ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:29 AM   #1
sakkakth
ninjette.org member

Name: cat

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250, K7 GSXR600

Armor question

How many of you replace the insert armor (not talking back protectors) in your suits to something higher rated than what comes from the factory? I was looking at the Forcefield Isolator 2 products and it's not that much $ to replace out the CE1 pieces for something that is CE2 and I assume it's also more comfortable due to its flexibility.

I've not crashed yet but in my head it seems to make sense for such a minor investment to add the extra protection. I'm curious as to what others do...

Thanks
sakkakth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
So far, my answer is "it depends."

My jacket didn't come with a back protector, so we put one in. I think the jacket also got new elbow armor. The knee armor in my riding jeans is decent, so I haven't replaced any of them yet.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:19 AM   #3
sakkakth
ninjette.org member

Thanks! I'm thinking more track specific applications if that makes any difference?

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:40 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Your question may be answered by reading the gear specific rules for the orgs you plan to ride with. For example; in my area "hard" back protectors are required for the I and A groups. Meaning the included "back pad" will not get you past tech to ride.

Aside of that, it is VERY common to upgrade your armor for track specific applications.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:01 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Chris, does it actually specify hard-shell protectors? There's armor out there that's CE-certified but not hard, e.g. Sas-Tec, D3O.

You could even make a case for stuff like Forcefield not being truly "hard shell"

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:17 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No, not specifically "hard shell" nor do we look for a rating or brand name either. We are mainly trying to get away from the lame, thin foam pads they put in suits claiming it to be armor. imho, that is a piece of padding filling in as a placeholder for true armor. It's a lot like a "cup check" before a sporting event. If we knock it and here a thunk sound, the normally passes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #7
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

I've upgraded all my gear to D3O. Track and street. My race suit has Level 2 everywhere but the knees (which has a Level 1 made for Rukka that covers the shin more). Your main issue is going to be fit. The armor pockets in suits are usually a bit less flexible than in street jackets and it's even more crucial that the armor is in the right place. If you're going to do it, be prepared to sew some velcro to make sure they stay where they belong.

Old September 17th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #8
sakkakth
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burphel View Post
I've upgraded all my gear to D3O. Track and street. My race suit has Level 2 everywhere but the knees (which has a Level 1 made for Rukka that covers the shin more). Your main issue is going to be fit. The armor pockets in suits are usually a bit less flexible than in street jackets and it's even more crucial that the armor is in the right place. If you're going to do it, be prepared to sew some velcro to make sure they stay where they belong.
Thanks I ended up replacing everything with the Forcefield Isolator 2 (except for the back since I had a good one already). Got it to work well with some heavy duty velcro. I like it a lot better than the more rigid inserts!

Old September 17th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #9
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
If it's not already something well rated and is removable, then yes I replace it. I personally like Forcefield armor.