ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
azia
ninjette.org member

Name: Lindsay

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Help! Dewinterizing But Bike Won't Idle Without Choke

So yesterday bf and I went to install my new lowering kit. We're all finished and I went to start the bike for the first time since winterizing late last fall.

We winterized by adding new gas with stabil, taking battery out and putting on tender and oild change.

We started the bike with choke fully open and it revved really high. Then we closed choke half way and it started revving erratically. Soon as we closed choke, the bike died.

Later last night bf checked bike again. Same thing only less erratic.

Tonight we first tried with choke 3/4 open and no throttle, let it run for almost 10 minutes. It was revving around 3000 rpm. Turned choke down to 1/2 open and it revved around 2500rpm. Very minimal erratic revving (barely noticeable). Let it sit there for another 5 minutes or so but nothing happened. Slowly tried to turn choke off and it died out.

After that, tried to adjust the idle with no affect. Also added some throttled periodically. No effect either. Bf rode it around the building garage once and it stalled when he took both throttle and choke off. Parked it back and tried the whole thing again. Nothing's changed.

Help!! PS: I know very VERY little mechanically so please don't talk "shop". Lol!
azia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Ya made it! lol welcome. Good bunch of guys here. Only one that seems to do e-humping is kkim and he'll love you more because of your green rim tape

Check rynownd's post that I sent you, because draining the bowls solved my problem too. Otherwise I've had hesitations/choke problems on my bike but a can of seafoam fixed it right up.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If it's running, but just needs a little choke, I'd take it for a decent length ride, 30+ minutes at a minimum. Let everything come up to temp, let a decent amount of fuel get through the carbs, and see what happens. Seems like you did everything right winterizing the bike, and it was running when you did that, so the first assumption needs to be that nothing is fundamentally wrong. Once some fuel burns off, add some fresh fuel, perhaps even high-octane, as the octane level does drop, even if only slightly, as fuel ages.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #4
kkim

moi?

Yep, that you got it started is saying fuel is getting to the carbs, just that it's most likely gummed up or water has settled in there. Drain the bowls and see if it starts after that. You may need to put the fuel petcock into the prime position to get the fuel to refill the bowls.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I have the same issue. Here's what I do when its in the 40s (Fahrenheit) and it's a cold start.

1. Start the engine with the choke all the way on.

2. Watch the revs and take the choke down so that the bike is not revving past 2500 - 3000 RPMS. Sometimes when its really cold, you gotta let it rev a bit higher than that but not too high. Having the choke all the way on is only for initially starting the bike when its cold.
NOTE: I do not want it rev it too high because some parts will heat up faster than others which could lead to problems down the road with some metal parts having expanded due to the heat while others are still cold and contracted. Some might think otherwise, but I think this is a good precaution doing it this way because everything (including seals and stuff like that) warms up gradually and expands together.

3. Sometimes giving it just a bit of gas helps to get things under control. The choke should do almost all of the work though.

3. Keep watching those RPMS and see if you can take the choke down more and more as the bike warms up. As the bike warms up, it will tend to rev higher so keep decreasing the choke.

4. Once the choke has been lowered considerably and the bike has warmed up a bit, you can look to get the bike into idling range which is about 1300-1500 rpms. You can tell that it's about time for this when the revs are under more control.

5. After following this procedure, the bike is running in the idle range and the choke is on at its minimum, just before turning it off completely. If I turn it off, the bike stalls. It is at this point that I start riding with the choke on at minimum.

6 Sometimes, when I first put it into first gear it will stall. Don't worry about it. Just hold down the clutch and start it back up.

7. After riding around for a bit (sometimes as much as 15-20 minutes), I can turn the choke off entirely and it will idle fine. Just don't forget to turn it off when you can!!

Every bike is different but if you follow this general procedure, you shouldn't have any problems. PATIENCE IS KEY. Eventually, you'll learn what works for your bike. When the weather gets warmer, the process becomes muuuuch easier. Hopefully you understood all that.

Also, how cold is it? I'd wait till warmer weather starts before thinking that anything is wrong with the carbs.
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
kkim

shimming the carb needles would help the cold starting problems.

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Speedster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kham

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninj 250r (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
shimming the carb needles would help the cold starting problems.
I didn't winterized my bike, but I did do the shimming the carb needles. My bike start up okay in the cold weather.
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
I didn't winterized my bike, but I did do the shimming the carb needles. My bike start up okay in the cold weather.
did you take the snorkel off, too, while you were shimming?

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Speedster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kham

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninj 250r (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
did you take the snorkel off, too, while you were shimming?
yes, I took the snorkel off also.
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #10
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by azia View Post
We winterized by adding new gas with stabil, taking battery out and putting on tender and oild change.
Did you drain the bowls, before putting the bike away? If not, I'll bet the float needle is gummed up. You might try spraying some carb cleaner directly in the carbs (disconnect the gas tank hose and spray in the hose), after draining the bowls. Let it set overnight and fire it up.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #11
azia
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the advice everyone! Was way too tired last night to continue on.

Will drain the fuel bowl (wait, that's the same thing as "draining the float bown" or "draining the carbs", right?) tonight. I see it's just opening the screw tap and letting it drain out? Then running the engine with petcock set to PRI to get it flow back into the carbs....

Sounds about right?

Then maybe riding it around the garage a few times. It's 1C/35F right now. Where's my SUMMER?!!

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #12
g21-30

I was asking if you drained the bowls, prior to storing the bike. If not, the alcohol tends to gum up the internal parts, i.e. float needle, etc. If this needle doesn't open completely, the bowl doesn't fill completely and fuel doesn't flow as it should.

What a gummed up bowl looks like:

Another pic:

You can drain the bowls via the screws you mentioned. Disconnect the fuel hose from the tank and pour carb cleaner into the bowls. Let is set overnight and either crank the bike with the bowls full of cleaner or drain it and reconnect to the tank and run gas.

If the carbs are so bad that you need to disassemble them, then you can use this to clean them:

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Last futzed with by g21-30; March 10th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #13
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Hi Lindsay - good to see you made it over, and I'm happy to hear that you got the bike lowered
Welcome to the site, and good luck getting her running!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #14
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

Name: mason

sta-bil is the devil!!!! ive been in the lawn and garden industry for over 20 years and most of the 2 and 4 stroke engine problems are a result of stabil. here in ohio its widely known that both BP and Shell gasolines are also troublesome when left over the winter with sta-bil in them. im only speaking from personal history (god i all of a sudden feel old) but whether it be tractors, mowers, chainsaws etc. that i've worked on most of the issues with winterization have been due to sta-bil. there are other stabilizers that work fabulously without problem. a little research from some local mechanics may help rectify your current situation...
thebulbousone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #15
kkim

can you name a few that work well? that would help tons next winter.

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #16
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

surprisingly enough the john deere brand stabilizer works awesome in 2 and 4 stroke. i worked at a deere dealership for years and we used that exclusively. the brand i chose for my bike i got from iron pony in columbus,ohio was a brand called Spectro. its red in color in a clear bottle with easy squeeze measuring. its an american product distributed from canada. ( does that make sense?) the harley guys use Spectro oil because its made in the u.s.a. and they swear by it. my bike sat for 3.5 months and i went out 2 weeks ago and fired it right up. i had rejetted just prior and the fuel bowls were spotless! seems like good stuff so far. also, i only use 91 or higher octane from sunoco. sunoco, marathon, certified, and all the other "off" brand fuels seem to burn better in tractors and mowers so i just used that same logic when filling my bike. seems to be doing just fine so far....

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #17
kkim

this stuff?

I used to use only Golden Spectro premix oil in my two strokes. Great oil.

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #18
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

thats it. all the guys at iron pony that i talked to recommended it.

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

hmmm I'll have to see if we can even get that spectro stuff in Canada. But from the sounds of it, some seafoam as a fuel stabilizer works too... and I swear by that stuff now

Old March 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #20
g21-30

See my previous post for pics and other details.

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #21
azia
ninjette.org member

g21-30, thanks for the pics! very helpful!

unfortunately, didn't have much time as i'm leaving in about 5-6 hours for vacay and haven't done a single thing!

tonight we drained the carbs and put it in a glass bottle. it looked clear with a slight yellow tinge. there was about a table spoon of dirty water but i'm afraid that might also be from the ice tea in it earlier.

anyways, we started it up and let it run for about 5 minutes but then my bf noticed that the header was glowing bright red so we turned off the choke and it immediately died off, then i turned the bike off completely. does anyone know what is causing that? bad tank of gas?

if not, gonna have to work on it after i get back NEXT week. ARGH!!

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #22
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Not entirely if this is a good thing to test for or not...so if yes or no could someone say it haha. I'd say check the little idle knob. No idea why it would happen but maybe if as you shut the choke off turn the knob to raise the idle to keep it where you want it. Keep lowering the chocke and twisting the knob until eventually the choke is all the way off and just the idle knob was used to keep it in the right rev range. Then i'd go for a ride and make sure that the revs stay normal, if as the bike warms up it idles higher just lower the knob back down. I could be completly wrong so someone else lemme know if I am haha
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #23
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

edit: i didn't even notice, but the post before me said that same thing. doh!

this probably isn't it... but one day i tried to turn on my bike with the choke as usual. it seemed to be warming up fine, but when i turned the choke off, it would die off. tried 3 times with the same results.

my bike worked fine the time before, so i couldn't figure out what happened. i hadn't changed anything.

anyways, with my little knowledge of my bike i tried just turning the idle control knob on the left side of the bike until it was able to idle on its own again. that did the trick. still don't know why i had to do it though. been running ok again ever since.

probably not the solution for your bike, but it is so simple to do that it is worth a shot. hope you find out what is wrong.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #24
Suey250
Da Peon

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulbousone View Post
sta-bil is the devil!!!! ive been in the lawn and garden industry for over 20 years and most of the 2 and 4 stroke engine problems are a result of stabil. here in ohio its widely known that both BP and Shell gasolines are also troublesome when left over the winter with sta-bil in them. im only speaking from personal history (god i all of a sudden feel old) but whether it be tractors, mowers, chainsaws etc. that i've worked on most of the issues with winterization have been due to sta-bil. there are other stabilizers that work fabulously without problem. a little research from some local mechanics may help rectify your current situation...
Interesting I have Stabil in my bike right now....but with Chevron gas. Hopefully there won't be a problem in a few more weeks when the warmer weather rolls in.
Suey250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #25
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

It should largely depend on whether you drained your bowls or not too. If not, I'd get cracking on it! You don't want to put on all your gear for the first nice day and not have her start up! I would know...

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #26
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

Azia.. when the bike was running on choke how did it sound? Normal or sputtering?

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #27
g21-30

The choke and pilot circuits with most motorcycle carburetors share passageways. When pilot jets become obstructed, the choke circuit compensates and allows the engine to start and idle with choke, but stalls without choke.

Old March 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #28
azia
ninjette.org member

alright everyone, i admited defeat. just had a bike mechanic on another board come by and pick up the bike. it should be back to me by next week. i'm pretty sure it's just flooded and he does, too but i have no more time to tinker. 12 hour work days in a cublicle are not fun and all i want to do when i get home is smash something, not FIX something. lol.

anyways, i'll update this thread once i get it back with the cause in case someone else has the exact same issue in the future.

again, thanks for all the help. i might not have fixed the bike up myself, but definitely learned alot.

Old March 17th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #29
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
alright everyone, i admited defeat. just had a bike mechanic on another board come by and pick up the bike. it should be back to me by next week. i'm pretty sure it's just flooded and he does, too but i have no more time to tinker. 12 hour work days in a cublicle are not fun and all i want to do when i get home is smash something, not FIX something. lol.

anyways, i'll update this thread once i get it back with the cause in case someone else has the exact same issue in the future.

again, thanks for all the help. i might not have fixed the bike up myself, but definitely learned alot.
Gotta give you credit for trying. Good luck with your mechanic.
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #30
azia
ninjette.org member

^ Thanks. Working on the bike myself was getting too frustrating. I enjoyed learning but getting home late meant I only had an hour or two before bed. Grrr...

I can't wait to get it back but sounds like it won't be until next week sometime.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM   #31
azia
ninjette.org member

good news! i'm getting the bike back tonight. just as we thought, it was flooded but also the gas was all funky and orange colored. bf had followed instructions to a T with the stabil so not sure what happened. maybe the gas he got at the end wasn't good...

either way, she's coming home!!!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #32
g21-30

That's great news. Just in time for warmer weather!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #33
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
good news! i'm getting the bike back tonight. just as we thought, it was flooded but also the gas was all funky and orange colored. bf had followed instructions to a T with the stabil so not sure what happened. maybe the gas he got at the end wasn't good...

either way, she's coming home!!!
lol unless you filled up at the same shell that I did, I'm thinking stabil really aint all that reliable.

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #34
azia
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
lol unless you filled up at the same shell that I did, I'm thinking stabil really aint all that reliable.
you with problems, to??? Dane and Steve (not sure if you rode with them b4?) got bad gas at an Esso downtown last week and Dane's gf got bad gas in her car at a different Esso. WHAT IS GOING ON?!

you going to do anything differently next year? i'm think of running her periodically instead of just letting her sit for 4 months straight.

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #35
kkim

fill the tank completely full and drain the float bowls of all gas before storing. don't start it during hibernation. keep your battery on a battery tender.

when taking it out, drain all gas from gas tank, put fresh gas in there, then start bike.

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #36
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

Was having trouble starting mine too...ran out and got some Seafoam (great stuff btw)...poured some in the gas tank...let it sit a little...started it up to let it run through the jets...poured some more in and let sit overnight, started right up the next morning, no choke
Rawr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #37
azia
ninjette.org member

thanks for the tips kkim, will keep that in mind for next fall.

rawr, thanksfully my bike's fixed now. unfortunately, i have a feeling this wasn't something Seafoam could fix...don't think that tank of gas could have been saved. lol!

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #38
kkim

did they tell you exactly what they did?

there have been posts that have said to stay away from Stabil.... someone mentioned some other product that they recommended.

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #39
azia
ninjette.org member

the mechanic checked everything through and realized that it was the gas. the bike wouldn't idle on MY tank of gas but when he switched it to an external supply, it worked. so he drained the gas out, put new gas in, and voila, it started running again.

this is our first year and we did research the winterizing process. i have to say, it's a little frustrating because it seems only after the problem ocurred and we posted on a few forums about it, we discovered people had problems with Stabil. actually some replies were kind of rude...a very "why the heck would you do that?!" kind of attittude. but before we winterized, everything we read and receive in response was to use Stabil.

oh well! i guess it's a YMMV kinda thing.

Old March 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #40
Timm3h
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

blah I wish I had seen this thread last fall.

I used stabil and sheel + esso gas. I had a hard time getting my bike started had to adjust the idle screw to get it started....

I also have some wierd RPM issues.... looks like I have to pull the carbs
Timm3h is offline   Reply With Quote