ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #1
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

full length boot comfort

Looking to get a pair of boots in the very near future and just wanted to hear about the comfort of full length boots off the bike. Do you always bring an extra pair of shoes if you plan on getting off the bike? Do you tend to wear something other than full length on short rides? Any info or suggestions on a boot would be greatly appreciated!
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #2
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I wear A* Harlems everyday, and have for the past 1.5 years, mostly because they're super comfortable off the bike at my desk and walking around (previously had a warehouse job).

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #3
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

When I am commuting I have a pair of shoes in my office, otherwise I carry a pair in my tank bag.
Unless you are outside in the cold boots are far too hot when not on the bike.

Steve

Old October 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #4
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I wear Sidi Vertigo Airs whenever I go on a ride. I think they're comfortable. These are the only boots I've had so I don't have anything to compare them with. I've hung out at a friend's house for about 2 hours and walked around Home Depot for about 45 minutes in the boots and felt fine.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I just wear heavy leather work boots when I ride, specifically because I am often not on the bike. The bike is all I've got, so I ride to school and walk between classes, go shopping at Walmart, etc in my riding gear. On a semi-related note, I am also always wearing my knee pads, so often times I'll forget to take them off for hours after I get home, heh.

I wore full-length race boots for motocross for years and yeah, they are not super fun to walk around in. But, by "walking around" it was really not much more than walking over to pee in the woods or something, heh.

As was pointed out, there are of course in-betweens. But, for me, when I could pay $40 or $50 for a good pair of leather work boots (that also are steel-toed and more importantly waterproof), spending $100-$200 for similar but motorcycle-specific footwear that still amounted to "heavy leather high-topped boots," I couldn't justify the extra money.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
When I am commuting I have a pair of shoes in my office, otherwise I carry a pair in my tank bag.
Unless you are outside in the cold boots are far too hot when not on the bike.

Steve
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I use these:

The Alpinestars Ridge boots for all of my commuting. I hiked in these for 3 days when I camped out at Laguna Seca (And I mean HIKED. The climb up to fox hill and the climb to the top of the corkscrew are no joke) and found them to be easily just as comfortable as my tennis shoes. LOVE these for whenever I'm planning to get off my bike.

I've also crash tested them once in a lowspeed tumble where I went over the handlebars and rolled down the sidewalk, and once in a moderate speed lowside where my bike rode my leg for a couple feet. Came out barely bruised and my boots are barely scuffed. I don't know how they'd hold up in something high speed and violent, and I don't think I'd wear them on the track, but they've saved me a couple of times already and more than suffice for walking and riding down the street

That said, I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs that I do use for the track, but while they feel great on the bike and are manageable to move in after they've been broken in, those boots were definitely not made for walking
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #8
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): 93 kawi gpz500

im using axo slammer constructor boots and i love them. im actually about to buy another pair just to have another everyday wearable shoe
bamaland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Oh and I meant to add I also leave a change of shoes at work, since I have to wear dress attire. I get to work change to the dress shoes when changing all my other clothes.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #10
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I wear these:

http://calmoto.com/SHOP/bmwallroundboots.html

They are very comfy, I can wear them all day. I wear them inside my jeans and to most people they look like regular shoes.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #11
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I wear SetUp Vision boots. Comfortable enough to walk around in. Crash tested on the street but I would buy better boots for the track. Haven't worn them for extended walking but I suspect they would be ok, if not a bit hot. For work I carry regular shoes in my tank bag.

Old October 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I wear joe rocket super street boots and they are decent to walk in after you have worn the heel in a bit (I have worn them for about 12 hours a day repeatedly so I've walked in them quite a bit). I also lowsided in them and I didn't feel a thing touch my feet so they are pretty good in the protection department (They only got scrapes on the sliders).

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Last Saturday I had my smx5 boots on for about 13 hours or so. I ha my msf last day from 7 am to 1 pm, I then went to eat and run errands, got home about 4 pm an had the boots off about an hour then headed to staples center for the kings game had them on the entire time getting home around 11 pm. My feet were fine and did not hurt at all at the end of the night. They have had a couple of months of break in but are just as comfortable as my st work boots are if not more so as they are lighter then them.

I was in the same camp as st work boots are just as good. Truth is they are not, good MC boots offer more protection, easier shifting and breaking and are not comfortable to ride in. They are worth it and rank up there with gloves and jacket as minimum gear everyone should use.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I wear these for all of my riding. They're Alpine Stars Stella boots. I'd love a more casual low-cut pair, but women's practical boots are harder to come by. They seem to be more fashionable than protective and/or comfortable in many cases. However, these boots are very comfortable for long days of riding with some hiking stops along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boots.jpg (14.7 KB, 141 views)

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #15
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
I use these:

The Alpinestars Ridge boots for all of my commuting. I hiked in these for 3 days when I camped out at Laguna Seca (And I mean HIKED. The climb up to fox hill and the climb to the top of the corkscrew are no joke) and found them to be easily just as comfortable as my tennis shoes. LOVE these for whenever I'm planning to get off my bike.

These look NICE! Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but are they in man or woman's sizes?

Old November 6th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
These look NICE! Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but are they in man or woman's sizes?
I believe the sizing is in men's, but I've always worn men's shoes (better variety, better styling, more comfortable), so that wasn't a big deal for me. Shoe sizing seems to vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer that I don't know that that necessarily means anything though (ie: I wear an 8 in men's in Alpinestars, Reeboks, and Gaerne, but I wear a 7 in men's Sidis, an 8 in my 5 inch heels I got from this shoe store called Cathy Jean, and a 9 in some strappy dress shoes I got at Sears. This is why I've always questioned "mens" and "womens" shoe sizes and precisely why I have to try on EVERYTHING before I buy it. Sizing can be confusing as hell )

The design is gender neutral and I think they go as small as a 6 though, so any average sized adult should be able to wear them, I'd think
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #17
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Thanks! I love how those look, I just wasn't sure which size to get since they were men's. Ally

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM   #18
Den
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R(sold); '10 ER-6F

This is something I'm thinking of getting when better weather returns:
http://www.alpinestars.com/Shibuya_W.../p/254009.html
They have ankle protection, and you shouldn't look ridiculous walking around down-town.

What d'ya think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 254009_gray_l.jpg (14.5 KB, 1 views)
Den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #19
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Fugly and price is ridiculous. Just my opinion.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #20
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I just got a pair of Oxtar, and love them. The best boot I've every owned of any kind. The side zipper and velcro, make them super fast to put on or off. I think they look good under jeans, and can be worn all day. Very high quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oxtar.jpg (15.2 KB, 2 views)
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote