ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Wind noise.

I've been pretty happy with my ninjette for the year that I have owned it, but there are a couple of things that really bug me with this bike, and make it unsuitable for long distance high speed riding.

I think my ride this afternoon was the longest distance I have put on the bike in a single day(230mi, went to Trenton GA, really beautiful up there. ), I know thats not a lot, but anything over 50mi on this bike really starts to become uncomfortable.

The first thing is wind noise, even with NRR32 earplugs properly inserted, the wind noise is deafening. The air from the windscreen hits me right at face level, when I stand up on the pegs, the noise suddenly goes away, if I tuck I get a high pitched squeal. I'm about ready to rip the windscreen out, does anyone know if the front fairing holds its shape without it?

The second thing is the seat, Its just not very comfortable, but I feel my butt is going to be sore sitting down on anything short of a couch for 6hrs. My biggest complaint is the wind noise, because it makes my ears very very sore, to the point where I have to stop every 20 to 40mi to give my ears a few min break.

Im pretty sure I was getting some stares while going down I-59 at 85mph standing up on the pegs, just because it was more comfortable up there.

Sorry for the rant, but I just want to travel in relative comfort, and my time on the ninja has gave me a very good understanding of what I want in a motorcycle, and I know for sure, that my next bike wont be a supersport.

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
tylernt
Special Member

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 500, '81 Yamaha XS400

http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sp...ptbks/281.html
+
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kn250r8f.shtml

or,

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...ns.aspx?id=429
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #3
kkim

have you tried a different helmet to see if it would cut down on the amount of wind noise?

gee, changing the windshield and using a different seat... who would've thunk that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Lol, I only have one helmet, I've never wore anything else.
I've been thinking about a double bubble windscreen for a while now, but I'm worried that I will spend the money, and it might not fix my issue. As far as a different bike, I have a pretty good idea that my next bike will be sans fairings.

I think im going to remove the windscreen the next time I ride it, and see if the front fairing deforms any at speed, if that does not work, then I might be ordering a double bubble.

I'd like to not spend too much money on this bike, because I may end up selling it a few months from now. I want to move out on my own sometime this year, and with going to school, and working part time, I don't think I can afford to keep a motorcycle. Plus if I don't have to worry about my motorcycle I can move to a cheaper, more crime ridden area.

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #5
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

Icons do nothing for the noise Shoei rF1K so
Much quieter the seats blow...ima get a puig screen
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #6
kkim

if you can, try borrowing a brand different helmet from someone local just to see if it changes anything.

Finding a proper fitting helmet suited for your particular head shape should result in a very quiet ride with reduced wind noise.

you should be able to ride w/o the screen w/o problems.

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

I got a Scorpion EXO400, im sure its not the most aerodynamic bucket out there, but it fits pretty well. The biggest thing is just where the windscreen dumps the air at me when im in my most comfortable riding position, which is with my elbows slightly bent, and my forearms parallel to the ground. If I sit bolt-upright some of the wind noise goes away, but I don't feel comfortable like that, and my hands start to go numb after a few minutes.

Old May 15th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #8
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i'm not familiar with the type earplugs you mentioned, but am amazed that with them properly inserted you're experiencing the noise levels you described. are the earplugs the proper size? plugs not sized right, even properly fitted, won't offer the protection desired. i'd try a different pair of plugs properly fitted to see if that'll eliminate the problem first.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I got a Scorpion EXO400, im sure its not the most aerodynamic bucket out there, but it fits pretty well.
I'm pretty sure your whistle is coming from the helmet. I have an EXO400 as well, and I've noticed that if I have the top vents open and if I tilt my head slightly forwards I get a whistle. Depending on your height and riding posture, you might be getting the whistle more often. Try closing the two vents on the crown of the helmet (the ones with the little rocker switches) and see if that gets rid of the whistle.

Also, as for the wind noise, the EXO400 isn't particularly quiet. Without earplugs going above 40 is almost painful, but I have some of the ultimate softness hearos and they turn the loud, distracting wind noise into background noise.

Taking the windscreen off is going to wreak havoc on your air capsule. You might notice less wind hitting you in a certain place, but overall you're going to be much less aerodynamic. Any taller windscreen will move the top of the air capsule up over your shoulders and you'll notice markedly less turbulence, which will most likely cut down on wind noise and the uncomfortable feeling of being a windsock.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #10
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I also have a Scorpion EXO400. It can be a noisy helmet.

Earplug fit is important. You could get custom plugs.

A Windjammer might help you.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #11
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I also have a EXO 400 and agree with the previous posters, it is not a quiet helmet. I have been using the earplugs that I get at work and they help some, but I still get a headache after a while. My bike had a double bubble when I got it so I can't compare it with the stock windscreen for any noise reduction. As for the seat, I still have the stock seat and my rump has either gotten used to it or one of the two has gotten broke in. I rode it from socal to Tacoma Wa a few weeks again without any serious comfort issues.

nb

Old May 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Well If your next bike is naked be prepared for sore arms as you gotta hold on alot harder..lol the windblast is quite rough on extended Hiway driving i used to avoid the highway on my last bike because of the wind. A bigger windscreen might help you out but the helmet seems to be the big problem, I got the scorpion 700 and I don't notice it being overly noisy.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Replace your helmet! Probably going to cost you more than $400 to get a decently quiet helmet but it is worth every penny.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My helmet is a MONSTER. The larger GMAX 58S helmet face shields simply DO NOT SEAL. I'm using wind skirts stuffing, tape all around any plastic seem etc (except I need to put on my glasses so the offending shield remains untaped).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #15
JeffM
Mr. 988

Conducted a little experiment while on my ride this morning. I placed my hand at various locations around my helmet (EXO400) and found that by blocking the air around the neck padding (I have a skirt on the chin bar) I could reduce the noise substantially. I might have to try a windjammer or similar poduct to reduce noise at freeway speeds.

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #16
kkim

one exo400 review. read what they have to say about noise level.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...rpion/exo-400/

Old May 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #17
JeffM
Mr. 988

The review explains alot. If I remove my Laminar Lip, which causes buffeting, I get a quieter ride with the direct air blast from the stock windshied.

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Arai Quantum 2 on sale at Revzilla right now (40%).
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Shark RSX. Not sure if anybody still carries that in the U.S as they pulled out of the market a while back (they're making a comeback in Canada)...but if you can find a dealer that still has stock, it's a great helmet and you can probably get it for practically nothing. It's really quiet, as well. I almost never wear ear plugs.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #20
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Judging from that review, the helmet seems to be my problem. If I stand up on the pegs and get my head away from the fairings its super quiet, but sitting on the bike its like a constant rumble noise, sort of like thunder.
The earplugs I use are the Hearos ultimate softness, of all the plugs I ever used I have yet to find a better ear plug, although I've never tried anything super pricey, although the Hearos are far from the cheapest.

I think I'm gonna have to buy a new helmet this summer. Anyone know of any lower priced helmets that fit a long oval head shape?

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #21
kkim

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #22
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

^Interesting. It looks like that Shark RSX Flashmonkey mentioned is on the narrow side. I'll have to go see if I can find it anywhere, and just how cheap I can get it.

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #23
kkim

My biggest problem with helmets is trying to figure out my head shape in the first place. I have never seen a guide as to how to determine what shape head one has.

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #24
motor32
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Kawasaki Concours --- 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I always ride with ear-plugs. The key is when you put them in you have to hold them there until they expand in your ear canal. Sometimes you may have to push them in further. They have to have a tight seal. Sometimes if there not right I will pull over take my helmet off and redo them.
As for the seat, try some bike-shorts. I've used them for years and would'nt ride without them. They make any seat more comfortable. Here's a link. Only $30.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400000_400065
motor32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #25
JeffM
Mr. 988

+1 on the bike shorts.

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #26
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Tried standing up on the pegs this morning and you're right about it recuding wind noise significantly. Must be some crazy aerodynamics goin on with the EXO400. I might actually take the double bubble windscreen off and put the stock one back on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #27
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

give the seat some time to wear in, after 1 riding season my seat has softened up and its comfortable. also, make sure your legs are supporting you, not your ass.

as for the helmet, i bought the shoei rf-1000, and it seemed to be for more of a rounder face. It was snug around my skull but loose around my face, so i bought thicker cheek pads, and the helmet is nice and snug now.

Old May 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #28
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
^Interesting. It looks like that Shark RSX Flashmonkey mentioned is on the narrow side. I'll have to go see if I can find it anywhere, and just how cheap I can get it.
I'm not sure it's really a narrow helmet, as much as it is a round oval kinda helmet. People's descriptions of helmet fit is almost always subjective, though...so try it on

Just for reference, my head fits in a Shoei, but it's not as comfortable for me as the Arai rx-7 and the Suomy lids. The Scorpion EXO-1000 doesn't fit me very well at all.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote