ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

To lower or not to lower?

So I have about 1000 km on my bike. Not much, I know, but it's enough to get an idea of what I can do and what I can't.

I'm a shorty and have been debating lowering the bike for a while. So far, I have kept it stock. My riding and stopping is fine, as I can manage with the ball of my foot (or just toes, depending on road camber) on the ground. However, maneuvering the bike around is a totally different story...

I've had several near-drops when trying to walk the bike forward or backward while still sitting on it. It's also pretty pathetic watching me try to walk it, since my legs are completely straight and toes are pointing -- not much leverage available to actually move the bike anywhere! Therefore I take forever doing it with tiny baby steps, which is not safe in busy parking lots. I also can't back out of my driveway without assistance, because my legs dangle completely when I'm over the curb and I'm not brave enough to just push off and hope the bike doesn't tilt before I can touch the ground again.

I don't really like walking the bike while I'm standing beside it. It doesn't feel stable and I'm not exactly strong. :P

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to lower the bike? I'd like to keep the stock steering geometry, so I would be lowering the front and rear the same amount. If I were to lower the bike 1", would I need a new kickstand?

Which lowering links are the best? I've read (on another forum) that the Roaring Toyz links "look wimpy", as in they won't hold up. I've also read that the Roaring Toyz set fits better than the Soupy's Performance set. Which should I be getting? I'd love to hear any personal experiences.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Seeing that you have had several near drops I would reccomend that you lower the bike. You can lower the front slightly more than the rear for bettering but never lower the rear more than the front.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #3
kkim

I recommend getting off the bike and walking it around. I always do this to position my bike. I never back up while on the bike... too many chances of a mishap.

When walking the bike, be sure to keep it leaning just a small amount towards you and never away from you. Also, always use the front brake to regulate how fast you want the bike to move while you walk it. When i dismount my bike, I always have the front brake engaged and let go of it only when I want the bike to move.

Think of yourself as the third leg of a triangle with the front tire and the rear tire making up the other 2 points. By using the front brake, you essentially have a very stable platform when the front brake is fully applied and the onus of keeping the bike from moving (becoming unstable) is taken off you as the third member of the triangle and fully on how much front brake is applied to steady the bike.

Lowering the bike would work, too, albeit at an expense of a hundred dollars or so. The good thing is, if you ever feel you grow out of using a lowering kit, selling it seems to be relatively easy as there are many who look at lowering kits when they are first learning to ride the bike.

If lowering only an inch, you will not need a new side stand, but the bike will sit a bit more upright than w/o lowering.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I have the roaring toyz lowering kit. I don't regret lowering it. The links might look wimpy but they are pretty strong. I have changed the height twice and checked the links and have not bent or show any signs of wear. I had originally put it on the third hole and as i got more comfortable i raised it a hole. I had to put the lowering kickstand at first but when i raised it i had to change the kickstand back to the stock one.

One of the main reason i raised it up again is that the rear tire would rub the fender above the tire when i would hit a big bump.

It was pretty easy to install by myself.

Old May 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

It's much better to walk beside the bike. Being on it and trying to move it...1 slip of the shoe and your going down. Then not only will you damage the bike, but even worse, you will most likely hurt yourself. When walking beside it, if the unfortunate does happen, your most likely not going to be hurt (physically at least!).

I move my bike around on the porch when I clean, and when wet, the tile is very slick. A trick I use when moving the bike is to keep the kickstand down. Lift the bike just enough so the kickstand comes off the ground about an inch. If you loose your footing, the bike will simply lean right down onto the kickstand. Just keep an eye out not to hit the stand with your leg, walk the bike slowly and carefully.

As for lowering...it may be a good idea if your on the border of reaching when riding. If you stop somewhere one day and the road is slick, you don't want to be dancing on your toes.

Old May 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #6
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

i agree with scraitT to set the kickstand down...walk the bike from the right side and if the bike goes too far to the left the kickstand will keep it from going down...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

What about a lowered seat first? It might make enough difference that you would not need to lower the suspension.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #8
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

First, I agree with Kelly that you should just get off the bike to maneuver it. I would avoid lowering a bike unless absolutely necessary.

Second, if you do decide to lower the bike make sure you do the front and rear equally.

I have the Soupy's adjustable links on one of my pre-gen bikes (to raise the rear in my case) and they work great. I like that Soupy's lowering kit includes handlebar risers so that you can lower the front as well.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9
kkim

Just a note... some have reported linkage rubbing problems when using Soupy's lowering link on their new gens when lowering the rear of the bike which is why I suggest using the Roaring Toyz rear links instead.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #10
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

You should try having your seat shaved if you choose not to lower your bike. I forgot to mention i had my seat redone also and the upholsterer replace the old foam with 1" of more comfortable foam.

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #11
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I'd get off the bike and walk it.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #12
SCREEM
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 08 connie 14, 08 honda ruckus(gave to mom)

another vote for the seat, look around the DIY's. I would start here.
SCREEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Don't we have a sponsor that does seat work?
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote