. Not a bit.

I know exactly who you are, on this thread you're choosing to be the douchebag who always shows up acting like somebody's miserable, penny-pinching, guilt-distributing Mother, turning any modification or upgrade discussion into a "how cheap can I be" competition.

See, there you go Mom... Yes, you occupy the moral high ground. Good thing you got here in time to put everyone in their place. Your shrill (bitchy, female sounding) disapproval will bring everyone to their senses and prevent them from squandering their hard earned money on those evil motorcycles!
Listen prick, you don't know a thing about me or what I spend my money on. It's obvious that the OP has his own financial limitations. So while your post is plenty informative, and a route that I would be likely to take myself if I felt the need for an upgrade, it doesn't seem like it would be a very good option for him. He already ordered the part in question, and just wanted some opinions on it from someone with experience (read: Not your stupid ass) So the real douchebag move was you coming into the thread just to tell him that he made a bad decision and should have spent more money on X instead. Go you!

Old April 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Please take it to PM's people; we've all attended the "here's why arguing on the internet is ultimately useless" seminar, right?

Rules we've agreed to play by: ninjette.org TOS

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #14
greg737
-

Quote:
you don't know a thing about me or what I spend my money on. It's obvious that the OP has his own financial limitations. So while your post is plenty informative, and a route that I would be likely to take myself if I felt the need for an upgrade, it doesn't seem like it would be a very good option for him.
Did you happen to read your own post?

In sentence #1 you tell me that I shouldn't assume to know anything about you, and in sentence #2 you make an assumption about the OP, leap to the conclusion that he's practically pennyless and appoint yourself his protector against my thoughtless advice. Well now, pot, meet kettle.

Why don't you just manage your own life. I didn't notice the OP begging for you to butt in set everyone straight.

Quote:
Listen prick
Quote:
(read: Not your stupid ass)
I like how quickly you went to the profanity. Don't have a big vocabulary at your disposal, do you?

Closed Thread