ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
jdkvice
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Shift Problems

2009 250, 3k miles. I sort of noticed from the time I bought the bike until now some shifting issues. I've read about the "false neutral" between 5th and 6th, I dont seem to get that. My problem always lies when I'm at a stop, and downshifting with the clutch in. Many times my shifter just feels like jellow and wont actually "click" down. I have to release the clutch just barely engaging it, pull the clutch back in then it clicks down fine. On rare occassions I have to do the process for every gear, say sitting at the light downshifting from 3rd to 1st. More recently, If I pull the clutch in, click up into neutral, and try to click to first its either jellow, or will engage far enough for the N light to go out, but Im actually in no gear when I try to move. Sometimes it will make it into 1st, but after about 6 feet it slips to neutral. So basically if I click to N, I have to release the clutch, pull it in, then it cleanly goes down to first. The bike is still under warranty, just didn't know if there were some adjustments I should look at myself, possibly something silly. On a side note, I've been doing the oil changes / lubes myself, does that void the warranty?
Thanks,
Justin
jdkvice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #2
c_anglada
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

when down shifting i always engage the clutch and let the bike roll for a bit before i down shift again. try doing that for every gear before you come to a complete stop and that should help. you should be in first gear when stopped
c_anglada is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Are you using synthetic or conventional oil? I found with regular dino juice shifting was sometimes a pain.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
kkim

check your clutch cable adjustment.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
jdkvice
ninjette.org member

Im using conventional oil, and I do try to engine break whenever possible. Every once in awhile your just stuck in a higher gear and must stop.
I will check out the clutch cable in the morning Kim. Although, shouldn't I be able to sit still, click to N, then back to first without releasing the clutch? What would cause it to "miss" first? As I said, if I release the clutch, bring it back in, I can click to first perfectly.

Old June 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #6
kkim

Motorcycle trannys are a bit different from cars. The bike should be moving when shifting gears. if what you are saying is that you can't shift gears while standing still, try rocking the bike forward or back when you are trying to shift when at a stop. I always try to be in the gear I want to be in when I come to a stop.

also, when is the last time you changed your oil?

Old June 5th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #7
jfauerba
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '09 Red Ninja 250r

I use to experience this problem a lot. The key to fix this is to shift all the way down to 1st before you come to a complete stop. You can keep the clutch in the whole time while shift down. Otherwise, once you stop, it will get hung up on some gear while trying to go down to 1st. If you come to a stop and you are not in 1st, when it hangs and will not shift down any more, release the clutch so it just starts to grab, (friction zone / rpms drops slightly / hear the gear engage) and then pull the clutch back in and start the going down the gears again until you are in 1st or it hangs again (repeat process).
jfauerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #8
jdkvice
ninjette.org member

Fresh oil, 300 miles. Thanks for the tips / advice guys. I guess I was just at a misunderstanding. I didn't realize on a bike you need to shift like that. My thinking was you could sit and click through all the gears. Ah, clutch cable was good. More engine breaking coming from now on. Thanks.
Justin

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #9
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I usually have to roll the bike forward a bit to shift into 1st from N.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

doing your own maintenance won't void warranty. you should keep your receipt for oil and filter (write mileage down on them as well). Sometimes when stopped the teeth of the gears just line up tooth to tooth, when moving they will click in tooth to gap much better.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #11
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I experienced the same thing after a long ride. Felt like there was a spring pushing back up from 1st gear. Tried a few things to get it to engage. Like slipping the clutch in 2nd. Not sure if it's just a matter of not meshing or the plates spinning to fast. Like was said, a wet clutch is a different animal than a dry clutch on a car, so the oil may be the culprit. Also, that first gear has got to be giagantic since it is almost useless. I remember having a similar issue with an old tractor that was geared about the same (1 mph in 1st gear was maxing it out).

Old June 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #12
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Hi!
Yea sometimes this kinda thing happens to me and Ninja Nate (yes my bike has a name now!)

From what i can tell, downshifting on a motorcycle, your Supposed to be moving as you downshift, pulling in clutch,etc!

My Dad had a 72 or 73 Honda 350, and told me he had the Gears do this sort of thing on him too!

I notice it mostly if your in NEED of a SUDDEN STOP! ie: the Car in front of you, just Jams on the brakes too a Full stop (im 4 secs behind but still) and you dont have time really too downshift Gear by Gear... just Pull Clutch in, use Front/Rear brakes evenly... and Stop.... then your Stuck in a Matrix zone, and cant get her into 1st or any gear!

Yes it seems too work for me best... if i were too walk the bike foward or back (while clutch pulled IN fully) and step down, untill back in 1st.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #13
kkim

Dave,

Have you taken the MSF course?

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #14
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

Quote:
then your Stuck in a Matrix zone
What is the matrix zone?
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #15
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Most bikes I've had are hard to shift while still.

Usually, just a little clutch friction between shifts will help get you from gear to gear.

You don't have to move the bike, just touch the friction zone.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #16
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Most bikes I've had are hard to shift while still.

Usually, just a little clutch friction between shifts will help get you from gear to gear.

You don't have to move the bike, just touch the friction zone.
yea, like if your in 6th gear and come to a complete stop and try to shift down, it doesnt quite work unless your moving a bit
killerkay3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkay3 View Post
yea, like if your in 6th gear and come to a complete stop and try to shift down, it doesnt quite work unless your moving a bit
Thats a bad spot to be in......

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #18
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Thats a bad spot to be in......

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm
yep happened to me once when i first started riding
killerkay3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #19
mxnello
ninjette.org member

Name: Nello

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R 'Blue'

Shifting woes

Synthetic oil helps a ton, but as I have said before the 250R gearbox is not the smoothest. Which is fine as long as it wears well, no woes!
mxnello is offline   Reply With Quote