ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

microphone suggestions

okay, so I'm looking to slowly start putting better equipment together because I feel like i need better music equipment lol.
currently i'm playing a costco-bought yamaha acoustic (fd02) with d'addario phosphor bronze strings on an Audix i5 microphone through an M-audio two channel usb preamp.

I'm sorta saving up for a taylor guitar, but in the meantime, am looking for a condenser mic, and I'm not exactly sure where to start. I'm kinda bewildered when I visit the local guitar center because I have no real understanding of what the different mics are specifically good for, and what I should be looking at to compare models to each other.

basically, if there are any musicians that happen to read this post, would you care to share your experience?

sincerely,
noob with a guitar.
heylookitsfranco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I have a mic at home for sale. Have a blue tube preamp for it too (tubed amplifier).

If you are interested I'll cut you a deal on one or both. I'll get you the exact model of each if you are interested. I have an 8 channel mixer as well (one stereo channel, 6-mono). I only would want $20 for that. All my gear was hardly used and is in almost like new condition. I have a few extras as well. I'll post up all I have if you want. I'm still trying to part out my old recording studio. Just cost me too much and took up space. So I got out of it.

My little bro gave it a try and he didn't realize how hard it was to put a song together, got frustrated and gave it back. Hahaha

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

No experience with mics and acoustics but I would check out musiciansfriend.com or sweetwater.com for reviews.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 01:58 AM   #4
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

@mark yeah man throw me the model name(s) and @sean I guess I'll start doing some crosschecking lol.

I'm always a fan of good, cheap stuff lol

Old January 31st, 2011, 05:40 AM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'll set a reminder on my phone to check out my gear tonight for you.

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Here you go, this is what I have:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Old February 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #7
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

definitely forgot about this thread

sorry dude, how much were were you looking for for each, if you don't mind me asking?

Old February 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Behringer Mixer: $25
Blue Tube amp: $25
Mic: $50
Entire rack, which includes a power conditioner, Behringer Compressor/Limiter and t.c electronics dual effects processor: $50

I'd throw in cables for free.

I'll give a price break of $135 to take it all plus shipping. As you can see with the prices I'm listing them at, I just want it gone.

Old February 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #9
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
okay, so I'm looking to slowly start putting better equipment together because I feel like i need better music equipment lol.
currently i'm playing a costco-bought yamaha acoustic (fd02) with d'addario phosphor bronze strings on an Audix i5 microphone through an M-audio two channel usb preamp.

I'm sorta saving up for a taylor guitar, but in the meantime, am looking for a condenser mic, and I'm not exactly sure where to start. I'm kinda bewildered when I visit the local guitar center because I have no real understanding of what the different mics are specifically good for, and what I should be looking at to compare models to each other.

basically, if there are any musicians that happen to read this post, would you care to share your experience?

sincerely,
noob with a guitar.
Depends on what you are trying to record. Are you looking to record your voice or the guitar or both?

I do this all the time - write a song and want to lay down some tracks quickly so I don't forget.

To do some basic recording you'll need a computer/audio interface and a decent microphone.

I have this interface which is nice because it links to the computer via USB and uses the USB as a power source. It also has two channels so you can record two tracks simultaneously (e.g. instrument and vox). The inputs include XLR for mics and 1/4" for instrument cables. It also has phantom power for condenser mics. I use a Shure SM58. Couple hundred bucks are you're rolling.

Use Audacity (free) to capture audio, edit, add effects, and mixdown.

Also check out Hammerhead rhythm station which is a freeware drum looping tool. You can set tempos, and stream as a .wav file which can be imported into Audacity as your rhythm track.

Good luck!

Last futzed with by onetruevibe; February 10th, 2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more info
onetruevibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I know some people who just take the output for the guitar and pipe it straight to the computer or a digital recorder like my Tascam 788. Honestly though, I must prefer the sound of the guitar through the amp, then stack or half-stack, then through a good mic. Sounds so much better and you can change the sound so easily by staging the mic in a different spot, putting something to reflect the sound (can make it sound bigger), etc. Tons of tricks you can do. I just don't have the time or the money to deal with it anymore.

I used a DMan audio card with MIDI connections and ran that through Cakewalk Pro Audio Suite. It did a great job. I was really getting into it at one time, then I got a girlfriend and I didn't have time for it anymore. By the time we broke up, I lost my motivation. hahaha

Now I'm married and just want it gone.

If you don't buy any of it Franco, it is going to the pawn shop.

Old February 12th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #11
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

@mark what an ultimatum! lol. how could i go wrong with the mic? I'm, as of now, just doing stuff for the crap of it, at relatively low quality lol. I don't wanna invest in preamps and stuff without getting the guitar I want, first. anyways, I'm nearly broke as I'm trying to fix my bike and pay off school debts (which blows considering I'm not even sure what I want to do with my life yet)
but yeah, bottom line, I'm down for the mic, unless I hear/read some exceptionally strong arguments as to why I need the other stuff
It's not that I don't want the other stuff, i'm just kinda taking equipment pieces one step at a time and learning what I can get out of each one so that I don't end up with a bunch of equipment that's as good as scrap metal because I have no idea how to use em all together

@brian for now it's either me and an acoustic, or me layering (acoustic or really basic) guitar, vox, piano, and various other things lying around. I really have to go get some guitar lessons too, because I feel like a gorilla holding that thing when someone asks me to 'just play'
I used audacity a long time ago when i first gave covering music a try. I haven't played with it since--do they still publish a version for mac? I found garage band to be fairly similar, if not simpler in execution, though I'm positive i'm probably missing out on some useful functions--but again, I'm newbie extraordinaire, so I wouldn't even KNOW what i'm missing. typical mac user up in here!

Old February 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well that mic requires the preamp to operate. Beauty thing is that it is so sensitive if you turn it up, I've actually heard conversations outside. Haha. If I was recording from an amp, I turn it down to keep from overdriving the system.

I can knock the price by $5 if you get both the mic and preamp, including cables (and maybe a spare or two).

I'll just toss the rest at the pawn shop.

So cost of the pieces plus shipping. They can fit into those USPS flat rate boxes, may save on some shipping. But I may use a larger box and pack it real good to make sure it makes it there functional.

Last futzed with by Apex; February 13th, 2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: me forgots some stuff...

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #13
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

what does the power conditioner do?

Old February 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Reduces noise in the AC line. It pretty much makes the signal smoother, thus reducing the likely hood of a "dirty" AC signal messing with your electronic components.