ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Exclamation Level in sight glass is rising!

I have suspected, since my last oil change, that I MAY have coolant sloooowly mixing with my oil. The sight glass seemed a little higher than normal before popping the drain plug (I always do my own changes), and the oil looked suspiciously runny. It wasn't real obvious, and I don't think it was real cloudy, but it very subtly looked "off."

I know there can be a tendency to see things when you are looking for something that is wrong, but ever since then I have been very meticulous about how I take my oil level readings. It is always in the same spot of my garage, and I use a second person and rear stand to put pressure on the spools (but not lift) so that it would be perfectly level every time I check the glass.

Well, I have my bike stripped down right now for an unrelated DIY I am working on, and I noticed the level in the sight glass is higher than it was earlier this week. It is not over, but ALMOST to the max mark on the glass (I believe it was ~2/3 of the way when I filled it). Also, the coolant reservoir is still withing the "safe" zone, but the level is hovering just above the min. mark (I believe it used to be at about the middle). I just installed the Daytona Temp. gauge about a week ago, and am surprised at how high the temps get, but since I didn't have a reference point, don't know if this is normal for this bike (I run in the neighborhood of 175-185 on the highway when the weather is in the 80s, and can get up to 220 at stop lights, generally when it is in the upper 80s to low 90s). If I was mixing fluids, I suspect the cooling properties would not be as sufficient.

Any ideas on what I am likely looking at? Is this a 'go to the dealer, do not collect $200' situation, or should I just keep an eye on it? I am now under the extended warranty, so should I expect it all to be covered?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I just installed my temp gauge today and get about the same readings as you.
Hope that helps. If you were mixing oil and coolant you would see it. There would be no doubt. Pull the oil filler cap and look at the underside. If theres a creamy color film on the bottom of it your getting coolant in the oil.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
I just installed my temp gauge today and get about the same readings as you.
Hope that helps. If you were mixing oil and coolant you would see it. There would be no doubt. Pull the oil filler cap and look at the underside. If theres a creamy color film on the bottom of it your getting coolant in the oil.
Thanks for the confirmation on the temps. Did you use my Daytona DIY wiki?

I just checked the cap, and I don't see any obvious creamy film. The oil still has a newish appearance (~500 miles). It also has a gasoline-like smell in there.... but I am assuming that is normal.

I just don't know why it seems to be creeping up..... this is going to drive me crazy!

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
kkim

don't worry about it... you are crazy. (I won't ask your profession)

if you were leaking coolant into the oil, it would be very noticeable in the sight glass by a creamy, chocolate coffee colored oil. If you had oil in the coolant, there would be a ring of brown stuff in your bottle.

you worry too much... ride the bike and don't obsess.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Elves are pouring in a couple extra ounces of oil each night. If it gets too high, take out a few ounces every few days and sell 'em on ebay.

Happy to help.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #6
headshrink

Well.... in that case I prefer to be a little crazy than have a broken bike.

But I will probably need an RX because I will obsess over the mystery oil. I mean, the laws of physics are actually being broken inside my motorcycle - amazing!

Old July 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
headshrink

Thought I would post a pic before heading off to bed.

It is difficult to see in the pic, but I think I see a slight greenish tint, and maybe a little cloudyness.. but hard to say. Maybe tomorrow I will take some oil and coolant, and mix it for reference.

Oh, and the level looks normal in this picture because it is on the rear stand.

Old July 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
if you were leaking coolant into the oil, it would be very noticeable in the sight glass by a creamy, chocolate coffee colored oil.
does your picture look like creamy chocolate coffee? water and oil emulsifies.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #9
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Bob,

Based on the last picture (on the stand), I would venture to say your level is OK. I just checked mine on the stand and it shows full. When my bike is on the ground and vertical, it is normally just below the top mark.

As long as it took you to spend your Father's Day $50, I hope you don't worry about the oil level more than a couple of weeks.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #10
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
As long as it took you to spend your Father's Day $50, I hope you don't worry about the oil level more than a couple of weeks.
I've got to be a LITTLE anal.... not being anal enough left my old car in disrepair until it could only be donated for scrap. This is the only new vehicle, other than my immaculate 2002 Postal Trek 5200. At least I don't diaper it EVERY weekend, like I did the first 9 months or so

I did spend the Father's Day Money over a week ago.... but I do still get the occasional suggestion (people don't read the whole thread I think).

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #11
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If you were mixing oil/coolant, the oil would appear "milky". Also, if it had been sitting long enough for all of the oil to drain to the bottom, the oil level would appear to be a little higher than if you just filled it or ran it.
If you drain the oil when it's cold, and there was coolant in it, the coolant would be the first thing out of the drain hole. Coolant is heavier than oil and will settle to the bottom.

Old July 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #12
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

That oil is fine. If there was even the slightest bit of coolant in there you would KNOW.
CHILL DUDE its all good.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #13
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

your head is shrinking..i can see it..
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #14
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

The reason is looks like the oil is changing is just the dyes in the oil breaking down. That green color of RotellaT is just dye. It gradually loses its color and gets that foggy look.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

maybe this was posted already (didn't read it all), but the longer your bike sits after running, the higher it'll read in the sight window. so... checking oil level 3 or 4 minutes after turning off the bike will read a lot different than checking the oil level 20 minutes after turning it off.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #16
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
The reason is looks like the oil is changing is just the dyes in the oil breaking down. That green color of RotellaT is just dye. It gradually loses its color and gets that foggy look.
Thanks for telling me that.... now I don't feel as crazy, and helps explain what I actually am seeing vs. not seeing.

Although I had come to the conclusion that I probably was crazy, since the level is not rising, and everyone says I am

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM   #17
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

You are right. Your oil is slightly green tinted. That's how it's supposed to look I've noticed NORMAL oil when you tend to overanalyze everything and what you're looking through is less than say an inch thick of oil, it will appear a light brown, gray around the edges, and somewhere between almost green tinged. It's perfectly fine. Oil and water/coolant don't mix. They might get mixed into each other, but they'll always separate again. If you had coolant in your oil, you'd know.

Here's something to consider: Has your assistant been slowly gaining weight? If they're weighing it down, wouldn't that cause the sight to read a little more full?

I find it slightly surprising you think you're gaining fluid in your oil rather than burning some :P
elars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM   #18
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by elars View Post
I find it slightly surprising you think you're gaining fluid in your oil rather than burning some :P
Probably because I really don't have much experience with engines and don't have a lot of direct guidance, other than forums/manuals. As a kid I learned how to change the oil on a car, fill the gas tank, and that is about it. Pretty much every project is a new learning curve for me, and although they do build on each other, I am still at a relatively basic level of knowledge regarding mechanics.

So to answer your question, it really never occurred to me. I thought in a closed system the coolant would have no where to go, unless it leaked out.