ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 25th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Did valves, bike won't start

Buttoned up everything together.

I've checked all connections. I've made sure the kill switch is off. I've tried it with kickstand up/down, clutch in/out, in neutral/1st. Nothing. No cranking. No noise. Is the tail light supposed to come on with the key in the "on" position. Cuz it didn't. Neither does the brake light come on upon application of brakes.

Checked the battery and it's fully charged. The only major electrical connection I undid were the white connectors that hook onto the notch in the frame and sit under the tank. I installed new spark plugs. The boots are fully seated.

I'm sure it's something utterly stupid I forgot that'll hit me tonight. But, in the meanwhile, please brainstorm with me.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Nothing. No cranking. No noise. Is the tail light supposed to come on with the key in the "on" position.
Check continuity of the circuit starting at proper ground, fuses, etc.
I am sure you will find an "open bridge" somewhere.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Lostboy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ZZR 250

Exclamation

If you don't hear any noise, its something electrical. You'd at least hear a clicking. Either A you managed to kill your starter motor or its not connected.. or you missed a connection somewhere on your bike

I'm not sure which one you have but there is the green wire near front sprocket behind the cover that needs plugged in.
the two wire bunches under the motor must be connected to the right side.
the ground must be connected its on the right side of the motor
The stater motor must be connected to the relay at the back right side.

Was It any of them? double check the two wire bunches they sometimes come un-done as they are crazy hard to plugin sometimes.
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Have you check the main fuse?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #5
indr
ninjette.org guru

Okay. Turned out to be a loose battery connection since it works now that it's reconnected.

But, there's a horrible knocking sound when I crank the engine. I tried to turn the engine manually using the little hole on the left side, and there a certain point past which the thing won't turn.

I'm guessing I screwed up the timing when putting back the camshafts/chain in or there is something stuck down there.

What a pain. Since I don't have a sheltered garage and the next non-rainy day looks to be far away, let's guess how much a f*cked up the engine.

Old March 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry to read that.

The knock noise may come from a valve hitting the piston.

Hope nothing is bent or broken.

Best
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #7
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Sounds like you might have bent a valve if you can't turn it all the way over. Hope that's not the case it's like 50 bucks per valve luckly the bike only has 8..
How did you do the timing? Did you do tdc piston 2 and then line up 33 links on the chain with the markers on the cam sprockets?
Where do you live? If you have bent the valves I have a motor with 15000 km with perfect valves I'd sell half price. If yours are bent that is and you have a 88-07 ninja

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
indr
ninjette.org guru

I'm in BC and the bike is a 2010. I'm planning on pull the covers and undoing and redoing all the steps. Hopefully it's something something small like the timing.

When putting back the camshafts and chain, before pulling I had the engine at 2T, so I installed them back the same way. Maybe missed a teeth or something.

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Make sure when you check you have all the chain slack at the back and it's tight in the front (exhaust) side