ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #1
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

handling characteristics at track speeds

with a thought towards racing next year i have been doing a lot of track days with my 250 this summer-i did racetech front and ohlins rear and i am running bt-003rs.handling is ok,but i'm getting bump slides front and rear at full lean-is this typical-bike is sprung for my weight,but does seem stiffer than my other bikes-frame flex with sticky tires?-just deal with it?i go thru the apex of riverside at buttonwillow pretty much screaming in my helmet-any advise
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

stop screaming so loud, ditch the bridgestone front tire and get a pirelli or michelin, and join CVMA or AFM.

Also buttonwillow is bumpy as crap with less grip than other tracks, was there like 2 weeks ago and sliding the rear everywhere as well, esp coming out of the top of lost hill. But seriously, get a pirelli front tire, you'll never look back.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
ratlab
ratlab

get rid of front and rear bridgestones?-which pirelli?-i know what you mean,i thought it was just me,but those tires were tucking and sliding all over that track-if that is what it is i have never been so uncomfortable with a set of tires in my life-first time with bridgestone-always used dunlop or pirelli on track

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Thats the impression I had with the front bridgestone as well. Zero confidence in it at all if there's any imperfections on the track. The rear end I dont mind sliding on it, since its really progressive and apparently lasts forever (been racing/tracking 1-2 times/month on it since NOVEMBER). Airing down the bridgestone to 22psi cold 25psi hot helped a bunch though. I switched to the Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 front back in Febuary and have NEVER had it give even an inch on me, no matter how terribly I've blown the corner. Can't say enough good things about it. I've been using the pirelli sc1 front and bridgestone bt-003 rear and fastest I've pulled at chuckwalla is a 2:09 (race qualifying) and at buttonwillow a 2:14ish (at 75% effort speed, dont feel like crashing at a track day) with that combo.

I've got a brand new set of michelin power one race tires in the garage I'll be trying out at the next race in sept so hopefully they're as good as the pirellis. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for and neither the Pirellis nor the Michelins are cheap. Thats why I went with the expensive front tire, cheapo rear.

Pirellis:
http://www.coreytaylorracing.com/pro...upercorsa.html
110/70-17 front: $186 (SC1 compound)
150/60-17 rear: $186 (SC1 compound)

Michelins:
http://www.racersedgeperformance.com/page38.html
110/70-17 front: $150 (Soft A compound)
150/60-17 rear: $185 (Med/Soft B compound)

EDIT: I remember i bought my pirelli front off amazon for super cheap, because the tires are a batch from 2008. But TBH I've raced a half season on them without warmers and they STILL have amazing grip and lots of rubber left. The picture is wrong, but the manufacturer part number they have is correct for our tires:
http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-Diablo.../dp/B0013LAC2G
also:
http://www.motorcycletire.com/mercha...ore_Code=tires
No idea about the condition on those
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #5
ratlab
ratlab

thanks for the info-i know chris at ct racing- i coach for let's ride and he provides tires for us-2:14 is pretty impressive for a 250 at buttonwillow !!

Old August 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
TheMojoRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): Ninja!

I need a set of bridgestones 003RS for street and track riding. Where are you guys buying tires? Trying to get them cheap as one of the benefits of going down from 600 supersport is cost of ownership
TheMojoRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM   #7
MattRichling
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post

EDIT: I remember i bought my pirelli front off amazon for super cheap, because the tires are a batch from 2008. But TBH I've raced a half season on them without warmers and they STILL have amazing grip and lots of rubber left. The picture is wrong, but the manufacturer part number they have is correct for our tires:
http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-Diablo.../dp/B0013LAC2G
also:
http://www.motorcycletire.com/mercha...ore_Code=tires
No idea about the condition on those
UGHHH AWESOME! Just ordered my missing front. Saved me 70$, Thanks! Love the Supercorsas!
MattRichling is offline   Reply With Quote