ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

How does one unscrew tight spools / bobbins?

So I tried to install my Skidmarx rear wheel hugger this afternoon, but failed because I couldn't fully screw in the 10mm screw for the bracket on the right side of the bike. This screw goes in the same hole of the swingarm where a spool / bobbin gets screwed in, except on the inside (nearly touching the disk brake) and not on the outside. Well, I had my dealer install some spools a few days ago, and now I can't seem to fully screw in said screw because the spool already takes up quite a bit of space in that hole. The bracket for the hugger needs to be screwed against the swingarm, otherwise the whole hugger is very unstable.

So, what I've got to try is to unscrew the right spool, which is blocking the screw for the bracket, then screw in the screw for the hugger's bracket fully, and then screw in the spool as far as it goes (which won't be far). The only problem, however, is that the spool is completely round, and my dealer somehow screwed them in damn tight. I can't get it out! I've already tried it with brute force with some jagged pliers, but that only scratched some metal off the spool.

What is the appropriate tool for (un)screwing spools? Are there some rubber-coated pliers or something like that which might work? I'm very inexperienced as a handyman and need some advice - I know a lot of you are skilled at these sorts of things. It sucks that I'm stuck because I can't unscrew a little metal thing.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
kkim

grabbing the spool itself will not loosen it. The spool is essentially a spacer with a bolt through it. You need to get that bolt out. Picture of the rounded head on the spool?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

It's not an Allen bolt?
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
grabbing the spool itself will not loosen it. The spool is essentially a spacer with a bolt through it. You need to get that bolt out. Picture of the rounded head on the spool?
Ahhhh...

It's getting dark here, and I'm already in my pajamas. I'll have a closer look at the spools tomorrow morning!

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #5
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Okay, so it doesn't look like there's some bolt one can unscrew which goes through the spool.

Got some (blurry) pics...

Anyone know what to do? Is brute force with some better tool the solution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0024.jpg (77.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0025.jpg (96.6 KB, 4 views)

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #6
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodE-E View Post
Okay, so it doesn't look like there's some bolt one can unscrew which goes through the spool.

Got some (blurry) pics...

Anyone know what to do? Is brute force with some better tool the solution?
Looks like there is a black plug there...pry off that black plug and go to town.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Looks like there is a black plug there...pry off that black plug and go to town.
It felt very thick and solid the other day, not like something one can pry off. But I'll give it another try...

Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #8
kkim

Did you try prying on that black plastic piece with a screwdriver? Looks like a cap to me, too.

maybe ask the dealership how these are put together?

Old July 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #9
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

You guys were right! The black plastic thing was just a cap, and there's a bolt underneath (ain't got a large enough hex wrench which fits it, though). Wasn't hard to get off after all. Thanks.

Old July 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #10
kkim

check your tool kit that came with the bike. Maybe it has a hex wrench in it that might fit?