ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

So if you followed my previous posts

...from ages back, you know I have been keeping an eye out for a comfortable bike that I can go long distances with.

My vacation to the Bahamas put me on board a Harley (fat boy I believe, can't remember) and we cruised around the island.

While I do like some HD bikes, this was not one of them. I had one hell of a time finding neutral, having a heel/toe shifter didn't help. I spent 45 seconds in one spot trying to find the damn neutral on it. Then the guide walked up and said "put it in first, then lightly tap the heel shifter, and you will be in neutral." Huh? I mean if you tapped it just a TAD too hard, then you are in second. I now fancy my Kawi transmission design with the neutral finder (not that it is hard to find in the first place).

Wow, it is some kind of art form on that bike. The Sportster I threw a leg over in Cozumel just owned this Bahamas bike in quality.

Back to my original topic. So we rode around the island for about 2.5 hours before really coming to a nice long stop. My lower back was killing me as were my hands. I had a death grip on the bars because if I didn't, the wind would blow my hands off of them.

So I can now rule out a cruiser for a possible bike. The sportster was not as bad, but still not all that great. I think the only way to make a cruiser comfortable would be a back rest for the rider and a windshield (yet that would get really hot on Texas summer days).

I started to think and the KLR/GS600 all have a seating position similar to the 250, but with more leg room. That messes with my lower back on long rides. If I could distribute the weight more between my arms and back, then I think I will find a nice balance. Yes I think the only way to help my back out is to lean more forward. New bars are not the solution. I need a new bike.

Deals are all around us right now in the motorcycle department. If I could just talk my wife into letting me upgrade. It has been a battle because of all that is going on. I have several things to fix around the house, so that costs money. Home comes before bike. BLAH!!

I found a sweet deal on a 2009 ZX6R, even a 09 CBR600RR, and I want it. I just need to win the lotto.

Any suggestions on mods for the 250 to help me out until I can get my hands on a new/new-to-me bike?

I wish I could put some suspension on, or mod the bike where the seat is raised. That would help a bunch.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
kkim

what is it that you would like to "fix" first on the 250?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I would like to fix several things on the 250. I'd like some more power, better seating position, more comfortable saddle, 17" wheels, single sided exhaust, better plastics, hard luggage that doesn't require a custom job to make happen and more.

lol

If they had a Ninja ZX4R, I'd be all over it. hahaha

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I would like to fix several things on the 250. I'd like some more power, better seating position, more comfortable saddle, 17" wheels, single sided exhaust, better plastics, hard luggage that doesn't require a custom job to make happen and more.

have you shimmed your needles?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
have you shimmed your needles?
nope. I didn't want to bother getting into the carbs until I got a K&N filter and modded the airbox.

I guess I need to add that to my "to-do" list.

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

You can upgrade to an 08 and fix half those issues.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

If I upgrade, I might as well spend a little extra cash and get a 600 or 1000 (since 400's aren't made anymore and most 500's are as old of a design as my pregen).

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #8
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Any suggestions on mods for the 250 to help me out until I can get my hands on a new/new-to-me bike?

I wish I could put some suspension on, or mod the bike where the seat is raised. That would help a bunch.
Straight pipes, ape hangers, a sissy bar, gel seat with back rest, and a few trips to the gym.

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
If I upgrade, I might as well spend a little extra cash and get a 600 or 1000 (since 400's aren't made anymore and most 500's are as old of a design as my pregen).
An old design isn't necessarily a bad thing. Those ninja 500's might fit the bill quite nicely. They're cheap as hell too!

Failing that, I'd recommend one of the early iterations of the SV650 as a cheap upgrade.

Can't really help you with ideas for modding out the 250....as my solution to this issue was getting a larger bike
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Mark, what kind of deals are you seeing on ZX6R and CBR? ZX6R here are all about gone, but CBR, R6, and a couple R6S still available.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #11
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I'd say one of the 650 variants. The 650r, versys, or Er6n for kawasaki. Suzuki has the sv650 and I'm sure some similar competition to the other kawi 650s.

Or as someone mentioned earlier, a ninja 500. Since they are still the old styling, they are dirt cheap, and it should address most of your problems.

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #12
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:

lol

If they had a Ninja ZX4R, I'd be all over it. hahaha
So, suggestions in order: carb work like shims; no suggestions on position; check out a repadding/reskinning of the seat; scrounge for some used or well-priced 17" rollers; Area P; no idea; no opinion, I travel light.

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Mark, what kind of deals are you seeing on ZX6R and CBR? ZX6R here are all about gone, but CBR, R6, and a couple R6S still available.
Brand new 09 ZX6R for $7k and a 09 ZX10R for $9k

I am really going to chat with my wife about this.

For those interested, I noticed the dealer had a new 250R for $4100.

I did throw my leg over a 09 CBR600RR. Ummm, yeah, that thing is sweet. The clutch has even and very smooth pull. The throttle feels good in your hand as well. The front and rear brake has much better feel and the transmission is awesome with a "snick, snick" positive feel.

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:

I am really going to chat with my wife about this.

For those interested, I noticed the dealer had a new 250R for $4100.

I did throw my leg over a 09 CBR600RR. Ummm, yeah, that thing is sweet. The clutch has even and very smooth pull. The throttle feels good in your hand as well. The front and rear brake has much better feel and the transmission is awesome with a "snick, snick" positive feel.
The 2 remaining ZX6R here were 6999 + 250 fees + tax. The insurance is $990 for me however, with clean record.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #15
Flashmonkey

Quote:
$7K?!?!? Gawdamnit.....

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

My brother's KLR650 is a straight up and down seating position, I think that is out for you then.

Go swing a leg over a Buell Ulysses and see what you think. Might need some mods for your weather since it is aircooled and tends to heat things around it. There is a "comfort kit" or the DIY method of putting it together. Right scoop, frame insulation, air box insulation, seat insulation. The comfort kit offers one other part. Power- yes. Hard luggage - yes. Two up riding - yes. Backrest for passenger - yes (trust me you wife will love that part). 06 XB12X can be had for $4000- $5500 used.

A back belt might help too, some of the back pro. have a tight kidney support belt built in that might offer the assistance you need along with better safety.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Backrest not required. If I got a ZX6R or 600RR, then I could get the cowl for the passenger seat. My wife is terrified of motorcycles. I think that is the main reason she doesn't want me to upgrade. She doesn't understand my comfort and safety argument. So she will never throw a leg over a bike, not even to just sit.

Though I have been thinking about getting her a tiny little scooter to ride around the neighborhood. I think she'd enjoy that.

Buell is out of the question. I like the bikes, don't get me wrong, but HD won't be supporting them forever. I think I'm better off sticking with a Honda or Kawi.

Old May 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #18
ScraitT
Green!

Speaking of Honda...

I think the Interceptor is supposed to be much more upright and roomy. From what I have read it's a very comfortable ride. There's a lot of mixed reviews on it because it's not a sport bike, yet it's not really a full sport tourer.
I've sat on them and found them very roomy and comfortable, but I'm only 5'8 and about 150, so almost any bike is roomy enough.

It meets most of your criteria I think...even the hard saddle bags for storage. And as a bonus, it has ABS optional.
The biggest advantage is that the bike really doesn't seem to sell well. I consistently see 1-3 year old bikes at the showroom. However the bike has been around forever, so you don;t have to worry about finding parts.

You might be able to find a 1-2 year old showroom model for cheap if you look around And if you find one with ABS, that's an added incentive, especially for pointing out the safety to the wife.

Old May 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #19
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Get a VFR.

As far as support goes, you are right HD will get out as fast as possible. But there is enough of a cult following that parts will turn up once HD abandons all service. That and most of the engine internals are based on the Sportster motor so a lot of things will be around for a very long time. I doubt S&S will destroy all the machine tools they made for their engines.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I really like the VFR's. Too bad the dealer by me sold its stock about 4 months ago.

They had an older VFR, had it for a long while, finally moved it. I wanted that bike badly. Had the blue/red/white color scheme. It was a sexy bike.

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #21
Flashmonkey

I like both the 2009 ZX6r and 600rr, but those bikes mental little track weapons. Not sure how you feel about used bikes, and the insane deals you have available to you for 2009 model supersports are hard to argue with...but if overall comfort and sportiness are your goals, then I'd suggest the 2001 ZX6r (aka 2002+ zzr600). That is one comfortable bike...and it's looks are fairly non-threatening

Plus I'd imagine it would be a massive PITA to put luggage onto these new, anorexic supersports.

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #22
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
I really like the VFR's. Too bad the dealer by me sold its stock about 4 months ago.

They had an older VFR, had it for a long while, finally moved it. I wanted that bike badly. Had the blue/red/white color scheme. It was a sexy bike.
Interceptor...VRF...same thing

Weird, maybe they have different demands in different areas. Down here, I have never seen one on the road, and theres always quite a few on the showroom floors.

Old May 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #23
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Oh I know. I just like typing 3 letters vs 11.

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #24
tylernt
Special Member

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 500, '81 Yamaha XS400

This may sound crazy, but one of the mods I've been considering on my Ninja 500 is adding front frame sliders to serve as highway pegs. Apparently, it's been tried before, and putting my legs in about that position feels natural enough that I think I'm going to try it. Dunno if this will work for the 250, but it's an idea.
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote