ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
mxnello
ninjette.org member

Name: Nello

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R 'Blue'

Overall thoughts on 08-09 250R

Great starter bike and with a little work from Kawasaki it could be a bike to keep for a long time, as is most look to sell for faster bikes. List your improvements the factory should have done to begin with keeping cost in mind as this is what is the best attribute of the 250R.

Weight to power ratio, use of aluminum could reduce weight by double digits.
Stock can, again lose 20 pounds with aftermarket.
Fuel injection, for most is the best.
Gearing, stock leaves a lot to be desired.
Less restrictive airbox.

Overall not much to complain about but maybe if Honda made a 250, competition is best Kawasaki would go the extra step!
mxnello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #2
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

You can have all that... Just add $5000 more to the current price. You want Ferrari over your ford focus? Add $150k to the current price..you can have anything you want man...just bend over
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Lukey
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Black

overall it is a great learners bike. as we've all commented on, and probably the main reason why we've purchased one is, the asthetics. compared to other new bikes out there they look the part, other than the aprilia rs125 - too bad it's 2 stroke! so for me they've done a decent job. my biggest gripe is the rider position - too upright - much like the gs500f. bit dorky - but after lowering the handle bars it soon fixd that. so they need to come out with are more agressive rider position...
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Justanothermp5
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

i think overall almost everything is fine for a beginners bike, the exhaust? meh its for beginners so u dont really need extra power or less weight
fuel injected would help ALOT, it would make the bike more user friendly and prob get better gas mileage
i think improving the gearing would be the better thing, cuz such high rpms at freeway speeds is a little un-nerving for beginners

Old September 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

If anything, consider it a budget club racing bike. Everything is designed to work fine in stock form but with a bit of modification can run even sweeter.

Quote:
You want Ferrari over your ford focus
More like a miata or caterham me thinks.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

There is an article somewhere on racing on a budget, and it included our 250. As far as changes the factory can do. Not sure, better throttle response, IDK. Seat height and rider position is fine for me, not too crazy about the aggressive position of the SS bikes. So far I am happy with the 250, although there is times I wish it had more power, but I don't want to give up the milage I get for it.

nb

Old September 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #7
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I think the bike is more or less perfect as is for new riders and people who want something economical and fun. Fuel injection, better throttle response and frame slider point as stock features would be better IMO.

I don't think anything more exotic would be possible on the 250R without the cost increasing too much.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #8
RED_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250r

love it, just want more torque.......don't know if that's possible with a 250 though
RED_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_09 View Post
love it, just want more torque.......don't know if that's possible with a 250 though
Matt, Keep your revs up. There are very few times that I let my revs get below 7500. I usually run about 8000 to 8500. Sixth gear is only used when I am going over 65. When you ride like that, the Ninjette definitely takes on a new personality.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #10
RED_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Matt, Keep your revs up. There are very few times that I let my revs get below 7500. I usually run about 8000 to 8500. Sixth gear is only used when I am going over 65. When you ride like that, the Ninjette definitely takes on a new personality.
Would my gas mileage suffer a lot or would it get about the same do you think? I typicall get anywhere between 54-62 mpg all city riding, no freeway at all. A ton of stop and go riding
RED_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #11
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Matt - it will drop to the 50 mpg range from my experience, but it's worth it

Old September 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kim, That`s about right. The bike, however, feels like a 500, has a response that is out of this world, and does NOT sound like a scooter. At 8K the stock muffler is quite melodious. Do the DIY on the throttle using a zip tie and you are ready to really surprise some of the big boys. With the proper riding skills, this bike will outhandle just about anything. On the twisties, the Ninjette will embarras 95% of the cruisers. I`m being conservative. I did get beat by a 1000cc Ducati Touring Bike. It was a fast bike, and he was a seasoned rider. He did not beat me by a lot. We had coffee together and he tried out the Ninjette. He was quite impressed and did not think that there is a faster 250 available in the US. We did not think the Aprilia 250 is available.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
mista350z
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 08 CBR600rr, 08 Ninja 250r - sold

I ride it like my old 98 civic....the ninja is a like a lil 4banger rice rocket. VTEC kicks in after 8000rpm
mista350z is offline   Reply With Quote