ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old October 1st, 2011, 12:56 PM   #1
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

DIY - Strobing Brakelight (1 sec. @ 10Hz)

A few weeks ago, my wife and I are on our way to work when we pull up behind a couple of Gwinnett County motorcops. We noticed that when they hit their brakes that the lights would flash rapidly for about a second or two and then go solid. It really grabbed your attention!

My wife said "That's pretty neat and I bet it's a ton safer than mine, reckon we could put something like that on my Ninja?" And the plan was set in motion. It took me a few days to find exactly what I was looking for, I didn't want the "pods" and I wanted something that flashed faster than 2-3X a second. Then I found what I was looking for.

SuperBrightLEDs.com's Brake Light Strobing Module for $7.95

It has to be used in conjunction with an LED bulb, so I went ahead and ordered one of these as well. I went with the red in a 100* field of light. It was $7.49. I have a friend who's ordered a few things from them, so I knew it was a legit organization. A quick Google search found a 5% off coupon code (re561, if I remember right) and USPS Priority shipping came out to just under $20.

It arrived at the house 2 days after I ordered it and installation was a snap. Took less than 10 minutes total.

1. Took the passenger seat off
2. Removed the stock brake light bulb
3. Disconnected the connector for it
4. Trimmed the heat shrink on the brake lights pigtail back 1-1.5"
5. Then spliced the module into the pigtail with some 18-22ga butt connectors. (**Note: the Brown wire of the module is on the bike side and the blue wire of the module goes to the bulb side...the Brake light is the Blue wire on the pigtail.)
6. Then replaced the bulb with the LED one
7. Fit the new bulb into the housing and wedge the module into the empty space between the two "uprights" in the trunk. It's a pretty tight squeeze, so I didn't even use the double sided tape so that I'd be able to remove it easily if I needed to.
8. Reconnect the connector
9. Turn the ignition to on and give a quick test, worked like a champ.
10. Refit the rear seat and it's good to go.

This is the effect that you get:
http://youtu.be/mi-iQmMqGkI

Pretty quick and easy and a total price of less than $25 (The butt connectors were $2.99 from AutoZone)!!!

Not too bad, IMHO.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/linked from main DIY sticky thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM   #3
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Do you have a comparison between the old OEM light vs the led ones? which one is brighter? I heard led lights aren't really that visible compared to the OEM ones
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Most states limit the number of times it can flash before going solid. I think yours is a bit too long for any state.

IIRC, CA only allows three flashes or two then solid.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #5
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

I don't think Georgia will say much about them since I was behind two motorcycle cops with the same brake light setup and thats what sparked the idea (Gwinnett Co. PD, btw). Also, I've had Hyper-lites on my last two touring bikes for over 3 years. They strobe at a somewhat slower pace, but do not stop flashing and never had anything said about them.

This is what I had on my old bikeHyper Lites Pods, my father is riding the bike around in NM now. He had to have it inspected by I believe the Hwy Patrol in NM before he could title it out there. They said nothing about them in the inspection and I was never pulled over for them in Georgia.

The ones Hyper Lites sell now can be set to flash for 5 seconds or flash continually, so perhaps some states have laws pertaining to them. I think Cali Law is 4 flashes and then solid.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:14 PM   #6
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Most states limit the number of times it can flash before going solid. I think yours is a bit too long for any state.

IIRC, CA only allows three flashes or two then solid.
That sounds right. I have the old no-cut modulator that was popular when the '08 came out, which I think blinks too many times, but I haven't had any problems over it with LEOs. I've been pulled over for other things, so it's not like they haven't seen it either..... but I believe CA does have a 3 flash limit. It isn't something to worry about, but if you're looking to install one you might as well do it right.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:25 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Really?!?!?! flash limits. Does the world really need to be that dumbed down. Sigh....

Nice job on the mod and DIY.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #8
headshrink

CA is likely the LEAST FREE state.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:58 AM   #9
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I'd like to ask about the 10hz rate. I tried a brake modulator that flashed at about 20 hz and I could see it flashing well in the daylight, but at night, once my persistence vision kicked in, I could not longer see it flash... it just looked dim, then got bright once I went solid.

Have you noticed this with the 10hz rate at night? Maybe 20 was just too fast.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
headshrink

I don't have a reference point for the flash rate, and don't know what mine it, but the blinks are certainly distinguishable as separate blinks.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

I was lookin for brighter than stock bulbs for my tinted tails.
Can anyone confirm these are brighter ? If so I'll order the whole kit but normally I flash my brakes on my own
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #12
NinjaLINY
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JP

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Did you use the single or dual intensity?
NinjaLINY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #13
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

One of the first MODS I did was put in the "Back OFF" brake light modulator in. Saw a difference immediatly on how close people would come up behind me with the Mod. was well worth the money.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #14
headshrink

I still need to get one for my new bike. It's a Honda, so I can't just switch my old no-plug unit from the Ninja over. I'm going to be adding LED strips to the rear anyways to serve as running/brake lights, and may just a unit that has a brake modulating function, and leave the original light as it. I don't know if it adds any extra safety margin to have 2 flashing & 1 solid brake light, vs. 3 flashing brake lights, but I doubt it would hurt.

Old April 18th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
One of the first MODS I did was put in the "Back OFF" brake light modulator in. Saw a difference immediatly on how close people would come up behind me with the Mod. was well worth the money.
Could you explain further?
Any pics or vids?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #16
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.signaldynamics.com/flashing-brake-lights/

I ordered a few flashers from http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake...-flasher-c-65/, but haven't gotten around to installing them on anything yet (was planning one for my Clear Alternatives LED tail, one for the custom LED PCB I'm building, and one for the high-mount LED brake light on the Cobalt).

I like that you can adjust the number of flashes, how fast they flash, and pattern repetition. A few quick flashes when you first apply your brakes is enough to catch people's attention, then they're normal brake lights after that. You get some extra visibility when you hit your brakes without being annoying or confusing to other motorists. I've noticed some ambulances around here with the same setup.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #17
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Could you explain further?
Any pics or vids?
I will try to get some pics and a vid put up tomorrow. There are a few settings that you can do, but I have it flash 5 times then goes to solid, from reading that I have done you don't want it to continuously flash since drivers will become complacent to that.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I will try to get some pics and a vid put up tomorrow. There are a few settings that you can do, but I have it flash 5 times then goes to solid, from reading that I have done you don't want it to continuously flash since drivers will become complacent to that.
Thanks !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote