ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #1
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
12 Surprising Motorcycle Statistics

Interesting observations and statistics about our industry -

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...floor-you.aspx

This totally supports my anecdotal observations about the attendees at cycle gatherings in my area. Mostly older riders on Harleys...

I've got 2 boys that ride, ages 17 and 20, but not many of their friends or students at their schools do. Kids today just don't seem to be as interested in that stuff as we were at that age.

That doesn't bode well for the motorcycle industry in the future.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 6th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #2
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Has to do with the pusification of society. Kids are raised today to be soft, and to avoid dangerous things at all costs. Motorcycles are viewed overall by people as too dangerous to be involved with, and the people who ride them as bring crazy, non-desirable type people. It has definately been having a negative effect on the motorcycle industry as a whole here in this country, because there just simply aren't as many riders as there were 10-15 years ago. By all accounts, In the future there will be even less, as people move even further into the "safety at all costs" mindset. Raising their kids to feel the same.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Interesting data

Newbies of Ninjette.com are precious !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk834 View Post
Has to do with the pusification of society. Kids are raised today to be soft, and to avoid dangerous things at all costs. Motorcycles are viewed overall by people as too dangerous to be involved with, and the people who ride them as bring crazy, non-desirable type people. It has definately been having a negative effect on the motorcycle industry as a whole here in this country, because there just simply aren't as many riders as there were 10-15 years ago. By all accounts, In the future there will be even less, as people move even further into the "safety at all costs" mindset. Raising their kids to feel the same.
I see Honda leading that trend. They are the first to add-in automotive technology to cycles, in an attempt to make them safer and more appealing to new riders. At the same time removing the need for any real skills to operate a cycle "proficiently or "safely".

I guess they are doing everyone a favor with linked braking, airbags, automatic transmissions, reclined seating, low-revving fuel-efficient engines, automatic balancing, and automatic emergency braking.

I'm just not on-board with all that, but it may be the only way to get new riders interested in riding and buying cycles eventually.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I see a lot of the problem of getting kids started in motorcycling is the lack of rural families, the kids need a place to learn (and love) motorcycling. Can urban kids learn to ride?, sure you bet, but it takes a lot more devotion from the parents. Have to load the bikes (almost certainly dirt bikes) and go to a place that welcomes the riders, not easy now days as people want they're peace and quite. When my kids were learning, (we lived on a farm) their biggest problem was having enough gas, and they got pretty good at siphoning , they didn't need much supervision, just a constant reminder to stay off the road. If there is no place with easy access to off road riding, the kids just don't get much seat time, and I can't imagine how tough it would be teaching kids on the street!

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
At the end of the article, they mentioned a stock. If it isn't HOG, what is it?

Old March 7th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #7
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
But, there is a nice balance between being boring and being reckless. I practice safety and all that other crap and make a big deal of it when talking to anyone who's interested and asking questions about riding.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Not all that surprising from my end, it seemed to focus heavily on Harley. Even in the article it stated that while harley's sales were down other manufacturers like victory were reporting rapid growth (increase of 20% sales)

That said I have noticed that there are very few riders that I know that are my age or younger. I have mentored a few riders at my school in passing, just to make sure they're aware of the importance of safety gear and such while providing a path to a racetrack to help them understand where speed actually belongs.

In addition to that I have noticed across the past few years many comments about me being insane, I brush them off as them not understanding what riding is all about but it is important to note that that viewpoint is a deterrent for newer riders. The true insanity these days is the overzealous focus on safety at all costs, to a point where it prevents personal growth as risk taking is one of the primary traits of successful people, particularly entrepreneurs, as well as happy people.

Motorcycling is like any other activity, done responsibly things can still go wrong but if you are responsible and mature about it it is a very rewarding activity. Responsibly being understanding the importance of safety gear as well as there being a time and place for certain riding activities such as hauling ass or wheelies. The time is not always and the place is not everywhere.

Old March 7th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
......The true insanity these days is the overzealous focus on safety at all costs, to a point where it prevents personal growth......
"When the mind is secure it is in decay." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'll take death on a bike over in a rocking chair anyday

Old March 7th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #11
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

If you aren't a little bit afraid, you ain't doin' it right

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
^that... Nobody makes it out alive anyway; may as well have fun and make it worth it!

Old March 9th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
"Pusification"

Not my kids! 7 year old boy races DRZ 70, and BMX, rides a mountain bike at Whistler bike park, is an accomplished skier and snowboarder + Takes karate and Ju-Jitsu, also skateboards.

My 5 year old girl races BMX, rides a mountain bike, will learn to ride a PW 50 this summer, is a high orange belt in Karate/kickboxing, also takes jujitsu and skis like a boss. She says when she grows up she wants to be STRONG.

No bubble wrap in my home.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #14
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
"Pusification"
No bubble wrap in my home.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #15
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

The pussification of society is a well documented phenomenon if you know where to look. Personally, it disgusts me. A large percentage of western woman are for some reason attempting to be male in their actions and behavior. Can't the ladies just be ladies and leave the man stuff up to the men?

The whole "gender identity" thing is an example of social change. Social change does not equate to social progress. "Tolerance" is a fickle term. The ability for an individual to keep their mouth shut and not speak on an issue they are firmly against is a great skill to possess. Yet, with each passing day I find myself in more situations where I simply must walk away because sharing my experience would be considered by many to be vehemently politically "incorrect."

I really wish the population of this planet would stop increasing. It's certainly not going to happen, but DAMN it's exactly what the human "race" needs to do.

Racing at full speed with no brakes toward a cliff. That is what our species is doing, and we are only picking up speed. I'm quite content to mind my own damn business and not meddle in the affairs of others, but it's getting very hard to do -- because the 'affairs' of others are constantly shoved into my face.

Oh well.. "improvise, adapt, and overcome" will continue to be my mantra.

Old March 10th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #16
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
My 5 year old girl races BMX, rides a mountain bike, will learn to ride a PW 50 this summer, is a high orange belt in Karate/kickboxing, also takes jujitsu and skis like a boss. She says when she grows up she wants to be STRONG.
Strong's a good goal! I like it!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #17
corksil

"strong" is a relative term.

Yet, strength is only measurable in proportion to an object being compared with.

Old March 13th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #18
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I see Honda leading that trend. They are the first to add-in automotive technology to cycles, in an attempt to make them safer and more appealing to new riders. At the same time removing the need for any real skills to operate a cycle "proficiently or "safely".

I guess they are doing everyone a favor with linked braking, airbags, automatic transmissions, reclined seating, low-revving fuel-efficient engines, automatic balancing, and automatic emergency braking.

I'm just not on-board with all that, but it may be the only way to get new riders interested in riding and buying cycles eventually.
I agree. We can already see real examples out there of self driving appliance cars now. Driving along in heavy traffic, stopping and going, with little to no input from the driver. So it's natural that bikes will be going that way as well eventually. I suppose it's unavoidable given the safety driven nature of people, and although I'm sure most people will still enjoy the ride itself, it certainly will take all skill outta the equation. Making people like me feel unfulfilled overall with the riding experience. There should always be old bikes still around fortunately After a certain point, the real riders will have to stop buying new, and start looking to the past for their bikes. I know I already do.

Old March 13th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #19
corksil

^^^ Dude I'm not on board with 90% of the changes happening in the world right now, but that doesn't have any effect on them taking place regardless.

We used to be such a civilized and resourceful species. Nowadays kids can't even do mental math or retain the mental focus required to complete a simple task. All the while, self entitlement keeps going up. Our species is absolutely becoming less intelligent, meanwhile thinking the opposite, given the technology that they have access to.

Old March 13th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ technology is treated like a crutch rather than a tool

Old March 13th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #21
corksil

Technology should be a catalyst for growth. Instead, it's an excuse for ignorance.

When I was growing up and I owned a thing which broke, I had to teach myself how it worked (with BOOKS!) and then figure out how to repair it myself.

These days, people seem to look forward to ruining their "stuff" because it becomes a rationalization as to why they can spend more on a different product. It's a compulsive addiction to the consumerism life style. It's not sustaining and the planet cannot handle it. Yet, no one will trade their "comforts" for the health of the planet and longevity of the ecosystems contained within.

Wait... what was this thread originally about? I should keep my realistic albeit negative viewpoints to myself. Yet -- if unpleasant facts are not clearly stated, they are easily ignored. People would rather remain blithely oblivious to their negative impact on this planet.

Old March 15th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #22
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Strong's a good goal! I like it!
Me too! And I like that she has a ton of strong female role models to look up to. She sees mom racing motorcycles and earning a black belt in martial arts, her karate instructor is a woman, I have female friends that are pilots, olympians, police officers, musicians, artists, doctors, teachers, scientists etc...it's more common for girls to participate in what used to be male only jobs and sports. I shy away from comments about her appearance and instead focus on terms like strong and powerful and smart and funny. I want her defined by hear abilities not by what she looks like.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote