ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM   #41
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

+1 for the Dupont Teflon multi-use from Lowes.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #42
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Hey, what and wheres the Cheapest way to go... as far as Buying 'Bulk' Chain Cleaner?
Is Kerosene sold by Gallons at lowes,etc?
Ive asked around some stores with such and havent gotten any real useful Info! Please help lol

(i bought Maxxina Chain Wax in Bulk* online) so im just looking for a 'BULK' and Cheapo cleaner, Buying Cans and Cans of WD-40 n ****... isnt Cost effective to me! lol

-Thanks
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #43
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I always used wax on my mountain bike and triflo lube on my road bike (bicycles). I guess this is the same, or similar, game - with the addition of O-ring chains and fling.

I'm going to be switching to that maxima stuff..... HATE the fling!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM   #44
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Hey, what and wheres the Cheapest way to go... as far as Buying 'Bulk' Chain Cleaner?
Is Kerosene sold by Gallons at lowes,etc?
Ive asked around some stores with such and havent gotten any real useful Info! Please help lol

(i bought Maxxina Chain Wax in Bulk* online) so im just looking for a 'BULK' and Cheapo cleaner, Buying Cans and Cans of WD-40 n ****... isnt Cost effective to me! lol

-Thanks
Diesel fuel - Cheaper by the gallon.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM   #45
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja EX250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakmon View Post
Absolute best chain lube hands-down:

Dupont multi-purpose lube with teflon.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Been using this stuff for years now. Only place I can find it in SoCal is Lowe's.
What he said. Lowe's has it for about $10 a can. This **** is awesome!
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:39 PM   #46
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Update:

So I put the stuff on. I allowed a little for each ring. Wiped off the excess and let it sit for 20 minutes. Patted it with paper tower to get the rest and then took it out. Started off slowly and worked my way up to highway speed. Little to no fling so i'm happy.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #47
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

This is the best I have found.

rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #48
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
have you noticed any differnce between the 2? I presently use the chain wax.
I used to hate lubing my chains because of the mess. It was easier to just replace chains more often than to deal with the constant mess. Then I found Maxima Chain Wax. Almost no mess! I started lubing my chains after most every ride. Great stuff! Of course the Nay-sayers complain that it doesn't lube as well as the traditional stuff. So what!?! The tradtional stuff can't do anything if you don't use it.

Then I found the Dupont Teflon Dry Wax Lubricant and gave it a try. It is very similar to the Maxima stuff but with Teflon added. Like the Maxima there is almost zero fly-off. The only difference is that the Teflon does make the chain appear slightly darker. No big deal to me, maybe guys with show bikes might complain. My limited non-scientific testing does say that it lubricates much better than the Maxima. I run non-o-ring chains on most of my bikes. They require frequent adjustments, but since switching to the Dupont lube I find that I have to adjust the chains less than half as often. The chains are not stretching nearly as fast with the new lube.

Lowes and Ace/Truevalue hardware stores carry the Dupont Teflon Dry Wax lube. I recommend it.

AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #49
Ken
"Is that the Ninjer 1000?

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Quarter Liter Kawi

+1 for WD-40 to clean and Dupont Teflon multi-use to lube.

Old June 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #50
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I like Kerosene to clean chains with. I picked up a half gallon of camp stove Kerosene at Home Depo several years ago for a few dollars and am still using it. With a stout brush, a metal pan to catch the drippings and a bunch of paper towels to wipe the chain off with and the job only takes a few minutes.

Motorcycle shops sell fancy/expensive three sided crud brushes. I just use a long handle kitchen vegetable brush that I got for a dollar. It works just fine.

As a side note, I give a Kerosene bath to new chains before I install them. The lube they use on new chains is VERY messy.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #51
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Well i just got back from running around to find some of that: Dupont w/Teflon Multi-purpose Chain Wax... and went to Lowes, Home Depo, Murrays auto, Auto-Zone, Advanced Auto, Meijers. NONE HAD IT!

to those few ppl that claimed they bought it off the selves at their local LOWE's ... how? lol shouldnt ALL LOWES sell it? i asked the employees and nope, not sold here. We checked the selves, differnet employees, and none of the Stores had it! Im bummed, cuz i dont feel like ordering crap online and waiting 1-2 weeks, or pay Overpriced costs at local 'stealerships'

I did thought, find a store that SELLS WIX FILTERS! Only $5.49 EACH, and they come with BOTH O-rings!

WIX Filter 24941
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #52
headshrink

So do you all meticulously spray your choice lube or wax on every individual pin/O ring between the plates, or do you just spray the whole darn thing and wipe?

EDIT: Since I am using the gooey flingy stuff, I go about it meticulously. But I am switching!!!!! My Maxima chain wax should be arriving via UPS any minute now. I ordered it before reading about the DuPont stuff, but may give it a try next time.

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #53
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
I recently switched to this:

Attachment 2538

It has received great reviews and does seem to "lube" the chain fairly well while staying clean and not flying off.
I'm currently using this, the chain has remained very clean. It applies nicely too. Dupoint is now making a chain specific lube, although the multi-use is labeled for chains. The chain specific stuff is supposed to be very similar to the chain specific lube. http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
So do you all meticulously spray your choice lube or wax on every individual pin/O ring between the plates, or do you just spray the whole darn thing and wipe?
Use a piece of cardboard or something so that you dont spray past your chain and onto other stuff. Just spray away if you are using dupoint teflon lube... the excess just drips off while the stuff that stays becomes dry within seconds.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #54
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakmon View Post
Absolute best chain lube hands-down:

Dupont multi-purpose lube with teflon.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Been using this stuff for years now. Only place I can find it in SoCal is Lowe's.
+1

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #55
stingray
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r

another +1 for the Dupont Teflon lube at Lowes. It's the best stuff I've tried, and half the price of the messy flingy lube they sell at the stealership. My chain has never stayed so clean!
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #56
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

what do you guys use to clean the chain prior to lubing it?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #57
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Wd-40.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #58
g21-30

mineral spirits

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #59
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i used kerosene before, but its a pain to get and apply - wd40 might be the ticket
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #60
g21-30

I had a pump/spray unit laying around, so I decided to try it out. Put a gallon of mineral spirits in it. Pumped it up. Put some old card board under the bike, while mounted on the rear stand, along with a small catch pan beneath where I sprayed (middle of the lower part of chain). Just kept turning the rear wheel by hand and spraying the chain. Once it looks relatively clean, I wipe it with the blue disposable auto paper towels. Then I use compressed air to dry it more. Then spray it with chain wax, wipe the excess and let dry.

You should think about measuring/adjusting the chain slack at the same time, either before or after cleaning.

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #61
Finder
ninjette.org member

Name: Mr.

Motorcycle(s): F650GS Dakar, FJR1300, Ninja 250R

Dupont released a new chain specific version with more Teflon and Moly. Goes on thicker supposedly.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

I love the normal Teflon Multi-Use and I'll stick with it. Like everyone says, it goes on clean, and stays clean with no fling.
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM   #62
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

Is there anything wrong with wd40 ? Someone on another site said it shouldnt be used because it has petroleum in it. Idk, i just used it along with dupont teflon lube.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM   #63
Suey250
Da Peon

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
Is there anything wrong with wd40 ? Someone on another site said it shouldnt be used because it has petroleum in it. Idk, i just used it along with dupont teflon lube.
I don't think there is anything wrong with WD40 (to clean), just don't use it on its own, it will attract dirt and grim like none other.
Suey250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #64
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
I like Kerosene to clean chains with. I picked up a half gallon of camp stove Kerosene at Home Depo several years ago for a few dollars and am still using it. With a stout brush, a metal pan to catch the drippings and a bunch of paper towels to wipe the chain off with and the job only takes a few minutes.

Motorcycle shops sell fancy/expensive three sided crud brushes. I just use a long handle kitchen vegetable brush that I got for a dollar. It works just fine.

As a side note, I give a Kerosene bath to new chains before I install them. The lube they use on new chains is VERY messy.
What do you do with the kerosene when you're finished?
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #65
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
From what I understand, there are two problems with WD40. Spraying it directly onto the chain exposes the rubber to ozone which will cause drying and cracking. It should be sprayed onto a cloth and wiped on.

I have also read that WD40 replaces the oil in bearings and brings foreign matter into them.

Lots of people on here use it with no negative results.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #66
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

about the WD-40 from webbikeworld
review of the Kettenmax Chain Cleaner. It’s an interesting rig, but I’m of the same opinion that it’s just as simple and easier to spray on the WD-40 and wipe the thing off with towels/rags. Anyway, the WD-40 thing has been argued for as long as I’ve been participating in online enthusiast forums. If you have a moment, I recommend the following on the Yamaha FZ1 forum. (The article) contains a response from WD-40 as well as from a chain manufacturer (Tsubaki) in regards to the use of the stuff for cleaning chains."

Old September 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #67
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
about the WD-40 from webbikeworld
review of the Kettenmax Chain Cleaner. It’s an interesting rig, but I’m of the same opinion that it’s just as simple and easier to spray on the WD-40 and wipe the thing off with towels/rags. Anyway, the WD-40 thing has been argued for as long as I’ve been participating in online enthusiast forums. If you have a moment, I recommend the following on the Yamaha FZ1 forum. (The article) contains a response from WD-40 as well as from a chain manufacturer (Tsubaki) in regards to the use of the stuff for cleaning chains."
Link?

I have personally destroyed sealed barring cartridges with WD-40. I do, however, spray it on a rag and then wipe off the chain, but wouldn't spray it directly on the chain. If it is only on the rag, I don't think it has a chance to really reach the O rings.

Old September 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #68
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

sorry about that, I thought it had copied the link as well:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...t=WD-40+letter

Old September 6th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #69
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I used to cook up about a pound of bacon, then strain off the pieces and paint that on my chain. My neighbors complained about my bike stinking up the garage.

Now, I use Bel-Ray "Super Clean" Chain Lube.

Last futzed with by edwinmcq; September 6th, 2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Picture issues
edwinmcq is offline   Reply With Quote