ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Chadi

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Lo-Hi beam headlight replacement

If I want to replace the OEM headlight bulbs with brighter ones (not HID), do I install the same H7 bulb in both spots or is the hi-beam a different kind? If yes which one should I get?

Thanks
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

They are both identical!

The hi-beam is 'hi' based on the curvature of the reflector.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Sweeeeet!

Thanks

Old March 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Just ordered a set of headlights from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

$26 for both, not bad.

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

This is just an FYI for other noobs

I was using the shortcut method explained in this video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQc8xbNbARA

When I tried to change the OEM headlight I find out that the ones I purchased are smaller (in length). Bummed as I was I put the OEM headlight bulbs back.

Went back to the video above and saw one of the commenters saying that there's a "base" that's supposed to be switched from the old to the new bulbs (which explains the difference in length).

Ran down and tried that and it worked! Too bad I didn't take any before/after pictures but the headlights are noticeably brighter (it's no HID though )

Moral of the story:
1- The quick method works
2- Change the headlight bulb base
3- Read YouTube comments and never give up

Old March 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #6
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

Glad everything worded out! I run Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Not quite the light output as the xtremes but the light is whiter. (Tinting the bulb makes them whiter but lowers output a bit. For safety's sake, I might try the xtremes next time. These bulbs don't last as long as the stockers, though
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja1 View Post
This is just an FYI for other noobs

I was using the shortcut method explained in this video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQc8xbNbARA

When I tried to change the OEM headlight I find out that the ones I purchased are smaller (in length). Bummed as I was I put the OEM headlight bulbs back.

Went back to the video above and saw one of the commenters saying that there's a "base" that's supposed to be switched from the old to the new bulbs (which explains the difference in length).

Ran down and tried that and it worked! Too bad I didn't take any before/after pictures but the headlights are noticeably brighter (it's no HID though )

Moral of the story:
1- The quick method works
2- Change the headlight bulb base
3- Read YouTube comments and never give up
Express your anger and down-vote the video. The author NEEDS to address it. Few things make me more more angry than a "helpful" video that does more harm than good. One of those comments was mine and to see that he still hasn't addressed it and it is still causing problems... well... angers me further.

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 16th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
DemonRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Ramon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 650R

I was leaning toward these, just for trial

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
DemonRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Bit of a resurrection, but thanks for the link to the quickie method! The video now states the bit about the black base in the description.

No one in town carries Philips, so picked up Sylvania's. Figured it'd be a good experiment in seeing at night. :-)
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #10
ninjarrr
ninjette.org member

Name: Nin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250RRRRR!

Hi guys, I've been a long time lurker but this is my first post. I ride a Ninja 250 in the UK.

I've just replaced my dipped beam bulb with a GE Megalight (one of those 90% brighter bulbs).

Now my dipped beam is just as bright as my full beam. Is this normal? i.e. full beam is just like 2 dipped beam bulbs on.

With my older headlight (some generic brand I think) the full beam light was brighter than dipped. One possible explanation is that the old bulb was on it's way out and hence less bright.

I also tried connecting the full beam bulb to the dipped socket as some people suggest that the bulbs are the same but the wiring determines how bright they shine. For me, the full beam bulb was as bright in the dipped beam socket/wiring as it is in the full beam socket.

Can anyone shed any light (haha) on this?
ninjarrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #11
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarrr View Post
Hi guys, I've been a long time lurker but this is my first post. I ride a Ninja 250 in the UK.

I've just replaced my dipped beam bulb with a GE Megalight (one of those 90% brighter bulbs).

Now my dipped beam is just as bright as my full beam. Is this normal? i.e. full beam is just like 2 dipped beam bulbs on.

With my older headlight (some generic brand I think) the full beam light was brighter than dipped. One possible explanation is that the old bulb was on it's way out and hence less bright.

I also tried connecting the full beam bulb to the dipped socket as some people suggest that the bulbs are the same but the wiring determines how bright they shine. For me, the full beam bulb was as bright in the dipped beam socket/wiring as it is in the full beam socket.

The bulbs and wiring are the same. The housings are different to reflect higher/lower. As long as they're H7 55W you're good to go.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarrr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
They are both identical!

The hi-beam is 'hi' based on the curvature of the reflector.
Both bulbs (based on this wiring diagram) are fed power from the same wire going into the left control switch. The switch determines which of the two bulbs gets power, and according to leed's post, the shape of the reflector determines the "high" or "low" beam pattern. I know there are differences between US and European headlight pattern standards, so that may come into play here on a US vs. UK bike.

If you have a really bright overdriven low bulb, it might very well look just as bright as your standard old bulb in the high beam housing. Try swapping the old bulb into the low beam housing, and the new bulb into the high beam housing, and see how different they are.

Also, note that the headlight bulbs get their power through the headlight switch. There's quite frequently a noticeable drop in voltage between the fusebox and the headlight plug due to the power having to go through the small wiring and switches used by the controls. You can add relays so that the factory wiring flips the relays to feed power directly from the battery to the bulb. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html has details (this is an example of a pre-made kit, but with H4 plugs on it rather than H7). Voltage drop causes an exponential drop in light output, so a bulb rated for 1000 lumens at 12.8V will only put out 510 lumens at 10.5V. A relay kit will ensure that your bulb is actually performing like it should. Getting full voltage to your bulbs will make them put out more light, without having to buy new bulbs (which usually put out more light at the expense of bulb lifetime).
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote