ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM   #1
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Supercorsa SC2 vs Diablo Rosso II for rear (Ninja 300)

Was wondering whether the higher grip but wider than stock rear of the SC2 (150) outweighs the benefits of the Rosso II which has stock size of 140 but less grip.
MirinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

On a 300 with the extra rim width, sure I don't see why you wouldn't step up to track rubber 150s
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:52 PM   #3
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

What type of riding are you looking to do ... Track or Street?
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM   #4
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
What type of riding are you looking to do ... Track or Street?
Track only.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:48 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Both are fine unless your name is Casey Stoner then go with the SC2
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #6
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Both are fine unless your name is Casey Stoner then go with the SC2
Thanks. I take it that rear traction is not as important as front for a smaller bike like the Ninjettes?

Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:01 PM   #7
supersport
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

what is the difference between sc1 sc2 sc3?
supersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:05 PM   #8
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport View Post
what is the difference between sc1 sc2 sc3?
Increasing levels of hardness of the compound. 0 being the softest, 3 being hardest.

Old June 4th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #9
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

Draik runs sc1 150 on his 250 and has tons of grip. He had been running a Rosso I I front for most of last season but started losing the front so he switched to SC1 front also... he carries a ton of lean angle and corner speed.

Old June 4th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #10
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirinNinja View Post
Thanks. I take it that rear traction is not as important as front for a smaller bike like the Ninjettes?
this is a somewhat accurate statement, although I would not say that rear traction is unimportant on the little bike, just that you don't have as much issue with spinning up a rear tire with 30 hp lol.

Old June 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #11
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Depends what your goals are....

I have ridden with both rears. The Supercorsa SC2 definitely grips better, but I was shocked to find out that tire lifespan was shorter with the Supercorsa than a Rosso II. The Supercorsa grip is phenomenal, but lifespan is shorter and rapidly declines whereas the Rosso II grips well (but not as good as the Supercorsa SC2) feels more consistent and grip levels do not decline as fast. I ran 2:02.8 on the supercorsa rear (CCW) and have run 2:03.x (CW) on the Rosso II. Both ran at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Then again, YMMV

So if you're just doing trackdays, stick with the Rosso II rear. If you're trying to get the lap record, go with the Supercorsa SC2
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #12
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

How many days did you get out of your SC2s versus your Rosso IIs? Thanks for the feedback.

Old June 10th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #13
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
How many days did you get out of your SC2s versus your Rosso IIs? Thanks for the feedback.
Diablo Supercorsa SC2 150 rear:

I got a race weekend, and one track day. The trackday I was lucky that the turns were predominantly rights because my left side of the tire was pretty much worn since we raced CCW before. By the end of the day of the trackday I still had some meat left on the right side, but because the next trackday was going to be predominantly lefts, I changed it out. I got about 125 laps total out of the tire. All laps done at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Rosso II 140 rear:

I got a race weekend and two trackdays out of it. I got a total of 153 laps on the tire before worn out. All laps done at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear

Old June 11th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #14
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Diablo Supercorsa SC2 150 rear:

I got a race weekend, and one track day. The trackday I was lucky that the turns were predominantly rights because my left side of the tire was pretty much worn since we raced CCW before. By the end of the day of the trackday I still had some meat left on the right side, but because the next trackday was going to be predominantly lefts, I changed it out. I got about 125 laps total out of the tire. All laps done at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Rosso II 140 rear:

I got a race weekend and two trackdays out of it. I got a total of 153 laps on the tire before worn out. All laps done at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
Holy crap you must have a blistering pace to wear out rubber that quickly on a ninjette

Kinda off-topic but would it be silly to only swap out the front for an SC1 and keep the rear on my BStone S20s as they're still nowhere near worn out? (I'm cheap and short on cash...)

I'm mostly concerned about front grip as I've become a little paranoid since I binned my bike by losing the front mid-corner.

Old June 12th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Holy crap you must have a blistering pace to wear out rubber that quickly on a ninjette

Kinda off-topic but would it be silly to only swap out the front for an SC1 and keep the rear on my BStone S20s as they're still nowhere near worn out? (I'm cheap and short on cash...)

I'm mostly concerned about front grip as I've become a little paranoid since I binned my bike by losing the front mid-corner.
For street riding I do exactly this, I run a SC on the front and just keep mounting random **** on the rear till cords start showing then change it. I change each tire when it needs changing and rarely do them as a set.

Now if we're talking for track use then change then both because your rear has a flatter profile(more so if its got street miles on it) and will fight a bit against the advantage you gain from initial tip in with the front SC.

Old June 12th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #16
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
For street riding I do exactly this, I run a SC on the front and just keep mounting random **** on the rear till cords start showing then change it. I change each tire when it needs changing and rarely do them as a set.

Now if we're talking for track use then change then both because your rear has a flatter profile(more so if its got street miles on it) and will fight a bit against the advantage you gain from initial tip in with the front SC.
My rear is fairly rounded as it's a dedicated trackie. Apart from the decreased flickability, are there any disadvantages with regards to grip when using a mixed front/rear?

Old June 12th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #17
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
My rear is fairly rounded as it's a dedicated trackie. Apart from the decreased flickability, are there any disadvantages with regards to grip when using a mixed front/rear?
On this low performance bike I'd say no unless your at top racer pace then its a kinda. I can do some amazing stuff with a race front and stock IRC rear when the IRC is still round. If you break traction on the rear you probably did something wrong because I still haven't done it with any of my tires in any conditions on this bike.

Old June 12th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #18
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Well...I have been consistently top 5 and have had a few podiums....and only a couple seconds from the lap record both directions.

Quote:
On this low performance bike I'd say no unless your at top racer pace then its a kinda. I can do some amazing stuff with a race front and stock IRC rear when the IRC is still round. If you break traction on the rear you probably did something wrong because I still haven't done it with any of my tires in any conditions on this bike.
Ive broken rear traction...but it was mostly due to the tire being worn out. I have footage of it...both onboard on my bike facing rearward and from another camera facing back. It breaks traction but is regained.

Video can be seen here. Footage of breaking traction at 1:51 and 3:57 : https://vimeo.com/91694412

Old June 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you don't know if you need a supercorsa, you probably don't. if you're cheap like me, probably smarter to just go with a rosso 2.

also, damn matt. 2:02? nice

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #20
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if you don't know if you need a supercorsa, you probably don't. if you're cheap like me, probably smarter to just go with a rosso 2.

also, damn matt. 2:02? nice
Thanks Alex...I was having an epic battle with Ari when I did 2:02.8. I needed him to really push me.

I think Ari's even done a 2:01 with Rosso II's on Andy's AP MotoArts Ninja 250.

If you're on a budget, go with the Rosso II. Hell, I'll probably race this year using Rosso IIs. The price jump from the Rosso II to the Diablo Supercorsa is significant.

Plus, I haven't crashed due to breaking traction on the rear. All my crashes on the 250 were due to losing the front. Suffice to say, when I crashed, none of them were on Pirellis. Im not trying to start a tire war and say one tire is better than the other, but from a pure observation standpoint, my crashes were on other brands

Old June 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i love pirellis. only time i've crashed on pirellis was losing the rear from turning in too hard on the brakes.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #22
Swann
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 250R

I've been doing some track riding with 140 Rosso IIs. The strips are pretty much gone, I'm tempted to try SC1s with the 150 width, but I always see equal 10mm's worth of strips other bikes using 150s.

Doing the math, that means 150mm minus 20mm equals 130mm. The rounded profile means that the contact patch is smaller too.

Is the gain received by the better compound overshadowed by the smaller contact patch?
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2014, 12:08 AM   #23
Gumby4Mayor
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Preston

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 track bike, Husqvarna sm610 street bike.

Has anyone tried using a 110 SC1 up front and 120 SC2 out back? Currently running a 110/120 setup of another brand and the bike feels much lighter on it's feet than with the 150 rear. Haven't tried the Pirelli's in any sizes though.
Gumby4Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #24
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby4Mayor View Post
Has anyone tried using a 110 SC1 up front and 120 SC2 out back? Currently running a 110/120 setup of another brand and the bike feels much lighter on it's feet than with the 150 rear. Haven't tried the Pirelli's in any sizes though.
I haven't but have heard that using Pirelli front tire for the back it flexes too much and is unstable. Probably due to the carcass construction and plys being less on a front than a rear. I may give it a try but this came from someone I highly trust with setup.

I know Elaine (who races a Ninja 300) tried to use a Bridgestone 120 profile front tire and a Bridgestone 120 front take off in the rear and was sliding it like crazy. However she mentioned the rear tire was a soft compound.

What I can tell you though...DO NOT USE a 150 rear Rosso II with a W speed rating. The compound is way too hard for our light bikes and you will have absolutetely little to no grip. I nearly high sided twice with that on. One of them I went full lock on both handle bars, bucked out of the seat and nearly doing a handstand on my bike. I was very lucky to save it. Another time I shimmied so much because it was coming out a fast turn. So only after about 10 laps on it, I changed it out to a 140

Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:51 PM   #25
mwirrick
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, Concours, 2009 FZ1, 2007 BMW G650X Challenge, 1997 Ducati 900SS, SP

Gumby4Mayor,

I tried a 120 SC2 on the rear of my 250 and found that the grip was good and stability was fine......for the first 7 or 8 laps, after which it got too hot, as far as I could tell, and started to lose traction. It also wore out really fast, no doub due to the excessive heat. I had hoped it would work, providing grip with less rollinng resistance and weight, but no such luck as far as I could tell. Perhaps more testing with a more skilled rider might yield different results, but the above has been my experience.

Old September 24th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #26
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

^^ the make a 140 SC now FYI