ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #1
daddysmut
noob

Name: lenny

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r, 01 R1, 99 CBR600, KTM625smc, KTM525smr, YSR50 Haga rep, Ninja 500r, CPI gtr150, fiddies

LED blinkers

i picked up some LEDs that i'm trying to use as blinkers. they are for a 12v system and i've hooked them up as rear blinkers but they aren't working. the diagrams says to install a 5amp fuse which i didn't do. am i needing to install a resistor of some sort to bring the 10amps down to 5 or something? i hacked up the rear end and it looks pimp.....just need to get the blinkers to work.
daddysmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysmut View Post
i picked up some LEDs that i'm trying to use as blinkers. they are for a 12v system and i've hooked them up as rear blinkers but they aren't working. the diagrams says to install a 5amp fuse which i didn't do. am i needing to install a resistor of some sort to bring the 10amps down to 5 or something? i hacked up the rear end and it looks pimp.....just need to get the blinkers to work.
what are they doing or not doing? usually with LEDs you need to add resistors to the circuit to duplicate the regulars bulbs resistance level. If the flasher relay doesn't see that resistance, it doesn't flash. Is that your problem... solid lights when you turn on the blinkers? If so, Vex should be able to help you out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
daddysmut
noob

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r, 01 R1, 99 CBR600, KTM625smc, KTM525smr, YSR50 Haga rep, Ninja 500r, CPI gtr150, fiddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
what are they doing or not doing? usually with LEDs you need to add resistors to the circuit to duplicate the regulars bulbs resistance level. If the flasher relay doesn't see that resistance, it doesn't flash. Is that your problem... solid lights when you turn on the blinkers? If so, Vex should be able to help you out.
they don't turn on and the front blinkers light up solid.

that's what i was thinking!! thanks for the response with that being said, they should work if i convert the front to LED as well tho....correct? the resistance will be the same.

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
they don't turn on and the front blinkers light up solid.

that's what i was thinking!! thanks for the response with that being said, they should work if i convert the front to LED as well tho....correct? the resistance will be the same.
no... the relay needs to see some resistance. if you change the fronts, the circuit has no resistance at all and will not flash. regular incandescent bulbs have a resistance to them... LEDs do not (or very little). You need to add resistance to the circuit so the relay thinks the regular bulbs are still there.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10094

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #5
daddysmut
noob

ahhhhhhhhhh....i see now.

thank you sir

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Check the polarity of the leds on the rear. You can add resistors or electronic flasher. But they should be liting up......
If you change the fronts to leds also, then you need the resistors. Or rewire that common indicator on dash(so they dont blink like four way flashers).
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #7
daddysmut
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Check the polarity of the leds on the rear. You can add resistors or electronic flasher. But they should be liting up......
If you change the fronts to leds also, then you need the resistors. Or rewire that common indicator on dash(so they dont blink like four way flashers).
uhmmm.....any idea on how to do that?

so the pre-designed LED blinkers already have resistors built into them? on my R1 i have LED front blinkers and regular bulb blinkers on the rear....i didn't have to add resistors.

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I had to add an electronic flasher to my R1 with front flushies, just to fix the blink rate.

On the 250r, the dash indicator bulb is wired to both L+ & R+. So you have to cut both wires on the indicator to free it up. Add a diode to each L+ & R+ < both of these then go to one side of indicator(cathode side to bulb < side with line), other side of indicator bulb to ground. A dude over on kawi forums got the info from some company, think he posted it up over there in the DIY section. I cant get to the kawi forums from the work computer for a link.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #9
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

As for the resistor part:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=11310&postcount=1

In the first part of that I went over the size of the resistor you need to add to each circuit to remedy the flasher problem. As for the LED's not lighting up? I'd have to say HkR1 is probably right. With LED's if you wire them backwards they're not going to light up for you
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #10
daddysmut
noob

thanks guys!!! i think i'm going to do the resistors as suggested

Old December 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #11
daddysmut
noob

i hooked up a load resistor to it and it still didn't work i only hooked up one to test it....does it need both hooked up?

Old December 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #12
VeX
That's me!

Quote:
i hooked up a load resistor to it and it still didn't work i only hooked up one to test it....does it need both hooked up?
No you can test a circuit with the resistor. The other circuit is independent. What do you mean it, "didn't work"? Is it still staying on solid? How did you wire the resistor btw? Did you do it in parallel (the red side of the resistor to the + and the black to the - wire)?

Old December 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #13
daddysmut
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
No you can test a circuit with the resistor. The other circuit is independent. What do you mean it, "didn't work"? Is it still staying on solid? How did you wire the resistor btw? Did you do it in parallel (the red side of the resistor to the + and the black to the - wire)?
they don't light up at all, atleast not with the circuit on the bike. the LED lights came with a little battery that allows you to press a button and test the lights. it will light up if you connect that little battery but not the circuit of the bike.

i connected the wires from the LED to the wires of the stock blinker harness. then connected 1 wire (+) from the resistor to the pos wire of the harness and the other wire (-) on the resistor to the neg wire of the harness. there was a distinct sound change in the blinker relay but no light.

these are what i have only in red

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=BUZ_1043042_G

what do you think about this thing?

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...tem=MRX_FRU1_G

Old December 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #14
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I had to add an electronic flasher to my R1 with front flushies, just to fix the blink rate.

On the 250r, the dash indicator bulb is wired to both L+ & R+. So you have to cut both wires on the indicator to free it up. Add a diode to each L+ & R+ < both of these then go to one side of indicator(cathode side to bulb < side with line), other side of indicator bulb to ground. A dude over on kawi forums got the info from some company, think he posted it up over there in the DIY section. I cant get to the kawi forums from the work computer for a link.

I heard about him too. He's a pretty cool dude.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #15
VeX
That's me!

Quote:
The relay will work as it replaces the stock flasher. As for the lights not lighting up at all, that's not right. Normally if you don't have enough resistance to 'excite' the relay the lights will just stay permanently on. As for them not lighting up at all taht denotes a wiring problem. I'd say it's time to hook up the multi-meter and seeing if you're getting 12 volts through.

Old December 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #16
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

yup...use a volt meter and test.

Make sure you check the polarity of the relay..make sure they match with the stock one.

Also, do one corner at the time...that means change out one signal light, test it...does it work? yes, then go to another signal. if no, then problem is right there..fix it...then move on...
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #17
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

Name: HzrnBgy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250R, 2004 Yellow Ninja 250R

Quote:
are LED flasher relays LED specific? i mean they have electronic flasher relays at Checkers but it doesnt specify if it will work with LEDs. they also have thermal flashers and i dont know what that means. are the stock ones thermal relays and LED relays would be electronic flashers?
hzrnbgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #18
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

disregard the previous post, finally got it going with a cheap electronic flasher from Checkers

heres what i installed ($19 from ebay + $9 electronic flasher relay)

heres how it looks like

here it is in action

Link to original page on YouTube.

Attached Files
File Type: wmv My Movie.wmv (9.23 MB, 5 views)

Last futzed with by hzrnbgy; May 27th, 2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: youtube embed video

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #19
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

What the heck is that light under your windshield?
Is it blinding to the rider at night?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #20
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

it a 1 watt LED i installed to give it a 3 front lights effect but the HIDs are so bright that it is barely noticeable.

the reflection from the windshield do strike my helmet giving an aqua tint to it. cool effect especially at night time. looks like i have a LED installed inside the helmet

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #21
kkim

is that light blue?

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #22
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

i ordered royal blue but i think they sent me aqua instead

yeah i know, blue is illegal but it is barely noticeable with the HIDs on and dark smoke windscreen

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #23
kkim

okay.. as long as you know it's illegal. just don't expect any sympathy from 5-0 if they ever stop you. that's a real touchy subject for them.

you do know why it's illegal, right?

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #24
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

blue is reserved for police cars i guess

prior to installation, ive check with state local laws and the fine is no more than $10 so i guess it not that bad if pulled over. and like i said, the HIDs are too bright that it is barely noticeable if viewed from more than 2 feet. not the kind of result i was actually hoping for.

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #25
kkim

that's just the law portion of it.

years ago, guys were using blue lights in their cars to pull over girls on deserted roads by impersonating a police car. From the rear view mirror, all you can see were the blue lights. They guys were assaulting the girls when they would stop, thinking it was a police officer.

This went on for quite some time before some guys were caught, (I think). In the meantime, the HPD was put under severe scrutiny because they were 1) unable to crack the case and 2) some were under suspicion of the crimes.

Needless to say, this is a sore spot with them and they don't take lightly to anyone having blue lights on their vehicles. They are not very tolerant of anyone breaking that law. While the fine may be a small amount, don't expect them to be gracious while they are serving you the ticket. If stopped, I suggest you be very cooperative and have everything legal on your bike. If not, don't be surprised if they hand you a citation for everything they can find wrong.

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #26
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

i guess that is the risk i have to live with. i do really doubt that the LED could overcome the brightness of the HIDs next to it. its like looking at the moon during daytime

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #27
kkim

okay... good luck.

Old May 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #28
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

the white license plate lights.... are those to light up the plate? because they don't seem to be illuminating the plate at all. maybe you need to adjust the aim a bit? idk.

the way they are, it seems it would be REALLY irritating to people following you. especially at night.

i like the flush mount rear turn signals though.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #29
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

i got the wrong license plate light when i ordered it. it doesnt illuminate the plate at all as the light is directed outward (as opposed to side firing ones)

if you can see how the plate is mounted, it is slightly slanted upward. as a result, the LED lights are directed at least 20 degrees from the horizontal. at 15 feet or so, your eyes got to be at around 10 feet above ground to see the blinding effect of the LEDs which of course is highly improbable unless you ride a super tall monster truck 15 feet behind me. other than that, it just looks like an ordinary LED bulb.

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #30
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

You need a wig-wag unit to go with that blue light
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #31
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

hzrn, even though the leds are aimed slighty up, i would still think a driver behind you at night might find those license plate lights annoying (edit: especially if one were to pull up behind you at a stop light... say a cop). i think you should change them out for the proper side-firing plate lights. the way it is right now, you may as well just disconnect them since they are not lighting the plate at all. of course, that is just my opinion.

just trying to be of help.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #32
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

I do like those turn signals
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #33
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

i was actually planning to relocate it but havent decided yet where. it will probably end up as an engine accent light someday. i will order the proper license light sooner than later.

next stop would be integrated front turn signal. i havent found a suitable LED array that can be mounted to the side mirrors.

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #34
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...d-Weights.html

Ran across these on the Kawi forum. Oberon bar-end turn signals and bar-end mirrors.

Interesting idea... get rid of the stock turn signals and solve the "mirror problem" in one fell swoop.

Anyone ever seen these? Useless bling or a good idea?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #35
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Next time your riding your bike see if you could see where those bar end mirrors would be without moving your head. I can't do it so I don't think these would work well for our bikes
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #36
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Don't have a bike at the moment (see my profile at the left), but it occurs to me that I can't see the mirrors in my car without moving my head anyway. Doesn't particularly strike me as a problem, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #37
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

oh sorry can't see that info on the blackberry. Well the thing with me on my bike is I wanna have my head forward as much as possible and really only turn it to look over my shoulder. With those mirrors you'd have to do it twice. This is kinda a thread hijack so my bad but yea I think those mirrors wouldn't work well.
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #38
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzrnbgy View Post
are LED flasher relays LED specific? i mean they have electronic flasher relays at Checkers but it doesnt specify if it will work with LEDs. they also have thermal flashers and i dont know what that means. are the stock ones thermal relays and LED relays would be electronic flashers?
Would someone mind answering these questions. I cant figure out which flasher relay I need to buy. I currently have an electronic flasher relay, but dont want to open it if I know it will not work.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #39
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

i got the electronic flasher thingy and works with my LED signal. the one that comes with the bike is a thermal relay from which you have to get to a certain current to activate it (that why it wouldnt work with LEDs without load resistors)

electronic flashers , on the other hand, uses solid state technology. just make sure you got the variable load flasher

Old May 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #40
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

daytime look