ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Newbe Question - Does the newer Ninjas (or any bikes) have OBDII connectivity?

Do any newer bikes support OBDII connectivity to their EPU like cars?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm pretty sure there are diagnostic ports on some motorcycles, but I'm not so sure there is a set standard. Mine's carbureted, so someone who's fuel injected could better answer your question.

Also, I'm curious @choneofakind did your Ecotrons fuel injected kit have some kind of diagnostic system?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Elongo06
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Pearl Stardust White

There is a Diagnostic port under the pillion(seat) on Ninja 300's. I haven't messed with mine though.
Elongo06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elongo06 View Post
There is a Diagnostic port under the pillion(seat) on Ninja 300's. I haven't messed with mine though.
Does anyone know what protocol or standard this port is based on? Meaning, is it OBDII compatible?

Thanks
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No, there is no standard for motorcycle diagnostic ports like OBD for cars. Would be nice if it got there at some point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #6
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

The diagnostic port on all of my motorcycles is the same form-factor. It is always round, near the back of the bike, and it's the same hole that loud noises come out of while riding.

To interface with the diagnostic port, I typically position my nose within ten inches of the port and inhale.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
No, there is no standard for motorcycle diagnostic ports like OBD for cars. Would be nice if it got there at some point.
That is true, but the TLR has a 6 pin plug under the seat, if you get an FI light, you can just put a wire jumper between pins 1 and 2 and it will go into FI mode. It will display the error codes and you can find out what sensor, fuel injector, or other monitored condition is out of spec.

and that was on a 2003 bike... got to be some self diagnostic machines out there today.

Old March 7th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Most modern FI bikes have some sort of diag port, and some type of electronic access, yes. Cars had similar things in the years before OBD as well. What makes OBD standards interesting is just that, standards. Same port, same protocols, etc. For bikes you need manufacturer-specific gadgets.

Car manufacturers didn't just decide to standardize, they were required to in order to sell cars in the US. Would likely have to be similar regulations to move motorcycles in the same direction. With the market as small as it is comparatively, it doesn't seem likely to be a priority of any legislator.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #9
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
it is comparatively, it doesn't seem likely to be a priority of any legislator.
you got to get a legislator with a brother in law in the molded plastic plug housing manufacture industry.

then he writes legislation that requires the use of his BIL's plug and volia' instant zillionare.

Old March 9th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #10
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

OBD is mandatory for new bikes in EU from Jan 1st 2017, I suppose also with a standard for the connector.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #11
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Manufacturers can make more if they sell machines with proprietary interface units.

Having a standardized connector and interface protocols would put a lot of performance shops out of business because the lowest bidders would quickly develop/sell/inundate the market with tech required to interface with a wide range of models.

I also think it would be terrible for the actual machines because suddenly any un-qualified idiot could afford the [cheap] tech to interface with the machine and do things to it's various mechanisms that they don't understand enough about. I'm referring to engine tuning and that changes of that nature.

Keeping a standardized plug and interface protocols from becoming mainstream would be in the best interest of the manufacturers for the purpose of selling more products.

If you need proof of this, look at the development of OBD over the years. OBD1 simply flashed trouble codes, stored after a problem occurred. It took a degree of skill to read the codes and diagnose the problem. That kept mechanics employed.

With the advent of OBDII and cheap [widely available] scan tools, anyone could afford the tool for their particular car and that enabled any end-user to get waaaay over their head in terms of performing certain mechanical tasks. Some degree of skill is required to replace sensors, rewire things, or change out mechanical parts as needed.

Many modern cars trigger numerous SRS/ABS/PCM/ECU codes at the slightest sign of a hiccup within the diagnostic circuitry. Because the diagnosis tools are so widely available, any car owner without mechanical expertise suddenly feels empowered to undertake massive mechanical projects without proper training or experience.

Youtube has played a massive part in this because it enables anyone to feel competent enough to undertake things which should otherwise be left to a qualified mechanic.

There's a big difference between an enthusiastic idiot with tools and a qualified technician.

Need proof? Look at the picture ^^^^^

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Much truth in this. I have direct experience from troubleshooting a misfire in my car. The code is only part of the information you need to fix something. Plus, for some reason people seem to be allergic to dropping a few bucks on the factory maintenance manual.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote