Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Aldent
ninjette.org member

Name: Zavier

Motorcycle(s): -

Just realized I will have a problem transporting my first bike

Most of the prospective bike sellers I will be dealing with will be ~30-50 miles away. Anything closer is either a standard, harley, cruiser, dirt bike, or 600cc SS; which either don't interest me or scare the brown stuff out of me.

On to the real problem. I am currently living with a family member, working from home, and don't have a car to use to visit the seller. I have a scooter, but... yeah... Since I am going to be buying a 250 and those things get bought up like hot cakes, I am going to need a quick way to travel up to 50 miles and carry a motorcycle back with me.

Why carry it back with me and not ride it? 1) I don't yet have an endorsement. The local college that teaches the MSF course has stopped for this year in august. 2) Even if I did have an endorsement, I wouldn't want to ride a new-to-me bike, in unfamiliar territory, trying to remember what little I was taught.

I cannot rely on the family member I live with because she has a usual 9ish to 5ish job, and if I need to meet a seller quickly while she is still working I'm SOL. Also, her car is a company-owned car so I cannot legally drive it, nor can she tow anything, so no motorcycle trailer. Plus, and I REALLY apologize if this offends anyone, she isn't a very good driver.

I have an in-law I can call upon that has a truck that I am pretty sure a ninja can fit into. If not, he might have a suitable trailer. But, again, the typical 9-5 job, plus he is a farmer so an even tighter schedule.

My only thought so far on how to transport the bike would be to rent a u-haul truck and use that to drive down there and carry the bike back. Unfortunately that would be about $100 wasted if I didn't buy the bike.

Is there an option I am missing?
Aldent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Ride scooter to check out bike.
Make deal, sign paperwork, put down deposit if needed.
Go home on scooter.
Rent U-haul truck and come back next day.

Check out Home Depot for truck rentals. Enterprise has trucks and large vans that can haul bikes.

I have a trailer, but it's stored in back of garage and takes a while to shuffle things around to release it. So I always do the 1st check-out trip without trailer and come back on 2nd trip with trailer if I'm buying.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
(Edit: oops, JR beat me to it)

Yes.

Visit seller on your scooter.

Buy bike.

Get paperwork and key.

Go home.

The bike is now yours... just needs to be picked up.

Arrange for transport afterwards, when schedules can be coordinated. Any reasonable seller will be happy to park the bike while you get transport worked out. In the meantime, you can visit the DMV and get the title/registration/plate sorted out.

Your farmer relative sounds like the best option. Loading a truck (I assume a pickup) can be tricky... very high bed, steep ramps (you need ramps), etc. If he doesn't own a trailer and ramps, then a U-Haul motorcycle trailer (built-in ramp) can be rented for $15 per day.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If it's that close, I wouldn't worry about being able to take it right away if you want it. You can give the owner some amount to hold it for you while you make arrangements to pick it up. Just enough that they know you will be back, and get a receipt of some kind.

You still need some transportation to get there, and it may be a stretch on the scooter, but that's another issue that you need to work out.

If you decide to buy it, the cost to rent a U-Haul Cargo Van should be reasonable. Make sure you have a ramp and tiedowns. You could also talk to the seller and see if they have a way to deliver it for a reasonable cost.

Any friends that can go with you, and drive, to look at it?

Dang - I type too slow!
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Most sellers are aware of constraints on buyers due to work schedules, and should be able to meet with you at your convenience. You can't let yourself get caught up in "gotta get there fast before someone else gets it" thinking. Nice motorcycles will become available on the used market if you're patient, and if you don't have your motorcycle endorsement yet, you have no reason to be impatient.

It sounds like your best option is probably to ask your in-law when he might be able to help you pick up a motorcycle you're interested in, and work from there. Looking at it by scooter and leaving a deposit and getting a written receipt if you like the bike, and then going back with your in-law later that day or the next day would be reasonable. That way you can look at several if you need to, without wearing out your welcome with your in-law.

Funny all the replies within about 3 minutes while I was typing.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Looks like I was late to another party... Great advices

Old September 6th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Your farmer relative sounds like the best option. Loading a truck (I assume a pickup) can be tricky... very high bed, steep ramps (you need ramps), etc. If he doesn't own a trailer and ramps, then a U-Haul motorcycle trailer (built-in ramp) can be rented for $15 per day.
Yeah, this does look like best deal. The U-haul motorcycle trailer is really easy with low floor for safe loading. To make things even easier, you can arrange a flexible time for pick-up with seller if they have bike outside. Then you can swing by with farmer when it's convenient.

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Aldent
ninjette.org member

Making the trek with the scooter isn't really an option - its a cheapo chinese 50cc that I've heavily modified. Also, the battery is... crap. It would make it there and back, but I think there's minimum speeds on the back roads I'd be on. And running a 50 at WOT for probably close to 4 hours round-trip is irksome to say the least.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the fast and friendly replies. I think I'm just getting my self worked up about this whole thing. I always tend to try and make the situation as bad as I possibly can in my head. Same thing happened when I got my scooter delivered - it came via an 18-wheeler... delivered to a residential address. I thought they were going to call me and tell me I would have to pick it up at the airport or something. Nope, Those crafty big rig drivers had no problem maneuvering through our little side-street with cars parked on both sides.

Old September 6th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Hmm, maybe step back a little and re-arrange order of operations. I say:

1. get motorcycle endorsement

2. get in lots of parking-lot practice with scooter: tight-circles, figure-8s, fast braking, etc.

3. take your time and find good deal on bike. Mechanic's specials can be had for 1/4 to 1/5th of KBB prices

4. get ride to seller or take bus

5. ride bike back!

My first bike, I bought without ever having ridden street-bike before (learned on dirt-bikes). Just gotten my learner's-permit for auto. Bought bike, stalled and dropped it going up guy's super-steep driveway (street-bikes are #$@^ HEAVY). After I got out of driveway, it was piece of cake!

Old September 6th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Aldent
ninjette.org member

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are right. Unless all the pieces fall into place, I'll have to wait until sometime in spring next year when the safety courses are being taught to buy a bike. At least that give me all of winter to save up more money for a better bike and/or gear!

I've had the scooter for... wow over 6 years now. I'm pretty confident in my maneuvering capabilities, though I've never ridden a true motorcycle. And I'm over 25 so I have a good amount of driving/traffic experience. Plus the quote for annual insurance for a 250 for me is only about $245.

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Where in the US do you live?

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Aldent
ninjette.org member

MI

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Strange that they've quit giving courses for the year already. Maybe there just aren't enough people that sign up this late in the year.

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Aldent
ninjette.org member

I guess so. I emailed the college to make sure I'm not just having a problem viewing an old version of their website or something.

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #15
DannoXYZ

Funding cuts...

Old September 6th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldent View Post
At least that give me all of winter to save up more money for a better bike and/or gear!
DELETE "better bike and/or."

Invest in gear.

GOOD gear. ALL the gear.

The cost of injury/hospitalization will make you lose your lunch. Do some research.

While you're at it, do a Google image search on "motorcycle road rash."

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...w=1399&bih=774

Warning. Graphic.

More info in my blog posts.

Think this through.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Funding cuts...
I haven't read their annual report, but it's hard to imagine the basic rider courses aren't self sufficient as long as they get good turnout. Around here they charge over $200 per person.

Old September 6th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #18
DannoXYZ

Budgets aren't isolated islands though. Various sources of funding and monies come in and are pooled for various projects and courses. Then that pool divvied up amongst courses. Not sure how decisions are made, but when total pool amount decreases, some courses are axed from list. It may be too labour-intensive to analyse each and every course to determine whether it's fully self-supported.

At UCSB, I recall club-sports and NCAA sports had different budgets. Due to cut-backs, they looked at easiest to drop item that had largest costs. That way, only single sport was cut. Turned out to be football team!!!

Old September 7th, 2017, 04:58 AM   #19
BeeLDub
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are right. Unless all the pieces fall into place, I'll have to wait until sometime in spring next year when the safety courses are being taught to buy a bike. At least that give me all of winter to save up more money for a better bike and/or gear!

I've had the scooter for... wow over 6 years now. I'm pretty confident in my maneuvering capabilities, though I've never ridden a true motorcycle. And I'm over 25 so I have a good amount of driving/traffic experience. Plus the quote for annual insurance for a 250 for me is only about $245.
Damn... Minimum in PA for me (24 years old, less than a year's experience, and 1 traffic infraction) was only $79/year. I increased a few things and am now paying $89.
BeeLDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #20
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
there is no reason to have a course after august in MI. there wouldnt be enough people.

the classes in the spring sell out in the winter.

Depending on where you are, Biker bobs does the class all the time, you just have to pay more than the $30 that you would for the state MSF class.

Where in MI?

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #21
Aldent
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
there is no reason to have a course after august in MI. there wouldnt be enough people.

the classes in the spring sell out in the winter.

Depending on where you are, Biker bobs does the class all the time, you just have to pay more than the $30 that you would for the state MSF class.

Where in MI?
Can I PM you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLDub View Post
Damn... Minimum in PA for me (24 years old, less than a year's experience, and 1 traffic infraction) was only $79/year. I increased a few things and am now paying $89.
In MI there's a mandatory MCCA fee of $170. Without that, my quote would be around $36/year.

I am quoting a pdf I found on michigan.gov,

"Michigan is the only state that offers unlimited personal injury protection benefits. These benefits are offered through no-fault auto insurance policies. The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA) reimburses no-fault auto insurers for amounts paid in excess of $555,000 per claim.

Your auto insurer is responsible for, and pays, the MCCA assessment. However, the cost is often passed on to policyholders."

So it's a double-edged sword here; no fault insurance, but it's mandatory and will cost ya.

On another note, I got a reply from the college I emailed, they confirmed they stopped the MSF course for the year and will resume next year in May.

Old September 7th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #22
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Can I PM you?
Sure

Quote:

In MI there's a mandatory MCCA fee of $170. Without that, my quote would be around $36/year
For each vehicle. I pay that for 4 bikes and 4 cars. The cars are every 6 months. Ugh

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Strange that they've quit giving courses for the year already. Maybe there just aren't enough people that sign up this late in the year.
I think back to buying my first bike. I bought a Honda Super 90. The town I lived in had no freakin' PMS DMS PDQ or whatever motorcycle training courses. The town was about 5,500 people. Your dad taught you to drive a car and really, no one can teach you to drive a motorcycle all they can do is give you pointers and suggestions. Start it, let out the clutch and you're on your own. Have we really turned into such a pathetic bunch of quivering sacks of protoplasm that we have to take a training course? You're not learning to fly a twin engine private aircraft. If you can drive a car and a scooter you can drive a motorcycle.

I rented a 20' van bodied Penskie truck to get my Ninja home. A 12' tuck would have been fine but they didn't have one. The motorcycle trailer sounds like a good ides but I didn't have a trailer hitch. Getting the bike on the truck was no problem as there were three guys there at the purchase point. Getting it off the truck by myself was a-little nerve wracking. I laid an extension ladder parallel to the trucks ramp and covered the ladder with plywood and walked the bike down the ramp (I had no one to help me). I spent $260.00 for the truck. My initial visit to view the bike was by car and $100.00 held the bike until I got back with the truck the next day.

Could you borrow your friends truck? Offer him $200.00. It would be cheaper than a truck rental. A pickup truck is a viable option but you want to make sure you have pick points in the truck bed to attach tie downs.

Don't wait till spring, now is the best time of year to buy a bike if selling price is a major consideration.

Bill

Old September 8th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #24
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I think back to buying my first bike. I bought a Honda Super 90. The town I lived in had no freakin' PMS DMS PDQ or whatever motorcycle training courses. The town was about 5,500 people. Your dad taught you to drive a car and really, no one can teach you to drive a motorcycle all they can do is give you pointers and suggestions. Start it, let out the clutch and you're on your own. Have we really turned into such a pathetic bunch of quivering sacks of protoplasm that we have to take a training course? You're not learning to fly a twin engine private aircraft. If you can drive a car and a scooter you can drive a motorcycle.

(SNIP)
Bill
I am a self-taught rider as well (in the '70s), but riding today is more intense than it was back then. More traffic and less attentive drivers.

I had 4 years of dirt riding before getting my cycle license at 16, and that helped a lot. Starting on the street from scratch without any previous cycle experience is a recipe for disaster. There's no time to learn the basics of riding on the street.

My 2 boys have been riding since they were 4, but were still required (by the state) to take the MSF basic course before getting their license because they were under 18. I'm fine with that.

I don't think driving a car and riding a cycle take the same amount of skill, so just because you have driving experience doesn't mean you can ride a cycle proficiently. I made my boys go 1 full year without incident in a car before they were allowed to get their cycle license.

Ticked them off, but I still think it was a good idea.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Nobody says you have to take a training course.

That doesn't make it a bad idea.

The Darwinian sink-or-swim approach works only if you survive the learning process. Are you more capable if you do? Arguably no... you might have learned some bad habits because you blew off the training that would have taught you the right ones.

Basic training is a resource that teaches you skills, instills a safety mindset and greatly reduces risk in those early days when the rider is most likely to have an accident.

So why not take advantage of it, other than "In my day we didn't need no stinkin' training... man up and grow a pair" ? It's a smart investment of time, and a little bit of money.

IMHO preparation and education beats winging it every time. That's why I go to the track. It's not to go fast. Hell, I can go fast on the street and take the risk. It's to learn, practice and become a better, safer rider. To take advantage of the training.

Old September 8th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #26
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Have we really turned into such a pathetic bunch of quivering sacks of protoplasm that we have to take a training course? You're not learning to fly a twin engine private aircraft. If you can drive a car and a scooter you can drive a motorcycle.
I taught my then 21 year old daughter to ride on my Yamaha DT100. We rode around our subdivision a couple hours total, and ten or twenty miles on the back roads. I tried to get all the safety principles across that I could. Then I paid about $200 for her to take the MSF course. Shortly after that, we were riding together, with her on the recently acquired Ninja 250. I was following her, and we came to a medium sharp right sweeper at 55 mph. A dump truck appeared coming the other way, and it passed my daughter approximately at the apex of the curve. I was happy and relieved to see that she stayed in the middle of her lane and showed no evidence of being spooked by the truck. When I mentioned it later, she said that in the course, she had learned to look where she wanted to go, so she kept here eyes on the middle of the lane and stayed there.

I had told her about target fixation and looking where she wanted to go, but there was something about being in a class with other students and several teachers, and the way they taught the material and tested the students, that made her remember it from the class when the truck appeared. Some similar things have come up in the years since that confirm that I didn't waste my money. I don't believe that everyone has to take the course to be a safe rider, but I think there's enough good material taught that it can't hurt, and will probably help anyone who takes it.

Old September 8th, 2017, 07:24 AM   #27
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I am a self-taught rider as well (in the '70s), but riding today is more intense than it was back then. More traffic and less attentive drivers.

I had 4 years of dirt riding before getting my cycle license at 16, and that helped a lot. Starting on the street from scratch without any previous cycle experience is a recipe for disaster. There's no time to learn the basics of riding on the street.

My 2 boys have been riding since they were 4, but were still required (by the state) to take the MSF basic course before getting their license because they were under 18. I'm fine with that.

I don't think driving a car and riding a cycle take the same amount of skill, so just because you have driving experience doesn't mean you can ride a cycle proficiently. I made my boys go 1 full year without incident in a car before they were allowed to get their cycle license.

Ticked them off, but I still think it was a good idea.
I'm not putting down MSF courses. For some folks absolutely! But I'm pig headed. Wouldn't - won't wear a bicycle helmet. Didn't - wouldn't take a driver's ed course in high school. I have to admit that I learned to ride a motorcycle in a very rural area with lots of open country roads and little traffic. My home town two had two traffic lights on Main Street. And yes, things are different than they were in 1967. Hell, today the average driver doesn't know hand signal in lieu of turn signals. I also had different parents. I used to take my dad's 19' Chris Craft out by myself at the ripe old age of 13. I would run it, drive it back into the boat lift and haul it up out of the water. Today kids jump from Game Boys and Nintendo to their first motorcycle. At 15 I could hot wire a car and take it for a joy ride - and I did.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bill

Old September 8th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #28
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

Answering the original question, I rent a pick-up from the local Lowes. They offer unlimited mileage, and cap out at $90 / day rental fee. You still need a set of ramps though.

I have done this several times now, and with fuel and about 3 hours total time rented, average around a $50 outlay to collect my MCs. U-Haul charges a rental fee PLUS mileage.

Old September 8th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #29
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I won't say I "needed" the training course, but I did learn a lot, and am glad I did. My initial motivation was the skills waiver so I didn't have to take the driving test at the DMV, and in that I succeeded, but I was pleased to learn a lot about defensive driving, among other things. (and I started out being a very defensive driver)

It helped ease the learning curve when I went on the roads, too. I could pay attention to traffic and lane positioning and whatnot instead of just controlling the bike. So while I agree they're not strictly necessary, and we don't "need" them, I found it very helpful and recommend them often. Especially for people who are afraid of motorcycles. It gives them a safe space to try it out and get used to the idea.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #30
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I won't say I "needed" the training course, but I did learn a lot, and am glad I did. My initial motivation was the skills waiver so I didn't have to take the driving test at the DMV, and in that I succeeded, but I was pleased to learn a lot about defensive driving, among other things. (and I started out being a very defensive driver)

It helped ease the learning curve when I went on the roads, too. I could pay attention to traffic and lane positioning and whatnot instead of just controlling the bike. So while I agree they're not strictly necessary, and we don't "need" them, I found it very helpful and recommend them often. Especially for people who are afraid of motorcycles. It gives them a safe space to try it out and get used to the idea.
I'm happy you had the option. In 1967 you didn't.

Bill

Old September 9th, 2017, 06:08 AM   #31
dz0
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninjette 2006 FZ6

1- I just bought a Ninjette by driving my car, and paying for the bike. At a later time I had someone bring me back to pickup the bike. If you are riding a scooter on the street, you will be able to safely get the bike home. You have all the skills except perhaps shifting - but you will figure that out fast. Don't make this into much more than it is. Get the bike home and then practice - then take the MSF course when you can.

2 - As far as the MSF course - I was riding street for 5 or 6 years before I took the intro course and I found it useful for a few good tips. I started riding street mostly because I was forced to. I needed to get a second set of wheels but had no money - so I bought an old bike for a few hundred bucks that needed minor electrical work. I did the work and had a bike to ride that enabled me to get to work every day. I did have dirt riding experience prior to street, but it's quite a different experience IMHO. I rarely lock up the rear wheel to make corners on the street.
dz0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #32
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Uhaul is a little pricey but it'll work. Also if you have a Menards they rent pick up trucks for cheap. And don't skip the MSC no matter what anyone says. It's the right thing to do and prepares you well for riding.

Occasionally you can throw some extra money at the seller and they'll haul the bike to you.

Old September 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM   #33
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
As a bike seller I've ridden a bike to the buyers home.

I've also trailered a bike to a buyers home (they paid my full asking price for the bike without trying to talk me down, had just received their license the day before, it was getting dark and thunderstorms were rolling in, they only had a tinted face shield on their helmet, and they had their wife and 3 young kids in the minivan. My wife and daughter looked at me and were "no you are not letting him ride that home")

There are also bike transport companies, usually some local guys with a trailer. Contact them and see what they charge, call them before you go to look at the bike to see if they are available to transport.

Anything is negotiable. When you make contact with the seller ask if there is anyway they can deliver the bike to you.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #34
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
As a bike seller I've ridden a bike to the buyers home.

I've also trailered a bike to a buyers home (they paid my full asking price for the bike without trying to talk me down, had just received their license the day before, it was getting dark and thunderstorms were rolling in, they only had a tinted face shield on their helmet, and they had their wife and 3 young kids in the minivan. My wife and daughter looked at me and were "no you are not letting him ride that home")

There are also bike transport companies, usually some local guys with a trailer. Contact them and see what they charge, call them before you go to look at the bike to see if they are available to transport.

Anything is negotiable. When you make contact with the seller ask if there is anyway they can deliver the bike to you.
Well said

Old September 12th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #35
DannoXYZ

When I bought my CBR600RR, I got the seller to deliver from Inland Empire to Santa Barbara for case of beer!!! Well, he was on his way to Laguna Seca that weekend anyway...

Old September 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #36
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
When I bought my CBR600RR, I got the seller to deliver from Inland Empire to Santa Barbara for case of beer!!! Well, he was on his way to Laguna Seca that weekend anyway...
JR, you could fall into a pile of **** and come out smelling like a rose. I would have given my seller a keg of beer and a bag of chips if he would have delivered.

Bill

Old September 29th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #37
sh123469
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): EX250, Suzuki Savage, 76 Goldwing restoration project, 71 CB350, 73 Yamaha GT1,

I have to agree with what's been said. Buy the bike. Get key and paperwork. Arrange with seller to pick up next day. Go to DMV and get everything done the next morning.

Get someone to take you to get the bike. Arrive and install tag. Take off for home.

And, over $200 per year for minimal bike insurance...Yikes!!!
I pay $50 per year. I was the first person in my county to pass the DMV road test on a chopper. But, I've had my license for 38 years now (there was no such thing as a course back then) and no accidents. My son has his permit now and will be taking the MSF course. He won't have to take the DMV test if he passes the MSF course. He'll get an insurance discount. He'll pay more attention to someone else teaching him in a class environment than he will me.

Take the course when you can. You'll be glad you did.
sh123469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:12 AM   #38
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Thinking back about it some more. I've bought a bike, paid the money, took the title and keys, but left the bike around behind the sellers house, then drove my car home, jumped in my truck and driven back to pick up the bike.

Also not sure about MI, but here in VA you can get a temporary (IIRC 3 day) transport tag on line for $7. When I bought my Sportster I really liked what I saw on line and from talking to the seller. I got the VIN number from him before I went to look at the bike (allowed me to run a report on it first too), paid the $7 for the transport tag, went and looked at the bike with my daughter along, handed the man my cash, went on line on my phone to add the bike to my insurance policy and rode home completely legal while my daughter followed me in the car.

Anyhow @Aldent how is the bike search going?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote