Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Advice: buyer pros and cons...

Hey folks.

Well, as sad as I am to say it, I've sold the ninjette. I'm going to be looking for a 600 very soon, and was contemplating a couple of options. I've been thinking this whole time that I was going to buy a used 600 from someone, but I've been looking around, and reading some reports from members saying that leftover bikes are at pretty good prices right now. I've seen '09 CBR600's for 8 grand, and GSXR600's for 7300. So what are the pros and cons of getting a leftover bike as opposed to a used bike? Thanks in advance.

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Well, if you get a leftover bike, you will be getting factor warranty as well as peace of mind knowing how the bike was treated from the very first mile. Really no cons I can think of other than the price. I would say break in period is a con but I consider that an opportunity to get to know the bike.

If you go used, the bike will already be broken in and the first service will already be done. You will be able to get the bike at a better price (hopefully) and if it is 3+ years old, the insurance starts to drop. Cons would be that you have no idea how the bike was really handled before hand, how the bike was maintained, if there are any hidden issues...that sort of thing.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Leftover as in lefover stock from the previous model year? If this is what you're asking, then there's absolutely no downside other than the fact that you're getting an older model. Usually these bikes will be discounted...you still get a virgin bike...and a dealer warranty.

It's not like most people are going to be using these bikes to the pinnacle of their abilities anyway
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Suzuki did not make a 2010 model, they had too many 2009 in stock and couldn't afford the new graphics for '10. Zero disadvantage in this case.

Leftover Buells had between $3000 and $5000 rebates applied, so a 2009 or 2010 XB would run you about $7,000 out the door, the 1125 was often going for $5,500 out the door. Used Buells are bargain basement because of that rebate (and the killing of the company), so they are a good bargain for a larger (power wise) bike. They are also not the choice of most squids, so they are not as likely to be torn to shreds (but still possible).
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I think Yamaha R6 changes a bit in 2010 to get some top end back - but does it really matter on the street. ZX6R's have been going right round $7K leftover and I think Honda is still up there a bit, but AFAIK no change in 2010 other than color.

I was surprised to see my local dealer just got a leftover green SE ZX10R 2009 model for $8,995 + tax + $125 setup/delivery. Though IMHO the all green 2008 is nicer looking and a couple dealers still have them in the mid $8K range.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
If at all possible I have always like buying new/leftover because I know from day one what has and has not been done to the bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

The guy in the shop just showed up with a new 07 left over Kawi, he picked it up over in gulf port, Mississippi. Sounds like a nice thing if you find the bike your looking for.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Verus Cidere

I'm very interested in this idea, and I'm going to look into it as much as possible before I get another bike. Unfortunately, my buyer backed out today, so I still have to sell the ninjette...

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #9
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

You can't go wrong getting a leftover model year bike. Ask me how I know. There is really no downside, unless you are set on getting the latest and greatest.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Verus Cidere

I was quoted $8510 + TT&L for an '09 GSXR600 today. Good or bad price?

Old June 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Verus Cidere

Hey folks, I have another question for you. Someone told me that since I'm looking into a new bike, and I'm about to go into college, I could get a student loan to buy a bike and have plenty of time to make the money for it before I have to pay it off. I've got a full ride scholarship, so I wouldn't have any other loans to worry about. But I don't want to just go out and do this. What are your thoughts on it? Is there something I'm not thinking about in my excitement?

Old June 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #12
kkim

dunno... maybe it's just me, but I find something fundamentally wrong about using a student loan to buy a bike. how far would $9k go towards your education vs a bike. You may have a full ride, but I know that doesn't cover ALL your educational costs/needs.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #13
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Hey folks, I have another question for you. Someone told me that since I'm looking into a new bike, and I'm about to go into college, I could get a student loan to buy a bike and have plenty of time to make the money for it before I have to pay it off. I've got a full ride scholarship, so I wouldn't have any other loans to worry about. But I don't want to just go out and do this. What are your thoughts on it? Is there something I'm not thinking about in my excitement?
Well it depends on the type of student loan you would be getting. I'm assuming since it won't be for tuition I believe that you will have an unsubsidized loan. This means that you will be gaining interest on it even though you don't need to make a monthly payment on it. Currently federal loan interest rates are currently higher than some of promotional interest rates that dealerships offer on new bikes (ie Kawi is 3.99% for 24 months while federal loans are around 7%). I am not quite sure but you might have to go through your school's financial aid office in order to apply for a federal loan.

