ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 (Hers) 2010 Ninja 250 (His)

Noise in transmission

2010 with 8800 miles.

Noticing a noise when taking off in 1st then changing to 2nd. Sounds is there as well. Can't really hear it in the upper gears. It's not in the engine since I can rev and not hear it at all. Sounds like someone is rattling a can of rocks. The sound isn't high pitched. The clutch is strong and it's not having any problems going into any gears. It does seem to be more pronounced when cold so I'm assuming as the gears/transmission heat up, there is less play and whatever is loose is tightening up.

I'm not afraid of tools or taking things apart. Used to race cars so I know my way around a socket set. If anyone knows what I should take apart and look at, I'm all ears.
Zipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipster View Post
........ If anyone knows what I should take apart and look at, I'm all ears.
Hard to tell from your description, Richard.

First, I would check the chain for elongation or frozen links or rubbing against the swingarm, as well as the condition of the front sprocket.

Secondly, I will focus on the bearings, if you can hear each with an stethoscope.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Zipster
ninjette.org member

I checked for any signs of rubbing and didn't see any. Chain is in great shape. Looks like I have about 3/4 of an inch in chain slack measured vertically so I assume that's ok? And that was done by eyeball method. I probably need to calibrate them a little. But it does not seem overly loose or tight.

So that means I may be looking at something internal. For just taking a peek inside, is it involved in a lot of items to be removed?

Old August 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipster View Post
............So that means I may be looking at something internal. For just taking a peek inside, is it involved in a lot of items to be removed?
Read this thread:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146445
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Yeah, read that one yesterday. I guess I can dive in. Worse case scenario is I box up a transmission and take it to the shop. Best case is I open it up and find an issue.

Sounds like a good winter project. Now..how hard is it to pull the tranny? Where is the magic spot labeled pull this pin to remove at?

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
JAG
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Cable out of adjustment

I noticed that if the cluth cable is allowed to back
Too much the clutch or something will rattle internal. I adjusted my
Cluth cable by the rattle. Another words when no rattle sort of. It's almost
As if the cable is too long so there has to be play in the clutch lever
Or the cable pushes the lever on the motor back too much causing
The noise. My observation
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
which side of the engine does it rattle? can you wiggle the output shaft? you can take the side covers off and disassemble part of the trans from the right hand side, or at least take the clutch off to see part of it. to change it you have to split the case, which if you do everything correctly isn't that hard, but if you don't know what you are doing is easy to screw up.

maybe its rider error? when it sounds like rocks is it not going into gear? maybe this is your fault with technique? not to try to call anyone anything, no idea. just another thought. proper throttle release, etc?

if its just grinding the dogs, maybe the clutch isn't fully disengaging? clutch adjustment? clutch cable fraying/stretching?