ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #1
mcwidave
Learning to walk

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 06 Red Ninja 250

Any experience with the "Seal Mate" tool???

So, my fork seal just started leaking and I was thinking about taking it to the shop to have it fixed. I was browsing the internet looking at tips as well for DIY and saw a tool called the Seal Mate. I guess my only question is has anyone had experience with this thing and if so has it worked for you to save your fork seals? It's only $5 so I might just give it a try.

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #2
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
a thin piece of plastic, or a film negative will do the same thing,and you can probably find a suitable piece in the garbage. I have had it stop a weeping seal before.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I made one using milk jug plastic. It was able to reach down to the seals and perform its job. I was initially skeptical of how effective it was, but cleaning the tiniest amount of dirt out of the seals completely stopped any leaking from my forks.

It's worth taking a shot at it before replacing the seals.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #4
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

My buddy races motocross and he swears by the 'seal doctor' which as far as i can tell, pretty much does the same thing.

If your seals are showing cracks and dried out this sort of thing wont help them. Being that its a street bike and that it is behind a fairing, its probably not all packed off with dirt.

The fork seal thing isn't that bad, and if you really aren't feeling it, just take off your fork tubes and drop them at a moto shop, should be less than 50 bucks for the pair to have them pop in new seals, clean, and re-fill with oil. IF you have the right seal drivers it takes about a half hour once the tubes are off.

I'm sure someone has a youtube vid of changing fork seals.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #5
mcwidave
Learning to walk

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 06 Red Ninja 250

Yeah, I've seen the DIY vids on changing them, I'm just not sure that it's something I feel comfortable tackling to be honest. I am still new to performing my own work on my bike. I used to just drop my last bike at the dealer and trust that I was getting a good deal. The dust and oil seals look to be in pretty decent shape so I think I may give a make-shift seal mate a shot.

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Old August 19th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I have a seal mate in my garage somewhere but after looking around for 5 mins trying to find it each time I need it I just give up and make one out of some thin plastic I find lying around.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote