ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 28th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #321
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
The reason I ask is because I ride pretty conservatively and never dragged anything.

It's just that, in the future, if I'm ever in a situation where I went in a corner too hot (street) and the feelers dragged, I'll know I can keep that lean angle to complete the turn.

So....my 2nd question: if the feelers do touch down while I'm mid corner, do I hold the throttle position the way it is? Or should I roll off gently? What can I do with the throttle to either maintain my line (or better yet....tighten my line)?
Great question... and in the original spirit of this thread.

1st off: You shouldn't be dragging stuff in the first place. A proactive review of your riding every now and then should reveal a potential problem before it happens. And yes, I know emergencies can change this, when you need to lean.... by all means... lean it. Never give up until the bike does!

2nd: Your default reaction to most corner issues should be to continue the throttle roll. UNLESS.... you get into real nasty stuff or real trouble. Then... as I have done many times... (as a couple of ninjette members have witnessed...) Stand that bike up and use every inch of pavement you have to brake as hard as you can in a controlled way. The simple reality is... if your gunna hit something anyway, why not hit it at 25mph vs. 50mph. Just before you get to the edge of the pavement, you are at the moment of truth, can you turn the bike again? If so, then flick that sucker in hard and do it without hesitation.

Now there is an exception to my answer to #2. The hook turn is a "track oriented" technique that pays dividends on the street when you find yourself in a "situation". Honestly... you aint got much time to figger out what to do, but whatever you do, do it with conviction and purpose. A timely executed hook turn can save many turn in point and bad line issues. The main reason you hook it is, to not violate throttle control rule number 1 and yet still be able to tighten you line mid corner.

If you feel you need to widen your line... countersteer the bike up, roll off (do not chop it!!!), avoid your issue, repoint the bike (resteer) and get back to the throttle ASAP!

Lastly... pray you never need to do any of the things listed above.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 28th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #322
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i believe i would rather try to go for the turn and lowside on pavement and deal with a 6 inch drop and slide than i would straight line it off road on the brakes, instantly lose traction and hit a tree or guard rail or something

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #323
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i believe i would rather try to go for the turn and lowside on pavement and deal with a 6 inch drop and slide than i would straight line it off road on the brakes, instantly lose traction and hit a tree or guard rail or something
Id go that far in the second attempt but I'll let myself correct and brake before I let myself run the risk of lowsiding

Old March 28th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #324
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i always trail in so it's usually not an issue to just trail it further in, but when you've already gone down all the way and that blind decreasing radius turn gets tighter up ahead and you need to make some buffer in order to pull up and do some extra hard braking again... sometimes you just run out of room from the retry and you just have to go for it. you know you'll scrape it up but i'd rather go back down and go for it rather than just hope for the slowest impact on the side.

Old March 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #325
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Well... at some point in that mix (moment of truth) you gotta make a choice. To low or high side or something else. If you're looking at an open field, the riding it out may be a better choice, if you're looking at a cliff, getting off asap may be in order.

Either way... good braking braking has the possibility of slowing down faster than a body sliding on pavement. I see what your getting at though. If the rider isn't good on the brakes you're hitting the tree faster than sliding into it. That is a call I can't make though, the rider must make it.

Then there is the human part of things, when at the end of the day the rider asks "why" and what could I have done differently. When I go to bike night, I hear "I just leaned and prayed" most often. We both known each other Alex, you know I am not a fan of "just praying". But then again... I also know, that many riders are not even close to the limits at that moment of truth when they believe they are going down. It's a tough call to make, and even harder when asked the question on an internet forum. :\

Old March 28th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #326
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
i always trail in so it's usually not an issue to just trail it further in, but when you've already gone down all the way and that blind decreasing radius turn gets tighter up ahead and you need to make some buffer in order to pull up and do some extra hard braking again... sometimes you just run out of room from the retry and you just have to go for it. you know you'll scrape it up but i'd rather go back down and go for it rather than just hope for the slowest impact on the side.
Yea, we are saying the same thing, just using different words. When your out of room and out of time... How do you wanna hit said obstacle? The only part that is somewhat different between what we are posting, is... once you have made a choice of what to do, then do it, weather it be on the gas or on the brake.

Also, when you run outta pavement (tire hits dirt) the game totally changes. I am not really throwing that into the mix as the choice to give up or leave it up to luck has already been made at that point. Ya know... only somewhat relevant to the current question asked by cadd.

Old March 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #327
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
for sure.

and yeah running off the track is totes different from on the street. i don't even know how many times i've run off the track. those little ninjas offroad pretty well when you got the room. worst ive done was blowing turn 5 at chucky on the 600 and hitting the burm... somehow didn't go down... got back on track at the pit in and nursed my balls back to life

Old March 28th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #328
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
here i was playing with the video editor and got carried away.

Link to original page on YouTube.

p.s. watch the movie tinker tailor soldier spy on netflix, great flick

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #329
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
2 question for you track guys (and girls):
1- Is it necessary to get your knee down on the track (250/300 specific)? Would a knee down always = faster speeds?

2 - When the feelers on the pegs touch down....at that lean angle....with proper body positioning, would one be able to get his/her knee down?

I'm just trying to get a mental image of how leaned over you have to be to get the peg feelers down.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #330
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
1- Is it necessary to get your knee down on the track (250/300 specific)? Would a knee down always = faster speeds?

NO

2 - When the feelers on the pegs touch down....at that lean angle....with proper body positioning, would one be able to get his/her knee down?

Yes

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #331
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:

I'm just trying to get a mental image of how leaned over you have to be to get the peg feelers down.
1. Not at all, though you will find that you enjoy the sensation
knee down does not always mean faster, in fact I have passed several riders who were knee down mid corner without my knee down simply because I apexed later and was able to power out sooner and had more drive out of the exit while they were still leaned over. As a rule of thumb though, if someone is taking a good line and has their knee down they're probably flying.

2. If your bp is right you'll drag knee before feeler or peg. Personally I believe the absolute limit of lean to be when you are dragging your knee, elbow, and your peg at the same time. To reach that level of lean requires an insane amount of commitment to yourself and practicing your riding skills at the track. The feelers will touch down pretty quick but won't be an issue. Personally I remove mine since I use my knee as my feeler at the track and I don't ride hard enough on the street for it to matter.

If you want to know how far leaned over you need to be to get the pegs down just tip your bike over

seriously though, sport bikes (ninjette included) have crazy ground clearance and you're more likely to hit your own mental limit than to hit the bike's limit of lean until you're very comfortable with the bike.

Also, scraping pegs is and isn't a big deal. It isn't going to put you down right away if you're just skimming them but if you're touching your pegs to the ground while riding at all you need to be on a track for your own safety.

edit: beaten to it by @csmith12 guess it pays to not be so long winded

Old March 28th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #332
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

1, knee out does nothing for the bike. its all for the rider feeling. knee out means air drag. it actually slows you down.

2, with proper body positioning, you would be dragging all kinds of body parts long before you touched any hard parts.

you gotta be over pretty damn far to be touching your pegs... with good body position, you'll be sliding around from so much lean before you would be touching things... so with good body position you almost never worry about it unless you're really givin it what for.

Old March 29th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #333
kalleh
ninjette.org member

Name: Kalle

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Duke 690

Quote:
1, knee out does nothing for the bike. its all for the rider feeling. knee out means air drag. it actually slows you down.
Exactly this! In fact, depending on your riding style, your knee will touch sooner the worse your body positioning is - bad body pos means you will need more lean given a certain speed to go around a corner.

Quote:
2, with proper body positioning, you would be dragging all kinds of body parts long before you touched any hard parts.

you gotta be over pretty damn far to be touching your pegs... with good body position, you'll be sliding around from so much lean before you would be touching things... so with good body position you almost never worry about it unless you're really givin it what for.
This is dependent on rear suspension setup. With rear preload too soft it's easy to drag pegs in pretty much any high speed corner.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #334
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i guess i'm also used to my stupid race rearsets and ground down shorty pegs

Old March 29th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #335
kalleh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i guess i'm also used to my stupid race rearsets and ground down shorty pegs
I have stock Woodcraft rearsets in the top-rear position and once I get excited there can be quite a lot of peg-dragging action That said, when the excitement gets high my body pos might suffer a little bit too... I'll also notice pretty quickly if I position my foot too far down on the edge of the peg - since switching to a 300 on the track I get the full money's worth out of my replaceable toe sliders

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #336
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wesley

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250ex 1989 Ninja 250ex 2005 Ninja 250ex 2007 Ninja 250ex 2011 Ninja 250r 1993 CBR600

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #337
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
we call them literbike elbows

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #338
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250ex 1989 Ninja 250ex 2005 Ninja 250ex 2007 Ninja 250ex 2011 Ninja 250r 1993 CBR600

What is that haha?

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #339
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #340
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

ohh haha. Should I changed it up?

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #341
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
haha na man i'm just teasin

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #342
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

Oh well fine then.

Old March 30th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #343
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:

1. Knee down is just a gauge to feel where the pavement is and assess how much more you can lean the bike.

2. When i had stock pegs, i removed the feelers and from cornering the pegs were ground to the rubber. so yes.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #344
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 race prepped, 2009 Zx6R

the first and only time i have hit peg i low sided at the track ha.. a combination of things.. this is a crappy pic but shows a decent lean angle.. couldve had my knee closer in. After riding more and gaining more track experience you see all these crazy BPs that you have to wonder if they are hindering or helping but all that matters is your position when the checkered drops in the end i guess.. I have felt that my bp is decent but i use my knee like a crutch and sometimes im mid corner and think to myself "i need to pull my knee in to get more lean and carry more speed" or that it is taking me off my line but not allowing more turn in so i pull it up and in and it works well. When i was down at chuckwalla one of their super fast dudes rides way tight to the bike even at full tilt so his knee isnt out or down as much as i would have thought it was but he romps like crazy..

Braden07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #345
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Just thought I would post my new favourite photo from this past weekend mini racing. This is on the Kayo 125 mini GP bike So much fun!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10403477_10153260605400991_805114976080429369_n.jpg (71.9 KB, 24 views)
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:15 AM   #346
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That pic is great. I'm thinking, damn that GoPro camera is huge. Before I realize that the rider isn't huge, and the bike is actually tiny. The very slick proportions on that bike don't give away its size without a reference.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2015, 03:40 PM   #347
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I like that suit pattern.

The picture looks like when people photoshop their track pictures to make their head the proportion of a bobble head.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:16 PM   #348
cvrle1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Marko

Motorcycle(s): Sv650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Just thought I would post my new favourite photo from this past weekend mini racing. This is on the Kayo 125 mini GP bike So much fun!!
GMR

Did some corner marshaling last season there. Would love to try riding there as well.
cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:24 PM   #349
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Welcome Marko!

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #350
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That pic is great. I'm thinking, damn that GoPro camera is huge. Before I realize that the rider isn't huge, and the bike is actually tiny. The very slick proportions on that bike don't give away its size without a reference.
Hahaha, true! It's hard to tell that it's a tiny bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I like that suit pattern.

The picture looks like when people photoshop their track pictures to make their head the proportion of a bobble head.
Thanks The suit was my old Kawasaki AMA racing suit that was changed to read Kayo now that I'm riding the Kayo for SVRACINGPARTS.COM lol!

Looks pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
GMR

Did some corner marshaling last season there. Would love to try riding there as well.
Yes, GMR! You should come ride!! Or at least come watch the next race and say hi! June 21st!

Old June 4th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #351
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Found a pic of you while pursing OMRL facetubes lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #352
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Here's a screen capture from my last race weekend. I rotated the image to make the horizon closer to flat.

AFM #867 (5309)
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #353
kalleh
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca00 View Post
Here's a screen capture from my last race weekend. I rotated the image to make the horizon closer to flat.

And here's me in the very same corner, same race weekend

Edit: Ah, that is T3, this is T5b...

Photo by 4theriders/Joe Salas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4TR_2586.jpg (106.9 KB, 258 views)

Old June 9th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #354
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Looking good through there!
AFM #867 (5309)
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #355
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

One of my fav winter activity:

Back in 2003, I visited Moab, UT with my dirtbike:

Last futzed with by "A"; June 9th, 2015 at 07:07 PM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #356
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post

Found a pic of you while pursing OMRL facetubes lol
I had just made a sweet sweet pass Can't wait for the next race weekend!!!

Did you see that my kid (just turned 6) did his first race that same weekend. He's kinda addicted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10419519_10153260606145991_4871189014059940181_n.jpg (71.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8687.jpg (132.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8653.jpg (119.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 11216263_10205880321620816_4890771714696584810_n.jpg (88.4 KB, 12 views)

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 11:01 AM   #357
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Ok, had to share this photo of my son's (just turned 6) second race! He's proving to be a natural
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ashton Race PM.jpg (85.6 KB, 6 views)

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM   #358
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice!!! Hoping to get my son on the track this season. Like you, imma put him on the kart track first.

Nice!!!! Time to raise those pegs and love to see the kids puttin' in werk! They are the future.

Old June 24th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #359
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Liked! I'm jealous of these young guys getting into racing so early. I won't be able to until after college.

It's like skiers; the younger people start, the more fearless they are.
+1 same here I have a year to go with school.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #360
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

hard to hang off at 4'10"

AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote