ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 28th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Firebrick
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250

2005 carb leaking

Miss the ninjette I sold so Im going to go look at a low milage very clean 2005 whose owner says the bike runs but the carb is leaking. Im guessing the bike has sat for awhile because of the low low miles. what should I be looking for, anything that wouldn't be fixable to look for regarding the carbs? Decent price for the bike but I may try to haggle down a little lower since the tires are most likely original and will need replaced right off. Plus you can't ride it right now so Im guessing they want it gone.
Firebrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrick View Post
Miss the ninjette I sold so Im going to go look at a low milage very clean 2005 whose owner says the bike runs but the carb is leaking. Im guessing the bike has sat for awhile because of the low low miles. what should I be looking for, anything that wouldn't be fixable to look for regarding the carbs? Decent price for the bike but I may try to haggle down a little lower since the tires are most likely original and will need replaced right off. Plus you can't ride it right now so Im guessing they want it gone.
could be leaking gasket, stuck needle nothing a carb rebuild wouldnt fix. If he had to pay for that it probably be $300-400 at the moto shop. Def a diy job.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16

When bikes seat for long time, just like the tires, all the rubber or neoprene parts harden.

We are talking about the soft internal parts of the carburetors and petcock.
There are kits containing only those specific parts.

You could replace those and clean the jets and passages of the carburetors following our DIY's threads; it is not that difficult if you have some shaded place to work and some common hand tools.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
if it been sitting, your guaranteed to be rebuilding the carburetors, changing all fluids, inspecting everything else.

My 2˘ about the carburetors,

Beyond common problems...... comprehensive carb cleaning is not for everyone, there is much to go wrong in short order. We've seen many members endlessly chase their tails, break stuff, assemble and adjust stuff wrong.*

With some of the fleet becoming old, the vast majority require much more than "cleaning". The potential for leakage must be addressed, any less attention is irresponsible, and yes, this may even require thowing money and parts at them (gasp). Consumables...carb innards are not forever items. * **

And certainly there is MORE... much more....to it than simply addressing the pilot jets while they are out and on the bench. **

Please...you're screwing around with FUEL...if not absolutely sure of what you're doing...send them to someone who is.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Firebrick
ninjette.org member

Went and looked at the bike today. Its a near perfect condition stock 250 with less than 1500 miles. She stated the bike wouldn't start so her husband tried to unclog the carbs, she doesn't know what he did but its leaking fuel now when you try to start it. Hmmm well thats worse than what I wanted to hear. I know Id immediately replace the stock tires plus worried that the carb may be more than I want to tackle myself I offered $1100. She said she would think about it but wants 1500. If it ran Id do that all day long but who knows what hubby did to the carbs.

Old March 29th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Went and looked at the bike today. Its a near perfect condition stock 250 with less than 1500 miles. She stated the bike wouldn't start so her husband tried to unclog the carbs, she doesn't know what he did but its leaking fuel now when you try to start it. Hmmm well thats worse than what I wanted to hear. I know Id immediately replace the stock tires plus worried that the carb may be more than I want to tackle myself I offered $1100. She said she would think about it but wants 1500. If it ran Id do that all day long but who knows what hubby did to the carbs.
@Firebrick

Anything he did can be undone, no worries.

A through and meticulous carburetor cleaning and rebuilding will fix them.

All else fails I can give you name of a fellow carburetor guru, he offers rebuilding services, kits, etc.... And he's reasonably priced too.

His forum member name on Ninjette is ducatiman he's from EX-500.COM which is where I know him from, and I personally vouch for him and his services.

He has been doing the EX500 carburetors for awhile of there, and even do some here as well.

Drop him a PM

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.

Last futzed with by Ghostt; March 29th, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #7
crazymadbastard

I wouldnt give more than you offered. $300-400 to fix and you'd be better off finding a good runner for the $1500

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Firebrick
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
I wouldnt give more than you offered. $300-400 to fix and you'd be better off finding a good runner for the $1500
I should never have sold my last one, having it dialed in just the way I wanted by following every suggestion at ninja250.org years ago. Alas I thought I wanted a bigger bike and traded it for a vstrom. I miss my little ninjette and look for one every once in awhile. What keyed me in on this one is the low miles, it's stock, and it's in perfect condition cosmetically. If she calls back and takes the offer great! If not, No biggie, I'm not offering more.

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #9
crazymadbastard

Quote:
I should never have sold my last one, having it dialed in just the way I wanted by following every suggestion at ninja250.org years ago. Alas I thought I wanted a bigger bike and traded it for a vstrom. I miss my little ninjette and look for one every once in awhile. What keyed me in on this one is the low miles, it's stock, and it's in perfect condition cosmetically. If she calls back and takes the offer great! If not, No biggie, I'm not offering more.
live and learn, I am looking for a 600-30,000cc bike myself but keeping this one.

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #10
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250F

Just sounds like its been sitting for awhile and the carbs would need a good run through. Could be a myriad of things until you take it apart, really.
ieathonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #11
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

I bought a fixer upper. Don't buy a fixer upper. Yes it did teach me a lot on bike maintenance but if this is your first bike you want to spend most of the time riding it not fooling with the carbs.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Firebrick
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
I bought a fixer upper. Don't buy a fixer upper. Yes it did teach me a lot on bike maintenance but if this is your first bike you want to spend most of the time riding it not fooling with the carbs.
Definitely not my first bike. Never worked on carbs before but I had a 250 and did all the maintenance on it before, including valve checks.

Old March 30th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #13
crazymadbastard

Call her up every now and then, she will come around once she gets tired of dealing with the general public.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:51 PM   #14
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
afa carbs, try me out, lot less than a dealer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250#2.jpg (113.6 KB, 1 views)
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote