ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

The English Language

It does not surprise me that people have trouble learning the English language. It is really very confusing. We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway. And to top it off, freeways are not free. Just a brain fart I had.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Then there's things like ain't, ya'll, yonder. For the life of me Yankees still haven't figured out "sweet tea". For goodness sakes guys get on board.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
kkim

wut???
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #4
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Then there's things like ain't, ya'll, yonder. For the life of me Yankees still haven't figured out "sweet tea". For goodness sakes guys get on board.

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #5
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

rules

don't forget the rule "i before e except after c"

except beige and glacier

and Budweiser, (no wait, that doesn't count, its not English)

nb

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #6
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Americanisms

What about the braille instructions on drive up ATM's?

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #7
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Quote:
I love the south and all but you guys and your sweet tea.... nasty nasty nasty....
KKim, make a batch of Ice tea and pour 5 lbs of sugar in it.
They really get a lot done after drinking that stuff. I drink my tea with no sugar.
hey , you'in's gotta get together with us'ins
so we'in's can get a ride in Look I used all three

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #8
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Some rules for the South

This is for the non Southerners in the group.

As for me, yeah I live in Hawaii, but I spent my first 22 yrs in SC

Enjoy

If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic, four men in a four-wheel*drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to*help them, just stay out of their way, this is what they live for.
Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.... Do not buy any food at this store.
Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's"*is plural possessive.
Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"
Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use*it.
Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying. They can't*understand you either.
The first Southern statement to creep into a transplanted Northerner's*vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol," truck or "big'ol" boy. Most*Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them*are in denial about it. The proper pronunciation you learned in school is*no longer proper.
Be advised that "He needed killin" is a valid defense here.
If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this," you should*immediately move aside and stay out of the way. These are likely to be the*last words he'll ever say.
If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest*accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store.*It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not, you just have to go*there.
Do not be surprised to find that 10-year-olds own their own shotguns,*they are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.
In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is*to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.
AND REMEMBER:
If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept*them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we*wouldn't call 'em biscuits.

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
don't forget the rule "i before e except after c"

except beige and glacier
Glacier has a c in it...

I just read about a common language for my composition class. Did you guys know theres 1,100+million people who speak chinese and only about 372 million who speak english as there primary language? Also one in seven americans dont use english as there primary language when at home talking amongst family and such.
Some stuff I found interesting from the article.

Old February 12th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

NB, I don't think some of the people here understand that where I come from, every single one of those qoutes is true. Very true in fact. Oh... too true...

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #11
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
NB, I don't think some of the people here understand that where I come from, every single one of those qoutes is true. Very true in fact. Oh... too true...
Corey Beth (2 first names)..of course they are true..sho 'nuff! When I moved to the DC area, 30+ years ago, I had to learn to speak faster. People were actually falling asleep listening to me talk!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #12
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Corey Beth (2 first names)..of course they are true..sho 'nuff! When I moved to the DC area, 30+ years ago, I had to learn to speak faster. People were actually falling asleep listening to me talk!
When I get wound up, I can talk faster than any yankee, A friend that I used to work with, from NY, was constantly asking if I was sure I was from the South, because all the southerners he knew talked.....real.....slow.

nb

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept*them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we*wouldn't call 'em biscuits.
I'll have more to say after I'm done laughing. Oh my sides hurt. It must be time for my medication.

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Sailariel

I love Grits. I fix them with cheese and then put butter and Maple Syrup on them. I also like Sweet Tea.

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #15
OldGuy
Live Life

If you're not from the south this won't make much sense but Alex reminds me of a time when I was in Nuclear Power School in Bainbridge, MD. Every morning they had a big pot of grits at the mess hall. My room mate was from the south - "Landis Hyres". Don't ask why I remember that name after 45 years but i used to drive that southern boy totally nuts every time I ate grits like they were cream of wheat - milk and sugar.

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Sailariel

Don, I`ll have to try that. Honey is also great on Grits. I love the South. When we lived on Ariel III, we particularly enjoyed Virginia and the Carolinas. The people were so nice. The hospitality could not be beat. We particularly liked Elizabeth City, NC, Beaufort, NC, Oriental, and New Bern. Beaufort, SC and Ladies Island bring back great memories. When our responsibilities end in caring for my father-in-law (he has cancer) We may go cruising again. We are doing a complete refit of the boat in the hope we can go cruising again--and spend time in Virginia and the Carolinas.

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #17
OldGuy
Live Life

Sounds like a you will have a well deserved trip.

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #18
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

grits...

I don't think that I have ever ate grits in that fashion. I have always had them with butter and salt.

nb

Old February 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #19
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

FTW NB. Grits with butter and salt is the best! Southern Hospitality is a true fact and I don't care what anyone else has to say. I've traveled all around the world and no one is as generous as someone from the South East. Mostly I think it has to do with we are bored and have to know what's going on so we ask our neighbors their life story. People in big cities just seem more concerned with themselves and their paycheck so they have no time to sit and enjoy a glass of sweet tea on the front porch, or even open a door for someone else. While I know thie is a glaring generality, As a whole I believe it to be true. There are great things about every single region of the world. Some of them I personally prefer not to live in.

On a name note, I know two brothers... Their names are Hunter Britt Bailey and Fisher Wade Bailey. I giggle every time I say it out loud.

AAB, I'm sorry to hear your situation. Back when gas was cheap my dad was looking for a ocean going Hateras (sp?) so he could cruise down the Tom Bigby and head over to South America. He wanted to live on a boat but I don't think my stepmom would have liked that. Different story though. Anyways, I hope everything clears up and you get to enjoy our beautiful coastlines soon. Remember lavid2002 is in the Coast Gaurd so be nice to him, you never know when he'll be yanking your hide out of the water.

Old February 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #20
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
I don't think that I have ever ate grits in that fashion. I have always had them with butter and salt.

nb
and sometimes with red eye gravy......

Old February 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #21
Sailariel

Quote:
FTW NB. Grits with butter and salt is the best! Southern Hospitality is a true fact and I don't care what anyone else has to say. I've traveled all around the world and no one is as generous as someone from the South East. Mostly I think it has to do with we are bored and have to know what's going on so we ask our neighbors their life story. People in big cities just seem more concerned with themselves and their paycheck so they have no time to sit and enjoy a glass of sweet tea on the front porch, or even open a door for someone else. While I know thie is a glaring generality, As a whole I believe it to be true. There are great things about every single region of the world. Some of them I personally prefer not to live in.

On a name note, I know two brothers... Their names are Hunter Britt Bailey and Fisher Wade Bailey. I giggle every time I say it out loud.

AAB, I'm sorry to hear your situation. Back when gas was cheap my dad was looking for a ocean going Hateras (sp?) so he could cruise down the Tom Bigby and head over to South America. He wanted to live on a boat but I don't think my stepmom would have liked that. Different story though. Anyways, I hope everything clears up and you get to enjoy our beautiful coastlines soon. Remember lavid2002 is in the Coast Gaurd so be nice to him, you never know when he'll be yanking your hide out of the water.
Everything you say about the South is absolutely true. Can`t do salt on Grits because of high BP--but can still enjoy them. The South is more mellow. People are in no great rush and stop to smell the roses. Maine is very much like that as well--except that it really gets cold here. Southerners are very polite and civil--something that has been lost in many places. Originally having been brought up in Europe, the South is probably more "European" than anyplace in the US. It is a charm that I hope it never loses.

Old February 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #22
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Now y'all be nice now, you hear? Those of us in the south absolutely love it and know you're fixin' to be coming this way! And Zartan, you don't have the recipe quite right! It's only about 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar in the tea, and boy is it yummy!
And I have to say, the twang my son has developed at daycare is absolutely adorable! Even if it is a bit alarming at times
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #23
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

AAB, the funny thing is that Southerners would probably be offended to be compared to Europeans. It's true though. I've traveled through some of the European Union and out in the countryside of Germany, France and Italy the people are nothing but nice. I think some people down here get Yankee and big city people confused. People in Pennsylvania and Maryland seem to be very nice. With that said, people in Baltimore and Philadelphia aren't as nice.

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #24
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
And Zartan, you don't have the recipe quite right! It's only about 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar in the tea, and boy is it yummy!
ha! ok maybe a little .. only 1.5 cups. Not in my inlaws house. TR's dad is a sugarholic. yikes.
it is maddening when he visits and we go out to eat and he opens about 50 packs of sugar for his tea.

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #25
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Today for Valentines my family has a tradition of gathering at my Nana's for chocolate fondue. Chocolate fountain, fruits and candies covered in chocolate. I can tell you now there will be sweet tea on top of that. That's what I'm talkin about.

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #26
Sailariel

C.B. Enjoy Valentine`s Day. It is sunny and clear here. We will probably go down to the harbour and sit on the boat a while --maybe even start the diesel. (Have you ever heard of the trick starting a cold diesel by sticking a hair dryer into the air intake?" Works great. I agree with you about cities--which is why we left the big city 16 years ago. Belfast is only 3600 people

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #27
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
With that said, people in Baltimore and Philadelphia aren't as nice.
Of course, excluding BlueTyke!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #28
conchwanab
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Always enjoyed traveling through the southern states on trips to Florida.People in the south have always been very friendly and willing to lend a hand if needed.I still do'nt fully understand McDonalds selling sweet tea in northeast Ohio it just is'nt the same!!And I always love the fact that a southerner can spot a yankee at a hunred paces.Of course the pale skin or blazin sunburn of someone from the north might stick out in southern Florida at times!!
conchwanab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #29
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Of course, excluding BlueTyke!

There's always one in every group huh?

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #30
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Chickens

Years ago, my family was on vacation in Charleston SC, visiting one of the old plantations, when a family went crazy over seeing a rooster, never had saw one. Both of my parents grew up on farms and my sister and I were around them as we grew up. All of us got a kick out of people that had never seen a chicken walking around. Here on Oahu, they walk around wild, see them all the time.

Last futzed with by ninjabrewer; February 15th, 2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: corrected my misspelings....
ninjabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #31
kkim

come over to Kauai... them wild roosters are crowing at 2am in the farkin' morning!!

did you know those wild chickens are a protected here on Kauai (I'm not sure about Oahu)?

Old February 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #32
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

I remember wringing chickens. I hated it. But they were tasty.

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #33
kkim

Quote:
I remember wringing chickens. I hated it. But they were tasty.
sorry, but that's funny.

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #34
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
did you know those wild chickens are a protected here on Kauai (I'm not sure about Oahu)?
...what is bad...is when tourist ask if da chicken is like...the state bird...

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #35
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

We passed a roadkill law a while back. Any animals hit on the road can be claimed and... well you can do whatever you want with them I reckon. Alot of people will claim deer if they hit them. Possums are pretty rampant too. 250Biker commented on how many skunks we have, though I personally haven't heard of anyone claiming a skunk.

Old February 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #36
conchwanab
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

we claim deer roadkill in Ohio as long as you do'nt need a shovel for pickup!!!Cheaper than deer tags and hunting license
conchwanab is offline   Reply With Quote