ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Name: Diego

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Post My first bike '12 Ninja 250R questions!

Hello everyone,
soon to be Ninja owner looking for some advice from the guys that already own one!

Let me start by saying I joined this forum because it seems to be the most popular when it comes to this specific model at least that's what I read haha

Okay so; I've been looking for a bike for about a month now, new deals show up everyday on craiglist. I'm looking to spend ideally 2,000$ in a bike but most sellers won't go under 3k. I watched a couple how tos on this specific model about "what to look for when buying a ninja" so deff I don't want any dropped ones or scratched up. I also preferably buy a black or red one.

My top choices are;
1) 2010 Red 250R - 500 miles (3000$) already went to see it. Mint condition.
2) 2012 Red 250R - 2800 miles (2500$) going to see and probably buy on Saturday.

Both original owners, title in hand.

2010 girl owner said she's selling bc she needs the money, hasn't done any maintenance to the bike either. At 500 miles it shouldn't need much. One thing w the bike when idling I revved it and it shut off. She said it takes a while to warm up and after 4-5 mins it didn't shut off sounded good.

The 2012 one said she bought it last year only did oil change at 500-600miles and hasn't done any maintenance to the bike ever since. It is running no issues she said it's like new. Reason selling bc of kids / family it's a girl owner.

Here are my questions.

I absolutely love the 08-11 body, but the 2012 is newer and cheaper, I was wondering if there's any way to remove the "graphics" or decals, it has like a black one in the middle of the body and then those white arrows or stripes that I don't really like. Are these removable? Or painted under clear coat?

Second thing, both these bikes are 45min-1hr away from my house and I wouldn't feel comfortable riding them back. What's a cheap tow/shipping service I could use once I buy it?

Third, list a few things I should be looking for, common issues and to the best of your knowledge which bike should I take. But I think a 2010 bike with only 500 miles is prob a worse buy than a 2012 with 2800. Don't know much about bikes so any help will be appreciated!

Sorry for the long story wanted to share as many details as possible. Looking forward to this community and new friends
Diegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #2
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

On the 2010, was the choke used at all when it was running cold? Has it been sitting for a long time?

2012 - Yes there are some tricks that'll work to get the graphics off. I don't know the details though.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post

On the 2010, was the choke used at all when it was running cold? Has it been sitting for a long time?

2012 - Yes there are some tricks that'll work to get the graphics off. I don't know the details though.
Choke? Sorry not sure what that is. And yes it's been stored all winter here in NY/CT can only ride like 3-4 months rest is storage due to weather.

If the 2012 graphics come off then I'd most likely get that one. The seller inspires me more confidence. Just the seat fairing would probably need a red one to make it look like the 2008-2011.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:35 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
So how does choke work?

The only decal that I know of that is under the clear coat is the two "Kawasaki"s on the tank, the rest are vinyl decals on top of the plastic.

Removing Ninja decals
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Links to the ads? I've noticed a lot of 250 sellers on CL claim to be girls when they sell. Yet, the title happened to be in their -boyfriend/fiance/husband's name.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
So how does choke work?

The only decal that I know of that is under the clear coat is the two "Kawasaki"s on the tank, the rest are vinyl decals on top of the plastic.

Removing Ninja decals
Great! Is that your bike in your albums? It's a 2012? That's exactly how I wanna do mine. I'm glad this was resolved now I'm more inclinated towards the 2012.

Also I think I'm gonna go to U HAUL and rent a motorcycle trailer my cars rated for no more than 1000lbs trailer is 500 and bike is 370 so I should be okay.

Thanks for all the info!

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #7
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegone View Post
Choke? Sorry not sure what that is. And yes it's been stored all winter here in NY/CT can only ride like 3-4 months rest is storage due to weather.

If the 2012 graphics come off then I'd most likely get that one. The seller inspires me more confidence. Just the seat fairing would probably need a red one to make it look like the 2008-2011.
Was it winterized every winter? Or if not winterized, was it at least stored inside?

If both are running smoothly, that is a good sign that they were taken care of and at least run every now and then instead of sitting for long periods of time.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #9
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Links to the ads? I've noticed a lot of 250 sellers on CL claim to be girls when they sell. Yet, the title happened to be in their -boyfriend/fiance/husband's name.
and yes, can you post up the links to the craigslist ads? that would give us a bit more to work with

Old April 24th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Great! Is that your bike in your albums? It's a 2012? That's exactly how I wanna do mine. I'm glad this was resolved now I'm more inclinated towards the 2012.

Also I think I'm gonna go to U HAUL and rent a motorcycle trailer my cars rated for no more than 1000lbs trailer is 500 and bike is 370 so I should be okay.

Thanks for all the info!
Yep, the green and black bike is mine. Did my own paint job as my replacement fairings were the SE red and black off an '09.

The small motorcycle trailer from u-haul out here costs $16ish per day and has a long ramp/tailgate that makes loading easy.

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #11
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I'd go with the 2012 as it's newer and cheaper. Miles don't really matter when your talking that low, also the newer bike having more miles on it probably actually runs better. The carbs in these tend to be a PIA if not maintained properly.

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #12
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Does it even matter? I mean it's a motorcycle, if your not redlining a 250 daily your doing it wrong. As long as the owner wasn't sitting at a light bouncing it off the rev limiter (more of a supersport thing), then you shouldn't have a problem girl or guy.

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetht View Post
and yes, can you post up the links to the craigslist ads? that would give us a bit more to work with
The 1 I went to see was actually in the girls name I even saw her ID and original title in hand. I know they claim to be girl driven and stuff but those ads are obvious u can see the shade of the guy taking the pic haha

As long as the decals come off the 2012 I'll be gettig that for the price it's a steal. The CL ads don't say much just a couple pics and basic info like year and model. Most of them say "never dropped, like new".

I've had honest sellers too tell me it was dropped and what not but that the bike is running perfectly. I want one in good condition I'm a cautious driver.

Thx for the info everyone!

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #14
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Yep, the green and black bike is mine. Did my own paint job as my replacement fairings were the SE red and black off an '09.

The small motorcycle trailer from u-haul out here costs $16ish per day and has a long ramp/tailgate that makes loading easy.
What about the hitch? Do they let you borrow one too?

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #15
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Err, dunno. I bought my hitch so I'd have it if needed regardless. Somehow I am thinking no as I remeber weighing the cost vs driving to my Dad's who also had one.

Call and ask.

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #16
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Welcome! Hey, you can't go wrong. Both bikes are red!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Diegone
ninjette.org member

Bought the bike!

2012 ninja 250 with 440 miles. (She didn't know the mileage and when she took a pic of odometer it was 440 compared to the 3k she said haha tried to bring me up to 3k but kept her word at 2500)
Red and black $2500.

It was bought March 2013 from a dealer brand new. Fully stock mint condition. One owner only.

Ended up borrowing a truck and uhaul motorcycle trailer only 15$ and got in Home Depot the ratchet tie straps.

Can't wait to ride it! Registering it Wednesday.

Old April 27th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #19
willis9076
ninjette.org member

Name: Henry

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R

Welcome,

That is an awesome find for that price!

Its also the same bike I have!
willis9076 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #20
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Congrats!!

How do you mess up the mileage that badly? 2800 down to 440? Weird... I can see a few hundred off, but a few thousand? LOL

Hope you got the manual, you're almost due up for its first service at 600 miles. It's still in the break in period so read up on treating her nice for a short while.

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #21
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Welcome!

Good choice on bike. We need pics!

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #22
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

howdy
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #23
auntymunga
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r Ninja

Quote:
Hello everyone,
soon to be Ninja owner looking for some advice from the guys that already own one!

Let me start by saying I joined this forum because it seems to be the most popular when it comes to this specific model at least that's what I read haha

Okay so; I've been looking for a bike for about a month now, new deals show up everyday on craiglist. I'm looking to spend ideally 2,000$ in a bike but most sellers won't go under 3k. I watched a couple how tos on this specific model about "what to look for when buying a ninja" so deff I don't want any dropped ones or scratched up. I also preferably buy a black or red one.

My top choices are;
1) 2010 Red 250R - 500 miles (3000$) already went to see it. Mint condition.
2) 2012 Red 250R - 2800 miles (2500$) going to see and probably buy on Saturday.

Both original owners, title in hand.

2010 girl owner said she's selling bc she needs the money, hasn't done any maintenance to the bike either. At 500 miles it shouldn't need much. One thing w the bike when idling I revved it and it shut off. She said it takes a while to warm up and after 4-5 mins it didn't shut off sounded good.

The 2012 one said she bought it last year only did oil change at 500-600miles and hasn't done any maintenance to the bike ever since. It is running no issues she said it's like new. Reason selling bc of kids / family it's a girl owner.

Here are my questions.

I absolutely love the 08-11 body, but the 2012 is newer and cheaper, I was wondering if there's any way to remove the "graphics" or decals, it has like a black one in the middle of the body and then those white arrows or stripes that I don't really like. Are these removable? Or painted under clear coat?

Second thing, both these bikes are 45min-1hr away from my house and I wouldn't feel comfortable riding them back. What's a cheap tow/shipping service I could use once I buy it?

Third, list a few things I should be looking for, common issues and to the best of your knowledge which bike should I take. But I think a 2010 bike with only 500 miles is prob a worse buy than a 2012 with 2800. Don't know much about bikes so any help will be appreciated!

Sorry for the long story wanted to share as many details as possible. Looking forward to this community and new friends
Either one is a good choice to be honest. If you want to remove the decals then have a look at a post I wrote when I was freshening up my bike here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175578 Obviously you don't have to read the whole thing but I had those monster green stickers which I hated and I removed mine before continuing so have a look

Anywhoo, welcome to the 250 family

auntymunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #24
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Congrats on the bike!

Now lets see some pictures!

Old April 30th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #25
WarriorGene
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Road Star Warrior, 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 2012 YZF-R1, 2010 Ninja 250R

Wow, that's a hell of a deal. Good find! Congratulations!
WarriorGene is offline   Reply With Quote