ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 1st, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Need someone in St. Louis area to shimming

Ok. I've had my bike a few days and the only problem I seem to be having is taking off from a stop. It just does not want to go no matter how much I twist the throttle and then all of a sudden as it seems to be dying out, power kicks in. Based on the threads I read, I need to shimming.

Ok. So hubby's forte' is not mechanics at all. I told him there was a how to thread and I would give it a shot, and he said no that he wanted to take it to a shop. Long story short, the shop has no idea what we're talking about.

So, I live in St. Charles County and am looking for someone who could shimming my carbs as quickly as possible. As it turns out, I'm not comfortable riding alone without my hubby behind me to deter traffic because it is a bog. And darn it, I want to ride alone when he doesn't have time. So let me know if you know of someone or if you are willing to do it as well as the rate. Thanks!!!
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM   #2
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

There's no better motivation to learn about it than desperation. I think you should at least pull the body off the bike and start looking inside, pretty sure you can get everything except maybe the idle plugs removed without any real mechanical aptitude.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM   #3
kkim

Find an independent shop to do the work.

Also, be sure the bike is fully warmed up (10-15 minutes) before completely turning off the choke. You can ride the bike with the choke partially on for those first few minutes to help with the stalling/hesitation you're experiencing. Try revving the bike to about 4-5k before letting out the clutch slowly to have a smoother take off.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Tigress
Musical Genius

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Find an independent shop to do the work.

Also, be sure the bike is fully warmed up (10-15 minutes) before completely turning off the choke. You can ride the bike with the choke partially on for those first few minutes to help with the stalling/hesitation you're experiencing. Try revving the bike to about 4-5k before letting out the clutch slowly to have a smoother take off.
Will do. Thanks Super Kim!

Old September 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Belinda, if you can't find someone close by, send me a PM - we might be able to figure something out for you it really is quite simple, and I'd be willing to talk you through it

Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Tigress
Musical Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Belinda, if you can't find someone close by, send me a PM - we might be able to figure something out for you it really is quite simple, and I'd be willing to talk you through it
Thank you. I will let you know.