ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 5th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Joppedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

25k mile mark

First post in years. Im just about to hit the 25k mile mark on my little 250 purchaced this new at the dealer and drove it home like i stole it to break it in 150 miles. Now last week i got a ticking noise so took it for a valve check. Now at 25k miles my valve clearance has never moved zero nodda. Turned out the CCT needed to be greased . Only wear in my motor that can be seen is slight marks on the cam spockets from chain wear. Im anal about oil changes. Every 1000 to 1500 miles i change my oil and been using lucas 10/30 full syn. While it was in there had them change the fork oil and still came out slightly red so perfect. Im on my third front sprocket and original rear. and 2nd chain and using a dids xring. Ive tryed 4 different high ends tires since i ride all year snow rain and heat here in arizona. This is the only bike i have now and its been the most fun to ride. I go out with people riding the harleys to the litre bike and in these hills they are going no where any faster than me, and in most cases they cant keep up in the twisty. Im in my upper 40's now and i just cant give up the fun these little bike give us. I say if you need more power than a 250 then you just cant ride it right. I had to share this as i am pleased to death with how well this bike puts up with the abuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0205170950.jpg (158.8 KB, 15 views)
Joppedo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 5th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome! You lurker you...

Gratz on the milestone.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppedo View Post
I say if you need more power than a 250 then you just cant ride it right.
I agree with this, and I have a hot rodded 1972 H2. High power can be fun, but you don't need it to have a total blast, and in some good twisties, lots of power is not helpful at all.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:35 PM   #4
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Nice! I have a black ninja as well. My bike is about 18k, I had the valves checked for the clearance and it's still within spec. These little 1/4 liter bikes are bullet proof.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:54 PM   #5
motoman
ninjette.org member

Name: derrick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 ninja

I,m in the 40 club too there fun no matter what age
motoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:22 PM   #6
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

^^ A nice thing about the ninja 250. They aren't powerful enough to wear out chains and sprockets rapidly.

I found a noticeable performance increase from switching to a non-o-ring chain. The maintenance is a little more frequent but if you're doing the oil every 1-1500 miles it's not much work to clean and lube the chain more often as well.

For tires -- I recommend the mitas/sava. They are made in slovenia and are really sticky. I've tried all the various tires on the market and the savas get my vote, hands down. I'm on my 6th set with numerous bikes all running the same tyre. "Motorace" on ebay and the seller is "dave."

I'm not in the 40+ club but at 35k miles the 250 is still running strongly.

Old February 24th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #7
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Good on ya. Can't disagree that getting the most from a small engine is great fun & good training for any other bike. I rode mine to work the other day which was the first good day we have had this year & then took my BMW out as I needed to carry some gear & after the tautness of the bike it was like driving a wheel barrow It took 20 minutes before it felt normal.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 05:16 AM   #8
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

Awesome to hear that. My bike should've been at around 17k now if I still had it.
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #9
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I hit 35k a few days ago.

Old March 19th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Joppedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Thanks all. Its been fun just to get out and ride. Did 500 miles over this last weekend. Rode to phx. and have a cop friend I ride with so we did the man thing while the wife and kids did the pool thing. Never gets old.
Joppedo is offline   Reply With Quote