ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Fuel economy difference in riding style

With some recent interest in improving fuel economy, I thought I would share some recent results. Yesterday I refueled my lightly modified 2005 pregen ( SilverAero/aerotrunk project) and needed 1.89 gallons to top off the tank for the 178.5 miles that I covered for a result of 94 mpg. My previous tankfill included the Ninjette Rally that I hosted and was down to 74 mpg. The difference was due to the harder pace that I rode during the Rally vs. my usual pace running errands and commuting. I rode my streamliner on the second day of the rally and got similar results: 86mpg vs the usual 100-110 mpg result. Higher speeds and hard acceleration suck up the fuel! I will admit that it was a lot of fun

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:18 PM   #2
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

That's amazing that you can achieve those mpg with riding technique and bike modifications.
I'm getting around 38 mpg
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:35 PM   #3
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I think we have an entirely different school of thought on the modification motivations involved with motorcycle modification.

I also think I have a 'new-gen' so I'm not sure our discussion is linear, but here I go.

With a pod filter, free flowing oversize exhaust, carb work, and the aerodynamic "tuck" of a skinny person with no other aerodynamic mods or changes from factory-stock-oem-trim, I average 56mpg. That's with 91 octane non-ethanol fuel.

I ride mostly at sea-level, which is obviously a contributing factor.

However, I modified my bike with different priorities in mind. I routinely take it to the track, and I demand everything the motorcycle can give me. I obey all traffic laws, but I accelerate to the speed limit from each stop at the quickest pace possible that the bike can provide.

I only notice fluctuations of 2mpg from drastic changes in riding style. That is to say, the worst will usually be 54mpg, and the best will be 58mpg.

What do you think the best way to get a better gas mileage out of my motorcycle is?

Congrats on the record, that must be full-turtle-mode acceleration from stop signs and absolute-maximum-cruising-speed through turns on the interstate.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:23 AM   #4
hobosmeller
ninjette.org member

Name: Juan

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 with 8500 miles!!

94 mpg!!?? are you sure you aren't riding on a couple of nine volts instead of a 249cc engine? lol that's incredible!!

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM   #5
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Quote:
With a pod filter, free flowing oversize exhaust, carb work, and the aerodynamic "tuck" of a skinny person with no other aerodynamic mods or changes from factory-stock-oem-trim, I average 56mpg. That's with 91 octane non-ethanol fuel.

I ride mostly at sea-level, which is obviously a contributing factor.

However, I modified my bike with different priorities in mind. I routinely take it to the track, and I demand everything the motorcycle can give me. I obey all traffic laws, but I accelerate to the speed limit from each stop at the quickest pace possible that the bike can provide.

I only notice fluctuations of 2mpg from drastic changes in riding style. That is to say, the worst will usually be 54mpg, and the best will be 58mpg.

What do you think the best way to get a better gas mileage out of my motorcycle is?

Congrats on the record, that must be full-turtle-mode acceleration from stop signs and absolute-maximum-cruising-speed through turns on the interstate.

Thank you! Your observations about acceleration are correct; hard to moderate acceleration doesn't effect fuel economy very much. I find that moderate acceleration to my target speed is the best compromise for efficiency and safety. TC, with your modifications and priorities you are probably doing pretty good already. To get better fuel economy on public roads without changing the setup I would focus on ridng techniques mostly: moderate acceleration to the target cruising speed ( tcs), maintaining the tcs in as tall a gearing and as small a throttle opening as possible, looking far ahead to anticipate stops and slow-downs, and minimizing braking for turns and stops. You can also run higher tire pressures ( for me ~42 psi) and make sure that your chain is lubed and adjusted corrrectly all the time. Check your moto to make sure the rear wheel is in perfect alignment, that the wheel bearings are in good shape and that the brake pads are retracting so that there is minimal brake drag. It's all about being smooth and apying attention to all the details. Do that and you will succedd.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:48 PM   #6
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Sweet! Thanks for the tips.

The full-turtle-mode-acceleration is going to be a hard one for me.