ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Angry Riding Home from work: why you should ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR!

This is a few years old now, but I just came across it again, and it's just as relevent today. I hope this serves as a warning to new riders that it doesn't matter how close or slow the ride is--you can't anticipate whether or not you'll need your gear.

So, I'm riding home yesterday from work.
It's about 2 miles, all 25mph roads.
That is, it's temping at times to not wear the right gear. As in, I've done it in my work pants and shirts more times than I'd like to admit.
Well, not anymore.

I'm less than half a mile from my house when It Happened.

Luckily, today, I had my gloves, pants, jacket, and helmet on.

I was stopped at a red light on my street, where it interects with Route 11. This is actually a rather dangerous intersection, I've noticed before--at least as far as intersections of two 25mph one-way streets with traffic lights directly in front of the police station can be. For no particular reason, people seem to like to not even bother checking what color the light is before charging through it.
Well, there I am, stopped, and minding my own business, first vehicle in line at the light, and I'm actually watching a gaggle of ducks on the other side of the street waiting for my light to turn green.

There was one mother duck, and probably at least 10 chicks, walking across the street.
Once at the other side, Mama Mallard hopped up on the curb. The rest of chicks watched her, and tried to hop up. Two of them made it, while the other 8 failed miserably, jumping up and down in the road, trying to get onto the sidewalk, and falling back down. Mama Mallard would waddle five feet ahead, away from fierce traffic, trying ... okay, I'm giving up on the alliteration now... trying to get the chicks to follow her, then she'd run back, quack at them, and walk away again. She repeated this several times, getting visably angrier at the chicks each time for being unable to hop the curb.

By now, the light has turned green, and I continue across route 11, and pull over just beyond the ducklings.

I get off the bike, and walk over to the helpless hatchlings, heartily hoping to help crap, I'm doing it again by lending them hand. I approach the chicks, arms outstretched, to allow them to use my gloved hand as a little step up to the sidewalk.

Okay, here's how this is remotely relevant:

Trust me when I say that you do not ever, EVER want to try to touch a gaggle of cornered chicklets in front of their mother unless you are wearing full gear, head to toe.

My smooth, calming voice to the chicks saying "Here, ducky, don't worry, I'm just going to help you" quickly changed to an aggrevated "LOOK YOU STUPID BITCH, IF YOU KNEW HOW TO CROSS AN INTERSECTION I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS!" as the webbed claws dug into leather, her beak grabbed my armored elbow, and feathers fluttered into my facesheild.

Well, finally the last of the ducklings hopped up from my hand onto the curb, and then started to scatter around in every direction, so the hen finally decided that maybe herding her young was a more responsible and productive activity than testing if her beak was stronger than CE armor, and led them all off in some triumphant march, as if she was so proud that she'd not only defeated the giant, but as also miraculasly teleported her young up out of the road.

I mean, I wasn't expecting any great exhibition of gratitude, but I've had vultures show more respect.

Next time I get off my bike for that dumb bird, it won't be to pick up her young. I'll be picking her up for duck a l'orange.

Old August 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #2
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

LOL reading through the entire duck part of the story I kept waiting for the "some car hit my bike on the side of the road" or something. Glad the bike and you were unharmed. I guess if you choose to drive your car from work and decide to help some ducks you better have your riding gear in your trunk! Or hell just wear it while driving you never know when/how it might save you.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You'd make TheDuck proud.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Hahahaha

Great story. Mmmm....duck a'lorange

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #5
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

awesome!
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #6
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Don't forget to wear your gear when bringing the cat to the vet too. Ask me how I know... I should've made that dumb cat ride pillion.

Last futzed with by LazinCajun; August 25th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #7
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

That's so cool you stopped to help.

I am glad to hear nothing happened to your bike!

What a sweetheart.

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #8
2010Zen
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicholle (Nikki)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

WOW...that sounds like something that would happened to me...knowing my luck and my passion for animals. Loved the story and thanks for sharing!! Good to see that there is others out there that do have a care in the world for animals. Here in Vegas...there is a duck crossing on the west side of town and you will be cited if you hit a duck when its crossing the street. Kinda funny..lol

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
haha sounds like an alternative real world use for motorcycle armor that you never knew about.

but seriously you shoulda grabbed it and punted it like a football after it attacked you. that's what I woulda done
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what a brave duck, hopelessly taking on such a savage monster trying to attack her poor chicks

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #11
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Wild ducks, you should leave them alone unless they're ready to be eaten.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #12
ruben
ninjette.org member

Name: ruben

Motorcycle(s): Civic SI / future 250r

lol

i remember something similar happening to me. there was a strong storm that swept through here [so fla] there were little twigs and stuff scattered all over the street and i heard a bird chirping under our tree in front of out house. i go to inspect and i see theres a baby blue jay trying to crawl up the tree trunk [not too bright i guess]

so seeing as this little bird was unaware of gravity, i said 'ah let me help the lil booger before some cat eats em' so i kinda cup my hands around it and let it hop onto my palms. BOOM i hear 4 or 5 birds just squaking their little lungs out. i set off alarms or something so im looking up at the tree to see if i can see a nest or somewhere to place em. so as i walk away from the tree to get a better look, all hell breaks loose. birds are flying at my head and a few of them actually pecked me in head. IM JUST TRYING TO HELP BRO!

moral of the stories, birds are evil. Big Bird is jerk off the set, im sure of it.

is this my first post? if it is, hello forum. i guess i can get back to lurking now.
ruben is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #13
ruben
ninjette.org member

Name: ruben

Motorcycle(s): Civic SI / future 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
when I was little I thought duck sauce was made out of duck blood.
me too! but discovered 2 years ago it was made from Armand Van Helden and A-Trak
ruben is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

Ducks around here don't seem to have problems with the curbs as the eagles tend to swoop down and make them into dinner. Afflac Au Gratin is what one feathered raptor told me as he finished off a hapless webfooted insurance spokesduck wannabe.

Johnny

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #15
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

You should have taken one ofthe ducklings as a pet to teach the mom a lesson.

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #16
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Agreed!! Just saved my butt today!!! Sadly my bike isn't happy. In the crash section :/
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote