ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 06 sv650sf

Cracked Console

So the plastic surrounding the gauges has about 5 cracks in it, on the right side around the turn signal indicator. They're definitely cracks, and the bike isn't that old. Never been down/dropped/neglected. Anyone else have this happen?

Old November 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Could this of happened if the bike experienced extreme temp differences within minutes.

Old November 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Never seen or heard of this problem before. Most of the plastic parts on the bike are ABS which is cheap and somewhat durable. Temp changes would be my guess, however if any brake fluid got on the console it will deteriorate the plastic (it will look like it was melted though). Strange.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Yes! At first I thought I was crazy, but my bike is 4 months old and I have a crack that starts above and below the speedo. I noticed it driving in the garage where it was dark. I have no idea how it happened.

Old November 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

I'm 95% (5% +/-)sure mine was stressed while it was delivered to my crib or before- I've noticed a "mark" on the black part(ABS) not the glass since the day it was at my house, wasn't cracked untill I droped it on the left side... thought nothing of the "mark" till my fall.

heres an image-
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I've just noticed that the US bikes have mph and km/h on their speedometers. I only have km/h on my '09.

Old November 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #7
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Just a heads up.... when I changed out my stock screen last month to the Puig sport screen the Puig instructions warned the following.... "parking the bike in sunlight may cause damage to the instrument gauge areas as the screen will act like a magnifying glass". Intensifies the suns rays and heats up the instrument cluster causing stress fractures in the plastic. They advise covering the screen or parking it in shade. I've use a tshirt over it even when I put the cover on or when parking in the sunlight...cuz you just never know. I aim for shade when at all possible to avoid this problem with either the stock or its aftermarket screen. This might be your issue. I'm sure the L.A. sun can be just as damaging as ours here in Texas.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #8
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Addy126,

That is a very interesting point.

Old November 30th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Just a heads up.... when I changed out my stock screen last month to the Puig sport screen the Puig instructions warned the following.... "parking the bike in sunlight may cause damage to the instrument gauge areas as the screen will act like a magnifying glass". Intensifies the suns rays and heats up the instrument cluster causing stress fractures in the plastic. They advise covering the screen or parking it in shade. I've use a tshirt over it even when I put the cover on or when parking in the sunlight...cuz you just never know. I aim for shade when at all possible to avoid this problem with either the stock or its aftermarket screen. This might be your issue. I'm sure the L.A. sun can be just as damaging as ours here in Texas.
A puig db melted the plastic above my tach on the cbr.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #10
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinmcq View Post
Addy126,

That is a very interesting point.
Uh huh Ed. I'm quite sure this is the issue. Heat plastic enuff, ride and hit a small road imperfection and "pop" here comes the stress fracture. I just never sit the bike in solid sunlight because of this possibility and I have no fractures as yet. If I do leave it in some sun I leave my gloves tucked up between the gauges and the windscreen. Protects the bike's plastics so no problem. I'd rather lose a pair of gloves than replace the plastics if some idiot decides to grab them. But I think my alarm would warn away first, no problem yet with missing gloves.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote