ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 9th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #1
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

MSF Range Aide

I'm thinking of applying to be a Range Aide for some of the MSF courses.
I heard you get to pick which sessions you want to work, and I thought it'd be something fun to do over the summer since I'm not working and even on some weekends in the Fall if I feel like it.

Has anyone else done this?
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I haven't yet but I was asked if I'd like to be an instructor/aide after re-taking the MSF along with Sakura. I'm a teacher at heart so I was always taking time to help the other students figure out what was going on and why so they could improve their understanding and skills.

I might go for it after track season is over, at the moment I just have too much going on to consider it.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Time to call @csmith12 and @CycleCam303
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #4
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Contact whichever school you want to work for and get started on the application process.

You do choose when you want to work. It's quite flexible. And the extra change isn't bad either.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
disclaimer: I am not an accountant.

Also, it means that having a motorcycle is now a part of employment for you so maintaining your bike becomes a business expense. Bonus.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #6
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I started the application process to become a coach here in VA. Unfortunately the state only runs the coaches course a couple times a year. I couldn't attend the April course, so the next one isn't until the fall.

From what I can tell there is no separate "Range Aide" position, just coaches.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #7
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Ah okay, must be different depending on the area.
The Range Aides pretty much assist the Coaches/Instructors in non-instructional roles, although they must have passed a MSF course & have a motorcycle license.

I did start the application process, but I am starting to regret it due to how hot the weather has been & will be this summer! :P Do I really want to spend all that time outside in long sleeved clothes?
"All program personnel (Range Aides as well as Instructors) shall wear long pants, a shirt with sleeves (no tank tops), and sturdy over-the-ankle footwear at all times when teaching in the classroom or on the range."
Ah I'm still going to do it It'll be a cool 2nd job

Old June 14th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Yeah here in VA the Department of Motor Vehicles approved coaches all go through the Virginia Rider Training Program from what I can tell.

https://vrtp.org/

I was looking into it because I got one of my sons riding last fall. He bought the bike, took his learners permit written test, and signed up for his BRC, but it was a few weeks until he could get into a class. So I took him around the neighborhood and down to the local school parking lot and got him started. When he went to his BRC his coaches asked where he learned to ride, when he told them he dad had taught him there reply was, your dad should become a coach.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

motodancer, I haven't done it, but think it sounds like an awesome way to give back to the community (in terms of getting new riders involved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I started the application process to become a coach here in VA. Unfortunately the state only runs the coaches course a couple times a year. I couldn't attend the April course, so the next one isn't until the fall.

From what I can tell there is no separate "Range Aide" position, just coaches.
Some of them have Range Aide positions. But they might not be open to regular folks. Apex Cycle (NOVA area) says they use Range Aides, but it seems like it might be a connections basis hire.

The Range Aide is an untrained position to just set up cones, monitor things, etc.

I have contacted Apex twice over the past two years, but never gotten a response back. I thought it would be good to help get new riders interested in the sport. And I would think my experience would definitely qualify for being a cone person, but I've never heard back.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #10
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
I have contacted Apex twice over the past two years, but never gotten a response back. I thought it would be good to help get new riders interested in the sport. And I would think my experience would definitely qualify for being a cone person, but I've never heard back.
lol I'm definitely qualified to be a cone person as well
I'm hoping to maybe get in some riding time during their breaks and/or their classroom time.
I mainly just had a blast taking the class so I want to be more involved

Here, we just apply for the positions online through their website and you're pretty much accepted right away. The ridercoaches during my course said they are short on Range Aides in this area! The guy doing the Range Aide duties during my course was actually a Coach from another town because they couldn't get their own Aides. I applied on Friday and I got an email yesterday saying they were going to "proceed with hiring" me, but it's supposed to be in the 90s all summer

Old June 14th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #11
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodancer View Post
lol I'm definitely qualified to be a cone person as well
I'm hoping to maybe get in some riding time during their breaks and/or their classroom time.
I mainly just had a blast taking the class so I want to be more involved

Here, we just apply for the positions online through their website and you're pretty much accepted right away. The ridercoaches during my course said they are short on Range Aides in this area! The guy doing the Range Aide duties during my course was actually a Coach from another town because they couldn't get their own Aides. I applied on Friday and I got an email yesterday saying they were going to "proceed with hiring" me, but it's supposed to be in the 90s all summer
That's awesome! And 90s is the perfect weather for a big, dorky (or stylish, if that's your jam) hat and ice water.

Having coached in other things, I definitely think that you'll have a great time watching new people "get it" as they learn for the first time.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #12
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
That's awesome! And 90s is the perfect weather for a big, dorky (or stylish, if that's your jam) hat and ice water.

Having coached in other things, I definitely think that you'll have a great time watching new people "get it" as they learn for the first time.
I DO have a big dorky hat!!!!!!
You've got me all excited now (not just because of the hat). Can't wait.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:03 PM   #13
motodancer
ninjette.org member

It's happening! I start in July.
The offer letter said the position was "Extra Help Range Aide / Double Range Aide" which pays "$10 / $12 per hour respectively".
Anyone know the difference?? Just curious. I don't care too much about the money since I'm just doing it for fun and I don't NEED a second job, but still would like to know the difference. If no one knows, I'll just find out when I start, I suppose!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:07 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Cool! Congrats, you'll soon be helping people be better riders!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #15
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Congrats. Come back with positive stories about your students (I'm fairly sure you still get to possess them as an aide)!

Old June 25th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #16
Swann
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Listen to the RC1 and watch the RC2 closely.

The techniques are subtle and the mistakes can be difficult to spot, if you're not paying attention.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #17
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann View Post
Listen to the RC1 and watch the RC2 closely.

The techniques are subtle and the mistakes can be difficult to spot, if you're not paying attention.
Sorry, can you explain? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean the students' techniques & mistakes?

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #18
Swann
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 250R

You watch and learn from both RiderCoaches and the students.

RC1 does the talking and RC2 does the demos in an exercise. Once the students ride, watch the students and listen to an RC and try to see what he/she sees and understand how they're correct them.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #19
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

awesome sauce

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #20
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann View Post
You watch and learn from both RiderCoaches and the students.

RC1 does the talking and RC2 does the demos in an exercise. Once the students ride, watch the students and listen to an RC and try to see what he/she sees and understand how they're correct them.
Ah I see.
When I took the course myself, the coaches took turns talking and demo-ing, and they corrected individually during the exercise. They'd wave them over, give feedback, and let them go back in to the exercise. So I won't be able to hear what is said