Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old December 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

IRC tires FTW!!

To all the naysayers, those who say that there is anything wrong with IRC roadwinners on a commuting bike, or really, any bike that isn't going to the track, I say .

Earlier today (ok, last night, but I work nights, so I haven't gone to bed yet and it's still today for me) I passed 20,000 miles on my 250. Original tires. The back is badly worn, and they will be replaced this weekend. The front will be replaced as well as the back, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could get another 10,000 miles out of it.

The wear bars are gone, as well as the tread in the center. But no cords showing, and no problems riding in the rain this past week. (until I got home, mud is not the place for these tires anyway)

Oh, and I bought the new pair for right around 170 bucks front and back.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

You are aware of the other 5 gears above the one you use, right???
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
high mileage does not an awesome tire make. Warm up time, feel while leaned over, tip-in feeling, feeling when it's about to slip, etc etc all go into that decision.

From my experience riding other people's IRC's, they're just meh. They do the job but don't inspire much confidence. They slide, they're hard, they take forever to warm up. Not my kind of tire.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

my tires are 18k and still going strong, lol.

IRC best tire for the $$$, lol.

Old December 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
You are aware of the other 5 gears above the one you use, right???
This is almost exclusively 60-75 mph freeway driving. FWIW, I suck at maintaining tire pressure, so far too much of that time has been with the pressures too low, which means increased tire wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
high mileage does not an awesome tire make. Warm up time, feel while leaned over, tip-in feeling, feeling when it's about to slip, etc etc all go into that decision.

From my experience riding other people's IRC's, they're just meh. They do the job but don't inspire much confidence. They slide, they're hard, they take forever to warm up. Not my kind of tire.
For a commuter tire, it does make for an awesome tire. I've never had to slow down for freeway curves, and I can handle street riding at speeds as high as should be done on public roads.

If you want to take it to the track, or treat the roads like a track, you might want something stickier. But for most people, who either mostly just commute, like me, or pretend to be awesome racers but never really ride that hard, these are perfectly good tires.

Old December 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
If you want to take it to the track, or treat the roads like a track, you might want something stickier. But for most people, who either mostly just commute, like me, or pretend to be awesome racers but never really ride that hard, these are perfectly good tires.
This fits into George Carlin's famous quote (paraphrased, at least) Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a moron.

If you're getting almost 20k miles out of any motorcycle tire for any reason, you are gentle on your tires. That means you aren't cornering to put any load on the tires, you aren't braking or accelerating quickly, and you are reaping the benefits in tire wear. There is a very large gulf between the way you are presumably using the bike (based on this wear), and using the road like a track. No judgement, and no recommendation that anyone needs to change however they enjoy their bikes. But IRC's just aren't great other than for the uses you've described.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the irc's are fine rear tires. you don't load the rear tire on this bike

they make horrible front tires though. terrible terrible. too hard, no feedback, really no grip at all on the front tire. you can put a decent force on the front tire with the 250, brakes and turning

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

thats crazy, im at about 6.5k miles and im gonna need a near rear. could be due to the hard breaking/skidding period i had when i first got the bike though ;D. Right now theres noo tread and if i get this job that means im gonna have alot of wet twisty roads with a nice touch of FOG with no tread.

should be interesting.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I was of the same opinion that the IRC tires were decent ok ones and thought that these guys were crazy getting rid of a tire that had thousands of miles left on it to ride, I just replaced my original front one due to dry rotting at 8000 miles and it looked freaking brand new. First ride with the new shinko front tire and holy crap what a difference the front felt more planted, I could lean it further..I actually could trust the front end now, when riding the stock one hard I would always have to watch to not push it too hard.. wait till you put some good rubber on that bike.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Yes, a new tire is going to feel a lot better than a tire with 8000 miles on it.

For a budget minded commuter there is no beating ircs
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

OP: have you ever rode on anything other than stock? I noticed a world of difference when I went to the pirellis
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I am half tempted to go back to the IRCs for general riding since most of the time i am on interstate or highway or rural road with few curves (and the curves that are there are gentle). Not sure about getting 20k out of them but if i can at least go 10k before i kill the rear tire I would be happy. The Rosso's are lasting around 6K on the rear and 12k on the front.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Back of the envelope guess, you could likely double both of those mileages on the IRC's.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i like the bt45s

45 front irc rear would be a good combination

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #15
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i like the bt45s

45 front irc rear would be a good combination

Front back would last about the same also

(I hate myself)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #16
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I am unfortunately still using the stock front IRC until I have enough money for a Kenda to match my rear. I have 9k on the front and it still has plenty of tread, but like others have said it is like a damn Hockey puck! Scares the **** out of me before getting on freeway because I am always fearful of it giving out in corners. The 30-40 degree temps down here in Houston don't help either. I make sure to do a bunch of tight serpentines before getting on the freeway to try and warm that rock hard rubber up, but confidence is still shaky on these things. The Kenda rear I have was a noticable improvement the secon I had it put on and warms up well even in the cold weather. Is the Kenda a track tire? No, but definitly a mile above the IRC's and will last as long if not longer
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #17
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

I bought stock IRC'S just for commuting to school and around town.

$60 both new

Hoping for a good amount of miles to clock in

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #18
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
$60 both new
how the...

Old December 12th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
treat the roads like a track
Ha. I know that roads will NEVER be a track, I don't ride like that at all on roads.

Don't get so high and mighty though, we've all done it at some point. Because curves. and because sport bike.

Like I said, IRC's are meh. Not really great, but not the worst thing out there. Like squishy white bread, there's a time and a place for it, but I prefer something more exciting and am willing to pay for it.

Old December 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #20
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
The right tool for the right job.

Old December 12th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #21
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
The right tool for the right job.
The only job the Road Winners are good at is keeping the rim from getting scratched on the dealership floor and rolling the bike closer to the tire machine.

I kept mine a whole 400 miles and thought I deserved a medal for waiting that long.

FWIW, the OP would probably get insane miles on any tire, especially if he is willing to run it at whatever pressure and in ragged condition. I just tossed off a great cheap tire at 3500 miles cause of cupping. I could run it another 5k miles I'm sure, but it feels like crap and isn't safe.

On another note, you only know the best you have tried. I'm running Duro HF918s, $130 a pair, fr/rr shipped to my door and far better feel than the IRCs, which gave zero confidence on any surface, dry, wet, hot, whatever. I love cheap tires that work. If the IRCs did, I'd have used them for longer than a week!

Old December 12th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
(I hate myself)
<3

Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Old December 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #23
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Do as you say or stop riding?

Noooo!

Last futzed with by allanoue; December 12th, 2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: `

Old December 12th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

A good tire that lasts long is good for commuting and can take a little bit of aggressive cornering are the Michelins. I use to commute on the pilot powers and they lasted for ever.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #25
stubshaft
Rode with the Dinosaurs..

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

My last pair lasted 14,190. The roads down here are pathetic and freeway speeds average 35 with all of the construction going on. The ONLY consolation is the asphalt has a lava base which is very abrasive on cage tires but prolly helps the IRC's stick.
stubshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #26
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This fits into George Carlin's famous quote (paraphrased, at least) Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a moron.

If you're getting almost 20k miles out of any motorcycle tire for any reason, you are gentle on your tires. That means you aren't cornering to put any load on the tires, you aren't braking or accelerating quickly, and you are reaping the benefits in tire wear. There is a very large gulf between the way you are presumably using the bike (based on this wear), and using the road like a track. No judgement, and no recommendation that anyone needs to change however they enjoy their bikes. But IRC's just aren't great other than for the uses you've described.
Actually, I do tend to get pretty aggressive with these tires. More aggressive than should be done on the street. By and large, on the street, the limiting factor is not your grip, but rather your sight lines.

I just don't do that a lot. Like I said, the vast majority of my riding is commuting, mostly pretty easy, the only thing hard about it is the speed, if I kept it down to, say, 55, I'd probably get a lot more, but I'm not interested in doing that. But I do get aggressive in the corners often enough to know how well they hold.

I don't think everyone should stick with them, really, I don't judge if you exceed safe speeds on the roads. I just think it's absurd that some people think that they are good for nothing but rim protectors. I've accidentally done a stoppie on the front, and it held, and I've done corners, in the wet, on badly flattened tires, at a fair clip, and they held just fine. They may not inspire confidence for some people who are used to track tires, but they hold just fine.

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #27
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Road winners get pretty hot going at sportbike highway speed. Mmmmmm squishy white bread.

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #28
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

IRC rears are good for showing off. I pulled into a parking spot at used a whole lot of rear brake to slide it into the parking spot. With such long wear I'm sure I can do that at every group ride lol
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Actually, I do tend to get pretty aggressive with these tires.
It's all relative.

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Don't be mean Alex, he's given us nearly 20,000 examples of how aggressive his riding is. Clearly these tires are more than anyone could ever want on the street. Anything else is just a waste of money

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #31
old3
ninjette.org sage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fVvGRlFoE

Old December 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #32
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
This thread reminds me a lot when people say why I should get a 600cc or larger bike. I don't need it. Some people do and that is fine by me.

Old December 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #33
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Scary Stuff

Old December 17th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #34
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

IRC tires FTL!!

So I was riding some singletrack yesterday and there were a few patches of mud and water puddled up and the IRC had zero grip. Like what the hell. Front just washed out going in a straight line soon as it hit the puddle of mud and the rear quickly followed. I went down the second I felt the front get loose. Somehow only my knee hit the ground. No injuries, just a muddy leg and bike. Bike's left side was a little muddy and the right hand-guard got loose which also loosened my mirror. No biggie.

Oh and my rear IRC roadwinner is just about done with almost 9k on my KLX. Front has lots of life yet but I will be getting a new set of tires shortly. Don't know what kind yet.

For now I might stay away from the mud until I get more dirt worthy tires or maybe just a true dual sport.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Damn, only 9000?!? I thought it was supposed to get

Jono must ride really really fast on the street. Must be some kinda track star. But it's okay, because Tim isn't going to judge him. Since Tim has made it clear he won't judge, I'll judge instead. Jono, you ride recklessly. Stop that.

Old December 17th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #36
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:

My canyon videos beg to differ although I'm only using the rear
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #37
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
[ y ] A1fVvGRlFoE [ /y ]
Arrrrrgh... Silly YouTube [_] thingies were in the wrong spot... Almost had it... That's what it should look like, without spaces

Old December 17th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
My canyon videos beg to differ although I'm only using the rear
Jason, you could make any tire look good and go fast. Idk, my experience was just meh with them. Maybe it's because I had a front? idk. Likely I'll never get a chance to ride on them again. My buddy with the newgen moved. :/

Old December 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #39
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
(until I got home, mud is not the place for these tires anyway)
Truer words have never been said.

Quote:
Damn, only 9000?!? I thought it was supposed to get

Jono must ride really really fast on the street. Must be some kinda track star. But it's okay, because Tim isn't going to judge him. Since Tim has made it clear he won't judge, I'll judge instead. Jono, you ride recklessly. Stop that.

Of course I am reckless. I took my roadwinners through the mud. Only to end up in the mud. Haha. And to be honest my tires have had a hard life. A few short burn outs here and there. Hard accelerating and decelerating is a usual occurrence every time I get on the bike. And then riding on gravel has probably shortened the life of them as well.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #40
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Hate to be that guy but... IRC on the back.... And I was stuffing 600s in B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.1 KB, 5 views)
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote