ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Post Review: BiLT Air Pro Mesh Gloves

I had sliced a hole in one of my left glove finger from draggin in on a turn so it needed replacing. I dropped by Cycle Gear after work to take a look at what they had. I saw their BiLT Air Pro Mesh gloves on sale for $19.99 and gave them a try. I grabbed an XL as that's what I normally wear. They fit good but slightly loose. Probably the main selling factor for me getting this other than the price was the knuckle protector. It's very similar to what you see on Alpinestars gloves and feels good over the knuckles. The same knuckle protector is used in their Speed and Sprint series. Mesh is used on the backside of the thumb, wrist, and cuff with a minute amount around the finger tip areas. I find it kind of odd that they didn't use any leather on the backside of the thumb to match the fingers. Perhaps aesthetic reasons to match the mesh on the backside of the hand and cuffs.

The gloves are secured via elastic band around the wrist with an addition with a hook and loop system on the cuffs. I would much prefer the hook and loop strap under the wrist. The cuffs get in the way of my jacket's sleeves which in turn reduces circulation and cancels out the benefit of mesh. Would be better suited for squidly days I guess. The seams are sewn from the inside so you may find discomfort from irregularities as the QC is not that great with most of BiLT products.

There is some suede overlay on the palm of the gloves for additional protection and to prevent additional wear on the leather. Reflecting piping are sown on the gloves but most likely won't be seen when you're actually riding the bike do to their location on the gloves. The leather used is very thin compared to their sprint series. It bunches up a little at the top of the palm but not annoyingly.

Other than that, not bad for $20 spent.

Extra info:
Outer 55% leather 45% polyester
Inner 100% polyester
inspected by 20
Made in Pakistan

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; May 29th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Looks like a fairly good quality glove for only $20!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
Looks like a fairly good quality glove for only $20!
It's decent for the price and you really pay for what you get with BiLT.

On the ride to work this morning, I started to feel the bunching up of the glove under the palm from gripping the grips. You can actually see the leather fold up in the 3rd picture I posted. Me not noticing it after I picked up the gloves was probably me getting used to the gloves at the store so I didn't have a fresh feeling of how gloves were suppose to be.

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; May 29th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
It's decent for the price and you really pay for what you get with BiLT.

On the ride to work this morning, I started to feel the bunching up of the glove under the palm from gripping the grips. You can actually see the leather food up in the 3rd picture I posted. Me not noticing it after I picked up the gloves was probably me getting used to the gloves at the store so I didn't have a fresh feeling of how gloves were suppose to be.
I haven't heard too great of things about BiLT's gear that they sell. These looked somewhat decent though. Note to self: don't get these when/if I replace my gloves.

If you want a fairly cheap gauntlet-style glove you can go with the Sonic Gloves by Joe Rocket. They're what I got and seem fairly durable. They also have knuckle protectors.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-sonic-gloves
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
I was at cycle gear yesterday and passed on most of their gloves that way. I am possibly just a bit paranoid about hand/wrist injuries so maybe I demand a bit more than is actually needed. While there is a knuckle protector the fingers are just a bit of padding. This caused me to question if it would protect me as well as something with a more rigid bit of something in the fingers. Because they are not gauntlets wrist protection is also borderline for my preferences.
The leather is thin with these gloves and I don't mind being a guinea pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
I haven't heard too great of things about BiLT's gear that they sell. These looked somewhat decent though. Note to self: don't get these when/if I replace my gloves.

If you want a fairly cheap gauntlet-style glove you can go with the Sonic Gloves by Joe Rocket. They're what I got and seem fairly durable. They also have knuckle protectors.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-rocket-sonic-gloves
I plan on picking up something from MotorcycleGear.com or SportBikeTrackGear.com. I need some gauntlet gloves to replace the A* GP Pros I just sold for track purposes.

Old May 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
I was at cycle gear yesterday and passed on most of their gloves that way. I am possibly just a bit paranoid about hand/wrist injuries so maybe I demand a bit more than is actually needed. While there is a knuckle protector the fingers are just a bit of padding. This caused me to question if it would protect me as well as something with a more rigid bit of something in the fingers. Because they are not gauntlets wrist protection is also borderline for my preferences.

Do you ever get a half off deal?

Bilt is kind of hit or miss on some things. The quality control on the jackets and helmets seems to be much better than on the gloves and boots. Sedici's quality and quality control are much better, but then again the price is a bit higher.
Posted via Mobile Device
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
I actually had to get them to remove the theft tag which they always put on the left glove. Then while standing there trying the glove on I asked, in a serious tone "Actually I only need one glove, do you just have a lost and found I could look through?" and the girl at the register at first seemed to be seriously considering it as if it was a legitimate request. Upon seeing this I told her I was joking, she then seemed to realize what all was going on.
You are one funny man

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I would have joked back and been like "no, we only have lost and found and 1/2 off on boots."
Posted via Mobile Device
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I was suckered in by a deal on on BiLT mesh gloves, too. I figured I live in the tropics and could be a guinea pig for 20 bucks. Needless to say, I don't wear them. Just not comfy on the bike, and even with limited wear already showing signs of failure. Of more concern, hard for me to keep the velcro closed on the wrists - I'm thinking they might come off in a crash.

I'm a fan of the BiLT Trackstar boots as an inexpensive, warm weather commuter option, but the gloves are garbage.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I was suckered in by a deal on on BiLT mesh gloves, too. I figured I live in the tropics and could be a guinea pig for 20 bucks. Needless to say, I don't wear them. Just not comfy on the bike, and even with limited wear already showing signs of failure. Of more concern, hard for me to keep the velcro closed on the wrists - I'm thinking they might come off in a crash.

I'm a fan of the BiLT Trackstar boots as an inexpensive, warm weather commuter option, but the gloves are garbage.
Yeah, the velcro enclosure is a joke. I just slip on the gloves and call it good...
I too am still a fan of the their boots!

Old June 21st, 2012, 04:23 AM   #11
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I recently had a pretty nice pair of gloves fail completely on me when I concrete surfed at the track (Joe Rocket Speed Masters). My hands were not even scratched or bruised but it wore pretty much through the palm and ripped the tip seams on the fingers. Gloves can take a beating and trashing a $100+ pair of gloves sucks but I would hate to see my hands in a lesser pair.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote