Notices

Old March 25th, 2018, 07:32 AM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
F1

Looks like a run away year for Ferrari. They have won every race so far. I think HAAS Ferrari needs to be thanked generously.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old March 25th, 2018, 08:21 AM   #2
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
And the new passing rules in the pits are great! New tactics. Gotta keep the crowd entertained.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 25th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I haven't been interested in F1 since they got rid of turbos back in 1989. Did a token trip to Montreal in 2007 to watch the rain rasce. May get back into it now. Simply amazing technologies!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2018, 05:14 AM   #4
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I had kind of lost interest in Formula One since the James Hunt era (when you still drink, get high, and have sex in the pits before a race) but with the new "pit pass" I'm all for cheating to win. Anything to keep Ferrari from leaving works for me.

I also don't like the fact that a Mercedes is the safety car. I believe a safety car should be from a neutral manufacturer. A 1959 Caddy would steal the show.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 26th, 2018, 09:50 AM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You mean back when tires were skinny and tires were fat?

CC, do you have an Amazon Prime Video account? You might like this show. I just watched it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/

Old March 26th, 2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You mean back when tires were skinny and tires were fat?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2018, 03:10 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Drivers fat???@#$!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2018, 05:02 PM   #8
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I don't suppose that any of you fine folks have a racingf.orme tracker invite? The only way for me to watch motoGP or F1 is by paying 27/mo for a sports entertainment package which is primarily soccer and things that I wouldn't watch.

Old March 26th, 2018, 07:02 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Scatter brain

Drivers were fat. herpa derpa

Old March 29th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I don't suppose that any of you fine folks have a racingf.orme tracker invite? The only way for me to watch motoGP or F1 is by paying 27/mo for a sports entertainment package which is primarily soccer and things that I wouldn't watch.
No extra invites at the moment, my upload/download ratio isn't where it needs to be yet. I just donated a bit to get it more even, and have set up RSS feeds for the areas I care about, which should hopefully start flipping those ratios over time.

I will say that I'm hesitant to share any invites going forward. For every single invite I've given out, nobody makes much effort to keep their ratios close, and downloads way more than uploads (i.e. jumps on to download the files, and doesn't stick around to continue seeding). That is generally frowned upon, and is held against the both the inviter and the invitee. I'd only consider sharing in the future for folks who get how it is supposed to work and I can trust to do the right thing.

In the meantime - looks like SlingTV is now offering BEIN directly over their streaming service, might be a good option for cord-cutters:

https://www.reddit.com/r/motogp/comm...o_bein_sports/

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 29th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The halo SUCKS. No. More than that. It sucks AND blows AT THE SAME TIME.

The pointy end of the grid will be the usual suspects and produce telenovela-style drama but little interesting racing. Red Bull might do a bit better this year, but expect Lewis to pretty much run away with it. Vettel will do his utmost to be the next guy to 5 championships, but the Evil Empire will prevail. Kimi will, as usual, not do as well as we all want him to.

The midfield will be where the really entertaining battles will happen. Haas looks awesome and Alonso finally has a decent car under him, thank God. And maybe Hulkenberg will FINALLY get the result he so richly deserves after all these years. I'm calling Mclaren 4th, Renault 5th and Haas 6th at the end of the season, but it's going to be REALLY close.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with STR. Honda's lack of reliability has already struck. I think the dual-rookie lineup is going to hurt them a lot. Call it a development year for that team.

Force India, having been forced to build a new chassis out of cycle for the Halo, will have trouble getting out of its own way all season. They did extraordinarily well last year, but it's not going to happen again this time.

Williams is just having a disastrous time. Stroll never really struck me as the real deal, but Sirotkin might be interesting. Turns out he's an actual race engineer (with a degree), as was Rosberg. He might be able to to a lot to help develop that car.

And then there's Alfber. Well, someone has to bring up the rear.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The halo SUCKS. No. More than that. It sucks AND blows AT THE SAME TIME.
Why? Camera views seem fine, drivers aren't complaining (loudly, at least), and it's not terribly ugly - at least in comparison to some of the wonky body modifications I remember from 2 or 3 years back due to late rule changes.

I wonder how protective it will be for the wide variety of low-likelihood but huge-consequence type things can befall an open-wheel driver going the speeds they are, but best case is we won't have to find out for a long time.

Old March 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

In between the high cockpit side bolsters, halo hoop and strut and the mirrors, it's almost impossible to see the driver outside of one or two specific angles. Might as well just make the damned thing a closed cockpit and be done with it.

We should be asking what the point of open cockpits actually is. They're not safer. They're not better aerodynamically. They don't make the car faster or easier to drive in any way. Arguably they are there so we can see the drivers. So if, in the name of safety, we add so much structure that we can't really see the drivers anymore, then WHY the hell are we keeping the cockpits open?

A closed cockpit would please the aerodynamicists no end, and they could make it as bloody strong as they like so it would be SAFER than the halo.

And in the process, we'd lose one of the things that makes F1 awesome to watch. But we're already most of the way there anyway.

This is the tail wagging the dog.

They've increased the maximum driver cockpit escape time requirement from five to ten seconds, presumably by magically changing the physics of fire propagation.

They've claimed that it would have kept that spring that almost punched a hole in Massa's skull from doing so, which is just crazy... the halo hoop could easily deflect something that would otherwise go over or past the driver's head down INTO the cockpit.

And they've freely admitted it would not have saved Jules Bianchi.

They gave lip service to a windshield with a single, brief test at Silverstone, then abandoned it with no further development.

Meanwhile, Indycar is doing it right, taking their time, thoroughly engineering a solution, and the result so far looks MUCH MUCH better.

Old March 29th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, I'm not sure the IndyCar windscreen will stay clean safely during issues on the track. I bet we see all kinds of extra pit stops and tactical gambles when it comes to tear offs and convenient surprise times for fuel and tire changes... It might make for good racing, but I don't like the whole premise of it. Idk, maybe I'm being picky. I'll still watch and enjoy it for what it is though. YMMV

Old March 29th, 2018, 08:42 PM   #15
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

I thought that they just got a giant new sponsorship deal with a flip flop (thong sandal) company. Hopefully ESPN coverage will improve a lot. NBC had horrible timing going to commercial.

MotoGP started off pretty good.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #16
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
MotoGP started off pretty good.
Yeah it did, Marquez in the second to last corner going for the inside line.

Old April 20th, 2018, 07:58 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

China was AWESOME.

If you didn't see FP3 and quali, you really missed out. Ricciardo's turbo blew in FP3 (kerblammo). Evidently that's not a part that triggers a grid penalty.

The Red Bull mechanics pulled out the stops and did a full engine swap, beating their own record by a full hour. The days of being able to just bolt a new back end onto the car are long gone... it's a horribly complex process in the current era. They had to scavenge parts off of the engine they were using that morning to make it happen.

But they did... and got Daniel out in Q1 with only two minutes to spare. One flying lap. He wound up starting in P6.

I won't spoil the race but it was a real nail-biter in the last half. Some truly epic driving and totally legit (non-DRS) passing that'll make your hair stand on end.

Best race I've seen in a long while.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.