ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Check my oil!

Recently drained the oil from my 2010. It was quite full (still from previous owner), which I know is bad. Didn't read service biannual, and drained from the old plug first (the one by the filter, rather than under the screen).

I noticed, when inspecting, that there were shavings of metal. Nothing huge, as from the other post on here about copper shavings. I'd say the largest is similar in size to a finger nail clipping. Nothing notice in the filter, nor in the screen. Some metal shavings were on the screen, but only really small prices, and not much at all.

My question is what should I look out for? I have nO idea when the last oil change was, or filter change (filter bolt was stripped clean). And I just adjusted all valves. There were no such shavings or marred pieces in anything at the top that I could see. I know the clutch cable was way way out of spec in terms of adjustment, so maybe clutch?

I'm going to change the oil frequently, say every 500-1000 miles, to see if they begin to disappear. Just curious what I can look out for in the future to help figure the cause!
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Screen: http://i.imgur.com/pHbcozj.jpg

Drain pan: http://i.imgur.com/6tDFMP5.jpg

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This thread discusses similar issues - https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...il#post1154828

Check out Post #13 from cadd.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
........I noticed, when inspecting, that there were shavings of metal. Nothing huge, as from the other post on here about copper shavings.......
The presence of flakes of brass is never a good sign.
It could be a temporary damage to the main bearings, but only time and weird noises will tell the full story.

Nothing to do right now, just keep riding the poor beast.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
And shift cleanly, using the clutch properly. Shift dogs can lose metal if clashed.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

I reviewed that other thread, and it seems as if cadd is saying, in his bike, it just seems to be normal. He states after 25k, it runs great, but the shavings persist.
@Motofool is it guaranteed to be brass? Or would it only be brass if it were specific parts? The metal I found seemed to have a very silver appearance to it.

Old February 16th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
There is nothing normal about visible metal particles in engine oil!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
.........@Motofool is it guaranteed to be brass? Or would it only be brass if it were specific parts? The metal I found seemed to have a very silver appearance to it.
The flakes trapped by the screen seem to be brass color.
What you call silver are particles of steel.

Metals that rub against each other get destroyed in seconds at the speed at which the parts of the engine rotate.
There is a constant film of lubrication that keeps all the metal parts from touching each other.

In internal parts where lubrication may fail for few seconds, brass and steel are used, in the hope of extending the time without damage.
The reason is that two parts made of the same metal have a higher coefficient of friction than two dissimilar metals have.

Again, worry less and ride more.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote