ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Dark Smoke? (face shield)

So I picked up a white Fly Trekker. The side clips are coming today so I can get rid of the brim. I'm trying to find a dark face shield like in this picture:

But all I'm finding is a shield called "dark smoke"...

Will it look as dark as the one in that picture when its on the helmet, or should I be searching a different term?

Last futzed with by Ninja Bob; April 23rd, 2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added pic of shield
Ninja Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:41 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Dark smoke faceshields and windscreens will vary between different manufacturers. its really hard to tell sometimes from a picture just how dark it may be depending on the light and angles in the pic.

My experience has been when it says "Dark Smoke", it's pretty dark (like the top pic) but still light enough to see through. Light smoke looks more like the second pic. I have a dark smoke faceshield that looks really dark, but i can still see through it pretty good at night.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I second that, my scorpion dark smoke was a lighter one that I could reasonably use at night and my new icon dark smoke visor is a bit darker. I'm testing it tonight to see how well I can see through it at night.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:23 PM   #4
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Even a light smoke shield will look pretty dark from outside on a sunny day. Don't worry, the cagers won't see your face when you blow by them.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #5
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I think it's just the lighting throwing you off. The top pic is a profile shot in shade (lower light) looks darker than what it probably is but still a more truer representation of what the "dark smoke" shield will look like than the bottom photo. The stock photo is a relatively straight on shot in brighter light with a white background so it's not going to appear as dark.

I've got a dark smoke shield on my Arai and a gold shield on my Shoei and if you look up the stock photos they look lighter and more transparent than the real thing.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #6
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Photochromic shield ftw.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup. The top shot is angled to the camera such that the light being filtered by the shield goes through it twice; it necessarily would look twice as dark as the other straight-on shot.

Is this going to be your primary helmet? I like the styling, but running a DOT-only dual-sport type helmet on the street may have some inherent drawbacks.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup. The top shot is angled to the camera such that the light being filtered by the shield goes through it twice; it necessarily would look twice as dark as the other straight-on shot.

Is this going to be your primary helmet? I like the styling, but running a DOT-only dual-sport type helmet on the street may have some inherent drawbacks.
As of right now, it's my only helmet. It's DOT and ECE. What sort of drawbacks are you referring to?

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hadn't realized they pursued ECE, that would give me a bit more comfort. In general - I'd avoid a plasticky cheap helmet that isn't designed for either higher speeds or harder impacts, from a safety as well as comfort/wind noise perspective. Offroad, I myself use one of those plasticky DS helmets (AFX), but wouldn't take it out on the road. YMMV...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hadn't realized they pursued ECE, that would give me a bit more comfort. In general - I'd avoid a plasticky cheap helmet that isn't designed for either higher speeds or harder impacts, from a safety as well as comfort/wind noise perspective. Offroad, I myself use one of those plasticky DS helmets (AFX), but wouldn't take it out on the road. YMMV...
Thanks for the tips. It's actually pretty comfortable, surprisingly quiet, and doesn't feel cheap and plasticky. Up close, the added extremities, such as the part on the chin and the vent covers on top, are the only parts that appear to be a little cheap.

Old April 24th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I like fly racing, an the helmet in the pic
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #12
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I also really like that helmet. I have a dark smoke visor on my scorpion helmet. It looks very light like the picture when it's off the helmet, but when it's on the helmet and light isn't shining straight through it looks almost black, very much like the 2 pics you posted. I think you'll be happy with a dark smoke visor.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

All smoked or mirror visors are reasonably see-through like the 2nd pic until you pull it down. Then it generally looks like the first picture. You will be hard pressed to find any face shield that completely blocks out your face though. In direct sunlight on a bright day, you will be able to see through smoked visors.