In addition due to the health care reform bill (it also affected student loans) interest rates on federal loans will change July 1, no one really knows if the rates will go up or down.

BTW needing a student loan for transportation is a 100% valid reason for taking out a student loan. Here is the website for federal student loans:
http://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DirectLoan/index.html
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Verus Cidere

The other expenses (I.E. books, food, and housing) are also covered. I have a stipend of $1,000 per semester that comes with my scholarship, as well as being eligible for a Pell Grant. Those two things will easily cover my other expenses, and whatever I don't use for that will be put back toward the theoretical student loan if I decide to get it.

As to which kind, I'll be doing some research on what kinds I can get. I just started thinking about it today because I got a letter from Wells Fargo with information about it. I haven't done anything yet, and I'm not going to without quite a bit of research and advice.

Just because I'm curious, and slightly confused, why do you think it's wrong Kerry? Why doesn't it count as a school expense? I'm not discounting, ignoring, or passing over your advice, or saying you're wrong, I would just like to know the more detailed reasons so I can count them into my decision. And, because I've seen it happen several times, and been accused of it before, please don't think I've already made my decision. If I had, I wouldn't have asked for advice, I promise you. Thank you again, and thanks to everyone else that has answered and in advance for those who will.

Old June 4th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #15
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
You can't go wrong getting a leftover model year bike. Ask me how I know. There is really no downside, unless you are set on getting the latest and greatest.
Well, at a dealership near me, I was up there the other day just window shopping killing time. They got a 2008 Blue Kawi ZX-6R for sale! Its a leftover, dunno price, but from it sitting out in the Sun outside over 2 years, some of the Black plastics are UV faded. The bike looks like its 5 yrs old, ya know!

Im sure some product and elbow grease and youll get the bike looking showroom clean again. Or some repaint or re-clearcoating on those UV areas!

Might be on sale for like $6,800.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #16
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

To my mind, paying a bank interest to buy what is essentially a toy is a sucker's deal. If you really need a bike for basic transportation, save up a couple of grand and buy used.
All just MHO of course.
Posted via Mobile Device
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #17
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

There are great deals out there on good used bikes. You should wait 'till you're out of school and working and making some money to but a new bike. After all, if it's not needed for transportation, it's just a toy. And you will need that money for other more important things now and later in your life. You are trying to rationalize a bad decision - getting into debt or spending money now for instant gratification and pleasure and it's not worth it, look around and get a good used bike for 1/2-1/3 the cost if that's what you really want.
Why do you want a new bike? Why don't you keep the Ninja for the foreseeable future? And do you have a car? You can't ride the bike where you live all year to go to school or anywhere else.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #18
Verus Cidere

First of all, it wouldn't be a toy. It would be my daily transportation, just like the ninjette is now. Second, I do ride year-round here. Third, if I get another bike and keep the ninjette, my dad will be riding the ninjette to work as our family only has one car. I haven't made a decision yet, so I can't be trying to rationalize it, and I've already been leaning away from it. I would like to get a new bike to keep from dealing with the crap I dealt with on the ninjette (clutch cable snapped because of a broken part I didn't know about, and there's an electrical problem that kills the bike in the rain that I still can't find). The reason I don't want to keep the ninjette is that I need a little more power when I'm on the highway because of the ridiculous headwinds we have here, as well as almost getting killed a couple times because I didn't have any power on tap to get out of the way. I got run off the road last week because someone in a minivan who knew I was there decided that I should just move and changed lanes. There was someone behind me, but I ended up having to slow down to keep from dying because the ninjette didn't have much more that I could get to. I could've touched both the guardrail and the van on either side. I don't like that. But I take your advice and your thoughts and I recognize them. I'll drop this crazy idea that's only for instant gratification so I can get a toy that I don't need.

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #19
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

My Yamaha was an '09 leftover and it snagged me a $1000 rebate. But paying cash is better than a loan. Avoid payments if you can get a bike in your immediate budget. Get the 250 sold if you are not enjoying it. Then take the money and shop for a solid deal, be it on a used bike or a leftover or a killer can't-pass-up deal.

Old June 6th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #20
Verus Cidere

I'm trying man. I've had two buyers back out after agreeing on a price, and I haven't heard from anybody in about two weeks. I'm just short of giving up on selling the bike. I already found a bike I can afford if I sell mine, and it's a 600, but I have to sell mine first. The bike is a '91 CBR 600 F2, with less than 20k D&D pipe and a custom paint job, + a few other things. They're asking $2500 OBO for it, but it's been for sale for several months and hasn't even had a serious offer yet, so I think they'll take $2k, which I'll have after I sell mine, even if I don't get that much for it. But apparently, nobody wants to buy my bike.

Old June 6th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #21
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

college was fun, and you should have fun on your bike while your at it. you get parking ALL THE TIME, i hated parking at my university...i spent at least 20 mins looking for a spot. plus your college parking permit will be cheaper.

my suggestion? borrow the money from your rich uncle, everyone has a rich uncle. get a part time job 10-12 hours a week, at minimum wage that's about $300 a month. i worked my way through college and took out a loan, you're in a situation to fly through without one, take advantage of it. making that loan payment every month was not easy for the first two years, i was still eating ramen and pasta.

good luck with the sale.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #22
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

"I have a stipend of $1,000 per semester that comes with my scholarship"

You will be surprised how quickly that is used up on books depending on what your major is the number of classes you are taking.

One of my accounting books cost me 200 used, so just a thought on that matter.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #23
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

My ninjette was great when I was at the University. I worked in Salt Lake City and I went to school in Provo. So I rode back and forth every day I had classes, plus I never had to fight for parking, being as there are tons of spots and they are all up close.

Old June 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #24
Verus Cidere

Well, I managed to sell the ninjette to a very excited girl just learning to ride. She finished the MSF course last week and was looking for a starter bike. So now I have money and I'm actually in the market as apposed to speculation. I'll be watching CL for a couple of weeks, but I've also been looking at a '91 CBR600 F2. It's got a little less than 19k miles (expected to have over 40k miles by kbb.com), and a couple other extras (exhaust, fender elim, custom but not-so-great paint job, rear integrator, D&D exhaust). I already test rode it and it runs great! It sounds awesome too! They're asking $2500 obo. It's listed at $1600 on kbb, but with many more miles expected. I was planning on offering $2000 if I decide to go for this. I also probably wouldn't go higher than $2200. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Old June 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #25
Xerxi
ninjette.org member

Name: Xerxi

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 ninja 250

It really depends on the condition of the bike and its owner. If it is a punk teenager who doesnt even own a helmet, I would not buy it.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

FYI

I recommend bringing a friend who know motorcycles mechanics well. I had a friend who bought a 02 r6, for $3k and spend over $6k in fixes.

Good luck with your buy!
Xerxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #26
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxi View Post
I had a friend who bought a 02 r6, for $3k and spend over $6k in fixes.
Ouch! How many miles did the R6 have on it? What went wrong with it?
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #27
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

JMO... but if you are looking to get into a CBR.. go for the F3 or F4. The F3 is the last of the steel framed, but they are great bikes.. plenty of power and great seating position.. 97 and 98s have the best looking tail vs the 95-96s, but they are all good lookin rides..

The F4 has the alum frame and the more modern look to it.. still carb'd though... you can find some good ones for around your price range...

My F4 is very comfortable even compared to my old 250... I paid a bit more for mine, but it was in really good shape... going from teh 250 to the 600 wasnt bad at all either... its nice to have the power when you need it.. but its still light enough (mine is 375 dry) to maneuver around..

Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #28
Verus Cidere

The bike is in very good condition. It's adult owned for it's whole life. Other than a couple of paint bubbles and a slightly loose-fitting tail light, I can't find anything wrong with it. That, and it's being sold at a shop I really trust. He's extremely picky about the bikes he sells, and never allows anything in his shop that he wouldn't buy himself. My sister bought her ninjette from his shop, and we haven't had a single problem yet. And as far as those other models of CBR's go, I'll keep a lookout, but I need a bike fairly soon and I doubt I'll be able to find a bike like that in my price range without waiting a while.

Old June 9th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #29
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

Not to scare you or anything, but you should craigslist a cbr 929 or 954, you can find them dirt cheap (3000-4500) and they are built solid, and look drop dead sexy. The jump was not scary at all, the 250 taught me good throttle control, and the fireblade community is amazing. Plus you can say you ride a fireblade
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #30
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

The bike you are looking at now is 20 years old. What about parts and service for it in the future? And how old are the tires? 6 years old = new tires needed. Add that into your price.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #31
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

How old was your Ninja? You said you had some mechanical issues with it. Do you not expect to have mechanical issues with a 20 year old bike?

Mileage being low just means it wasn't ridden that much. This isn't always true, but usually when something isn't used often, it's "out of sight, out of mind." Was the oil changed on a regular basis? Does the owner have service records, or if he/she did the work, can he/she provide receipts of parts purchased and maybe a log of the dates and mileage the work was completed?

I think your desire to get a larger bike may be clouding your judgment. I do not mean this as an insult. I'm just saying maybe you should step back and continue to research. If this bike really is for basic transportation then maybe you really need to be looking at bikes with 50ish HP and some decent mid-range torque. You don't need any more than that, you want more, and there is nothing wrong with that, but if the vehicle is basic transportation, you need to look at all ownership costs for several years, not just the purchase price.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #32
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
The bike is in very good condition. It's adult owned for it's whole life. Other than a couple of paint bubbles and a slightly loose-fitting tail light, I can't find anything wrong with it. That, and it's being sold at a shop I really trust. He's extremely picky about the bikes he sells, and never allows anything in his shop that he wouldn't buy himself. My sister bought her ninjette from his shop, and we haven't had a single problem yet. And as far as those other models of CBR's go, I'll keep a lookout, but I need a bike fairly soon and I doubt I'll be able to find a bike like that in my price range without waiting a while.
Are you commuting to school or living on campus ? I'm actually downgrading from my 600 because it's a pain in the ass to ride in the city. If anything I would look for a lighter, more comfortable bike (vs. the F2). I would save up $3000 and get a newer bike, you can easily buy a 2000+ sv650, fz6, cbrf4i with $3k. Also think about insurance costs, there's a huge difference from a 600 supersport (F4i) vs. a naked/standard bike like the sv650 (assuming you're under the age of 25).
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #33
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
The bike you are looking at now is 20 years old. What about parts and service for it in the future? And how old are the tires? 6 years old = new tires needed. Add that into your price.
Parts are abundant and cheap, I was ran off the road about 2 months ago and the bike held up like a rock, but stator covers, and other pieces were easy to find on ebay and through dealers and were not expensive. The bike flipped back up and my friend rode it out of the tow lot, they hold up well. Mechanically they are rock solid.

I bought mine with new tires for 4300, people sell them on craigslist with limited tread wear and some offer to put on new tires.

Any other points?
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #34
Verus Cidere

Thanks for the insight folks. Keep it coming. As to my bike search, I've got a couple of other options now. One I looked at today is an '05 Ninja 636, but I'm passing on that one for a couple of reasons (yeah it's dirt cheap, but it needs both rearsets, a lower fairing, a tail fairing, mirrors that don't suck, a good exhaust system, a paint job, and the engine sounds like a paddle-ball convention). I'm heading to another city tomorrow to check out an 04 Triumph daytona 600 with 13k on the clock. The guy that has it says it runs good, but was recently low-speed dropped on the left, so it needs plastic. But it's a really low price, so I'm curious to see what else there is that he's not telling me. He says his price is really low because he just doesn't need it and "has too many bikes to have time for it." We'll see.

I'm technically commuting, as I'm staying with the 'rents for a while. I need a yard to put my dogs in, and I can't get that at the dorms. But I live across town (which here is about 20 minutes) from the university I'm going to, so that's not too much of a worry. The other problem is that it takes a fairly long time to save money at my job right now, and I kinda feel bad about bumming off my sister and using her bike like I have been.

As to the old bike, I've sorta been deadlocked on the decision. The tires are fairly new (last year or less with next to no tread wear). I couldn't say much about servicing. I'll keep it in mind as I look. I thought it was very comfortable, but I really don't like the way it looks. Again, I'm looking around for a while first. Keep the thoughts coming, and thanks for the ones already supplied!

Old June 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #35
Verus Cidere

Well, I checked out the daytona. I'm glad I had a mechanic friend with me, because he said he heard a "knocking" sound that I couldn't hear myself. He described it as a piston knock and said it could be very difficult to repair. I've been advised to stay away from this bike. There were a couple of other things wrong with it, but it's such a good price! Here's a link to the CL post: http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/mcy/1787810751.html What do you think? (Just to clarify, I'm passing on this one already. I'm just curious to hear your thoughts.)