ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 19th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Removing rust from chain

So today I had my first day at rider course. Awesome day. Already knew most of what we covered, since it's a beginner course, but still was nice to be on a bike for 6 hours to practice.

I started talking to my instructor about the rusted chain on my bike. I told him I read online that WD-40 would help remove the rust from my chain if I spray that on the chain and then take a wire brush to it. However, he said not to use WD-40 because that will be bad for the O-ring in the chain. So instead he said to just take a wire brush to it alone to remove the rust, and then apply the chain lube that I have, and that should be good.

Does anyone have any experience with removing rust from their chain? How did you do it?

Not that it matters, but I have PJ1 Blue Label Chain Lube.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I really doubt WD-40 will hurt the rubber o-rings - you can use it to remove adhesive from paint without damage.

I'd use it or a stronger penetrant (for un-sticking rusty bolts) and a small wire brush. That's if it's moderately rusted.

If it's really bad I'd replace the chain.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
kennetht
ninjette.org member

ill try and take a picture tomorrow if i have time and upload it here. the chain is a bit rusted, but I dont think its bad to the extent that I would have to get a new chain. You all know a lot more than I do, so once you see the picture you can offer your opinion.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I really doubt WD-40 will hurt the rubber o-rings - you can use it to remove adhesive from paint without damage.

I'd use it or a stronger penetrant (for un-sticking rusty bolts) and a small wire brush. That's if it's moderately rusted.

If it's really bad I'd replace the chain.
I ended up just taking a wire brush to the chain for about a half hour. Most, if not all of the rust I got removed pretty well. Then put the chain lube on, and now shes good as new.

Wish I took before and after pictures, because now you cant even tell that the chain was ever rusted to begin with. Looks brand new

Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Check for kinks and tight spots in your chain. Make sure you chain is adjusted properly. Check your chain slack at multiple locations to make sure you don't have a stretched chain. It should not tighten/loosen up in any part of the chain. If you saw red dust like powder in between the links it means the internal lube has dried up and the link is bad or going bad.

When you say wire brush I hope you are meaning a soft bristle brush. Metal will tear up the rubber o rings that hold the lube in your links.

DuPont has an awesome motorcycle degreaser that works great on chains and other grease. Kerosene is a better alternative than wd40 as it won't go past the o rings.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Check for kinks and tight spots in your chain. Make sure you chain is adjusted properly. Check your chain slack at multiple locations to make sure you don't have a stretched chain. It should not tighten/loosen up in any part of the chain. If you saw red dust like powder in between the links it means the internal lube has dried up and the link is bad or going bad.

When you say wire brush I hope you are meaning a soft bristle brush. Metal will tear up the rubber o rings that hold the lube in your links.

DuPont has an awesome motorcycle degreaser that works great on chains and other grease. Kerosene is a better alternative than wd40 as it won't go past the o rings.
yeah it was a normal wire bristle brush that you would use to remove rust. kind of like a bbq grill brush, yet with thinner bristles. making it a little more gentle. a soft bristle brush would not have removed the rust...