ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 96 Ninja 250EX , 87 CBR 1000, 86 TRX 260R, 86 KXT 250, 84 ATC 200X, 82 ATC 250R (w/CR480)

Kaboom 95 ninja

Well I got a free ninjette from a neighbor it was a 96 and it was a basket case... I put it together over the winter and got it running this spring... Was having an issue with oil pressure once it warmed up... Oil light would come on below about 1800 rpm or so ... I messed with several oils and nothing changed.. Was riding alone at about 5000rpm and oil light came on and KABOOM THE MOTOR LET GO.. This was the end of April .... I ended up scoring two motors off a guy parting out some ninjas... both are supposed to run one is a 96 with 4400miles and other is unknown mileage or year.... GOT EM FOR $160 for the pair...
pic is in bike

here is one out of bike
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 96 Ninja 250EX , 87 CBR 1000, 86 TRX 260R, 86 KXT 250, 84 ATC 200X, 82 ATC 250R (w/CR480)

Fast foreword to July ... It's been a hell of a busy summer.. Finished some other bikes went on a couple EPIC dune rides ( Moab Utah , St Anthony Idaho ).. Work has been crazy but finally found time to get to ninja... Pulled motor this week and got the valve covers off of the two motors I picked up... All looks good when they turn over as soon as my girl gets home ill run a compression test on em both and decide which will go into bike.... I'm leaning more toward the 96 just because i know more about it..

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #3
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Sorry to hear your motor in your Ninja failed, but at least you've gotten a pretty good deal on a couple of replacement engines. I've had to replace mine as well. Good luck and get it back on the road soon.
Tony

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #4
radioflyer
ninjette.org member

Name: ivan

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja

Kaboom indeed!! Well done!...Well played! I bet that was a hoot going down the road!? Hope you get it back to riding soon.
radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Those are some awesome pics lol!
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

thats crazy! how loud was it when it blew? Have never seen anything like that before
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Well I got both spares tested compression looks good on em... I got one in the bike and just about all hooked up... Picked up a new battery and some oil today.. The old stuff had quite a bit of fuel In it... Ill hopefully try and fire it tonight...

It was a hoot when it let go I think it was the balancer shaft and some of the oil pump gears let go when it let go sounded like someone hit the cases with a sledgehammer ... Oil went everywhere the bike still would run but as soon as you gave it gas the balancer would flop around and make all kinds of noise

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

GOOD NEWS..... Got the motor in the bike... It starts and runs well... Seems to have a bit more power then the old one... Put A little over 30 miles on it today ...
RAN into a few issues
#1 runs good around town but when I get it out on the highway where I'm running 8000rps constantly it seems to run itself out of gas ... Between some gunk in the tank getting into the fuel filter I think it ends up restricting fuel flow and leans out the carbs... I'm gonna try an auto parts store tomorrow and see if I can't get a better filter with more surface area to flow more fuel
#2 under hard acceleration clutch slips at or above 10000rpm I think it just may be a little out of adjustment cable a little too tight ill mess with that a little more tomorrow
#3 need to loosen up the chain just a bit it seems a lil tight for my liking

Overall so far so good I hope to get another 100 miles or so on it this week and then take Leslie for her first lessons next weekend

Old July 13th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
#2 under hard acceleration clutch slips at or above 10000rpm I think it just may be a little out of adjustment cable a little too tight ill mess with that a little more tomorrow
#3 need to loosen up the chain just a bit it seems a lil tight for my liking

Overall so far so good I hope to get another 100 miles or so on it this week and then take Leslie for her first lessons next weekend
Would try clutch springs. Those wear out over time. My 90 ninja with 11k miles on it showed a bit of age in my clutch springs. They are only 7 bucks to get them.

Also best to keep the chain 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". That is where my bike like to have it with the 15 front sprocket.

Old July 14th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Rollingmenace
ninjette.org member

Clutch issue worked out... I just had the cable too tight set the free play and now no more issues with high rpm slippage....
Chain has been loostened up....
Still coming across fuel and carb issues switched to a bigger fuel filter that seemed to help ... Then was having issues like it was fuel starved again.... Pulled the carbs drained the bowls and the right bowl had alot less fuel in it than the other pulled carbs apart.... Cleaned carbs really well found some issues with the needle valve as well as made small adjustment on float height... I think I'll buy another carb kit and put new needles in....

Ran bike for a short while afterwards with no issues but I really need to take it out and run it to see if I got it taken care of....

Was able to take it out and let Leslie ride it for her first ever time on two wheels she did pretty good had 2 very small tip overs stopping ... We really need to work on the whole starting and stoping .... Bike ran well until I had to put it on reserve and all the crap that I couldn't get out with the cleaning plugged up the petcock ... Gotta love bikes that have been sitting for over a decade... I took it home
Rinsed tank out again with some old premix I had and cleaned out petcock .. Threw it back together and gave it 2.5 gal of fresh gas it started up and idled good but it has been raining for over 3 hours ill have to wait till tomorrow to really shake it down.....