ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 2nd, 2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

CSC TT250

Our CSC TT250 was delevered this morning right off the show room floor.
in White !
with the fancy crash plate/engine guard but not the lower seat, they said
previously they were out of stock and will send one when they come in in a few weeks, so that's fine.
We put on the hand guards and put gas in it and checked it out real good
so I took it for a 21 mile ride and had no problems with it at all.
it is very under powered compaired to the Ninja but it definately is a good putt-putt machine ! by the time I got back my hands were trying to go to sleep on me anyway and it was getting warm out, so it was a good time to park it. that big 21" front wheel is nice to go over stuff with that is for sure and the bike itself is alot more comfortable than the Ninja by far ....
I have barely enough length in my legs to touch the ground on the balls of my feet... I NEED that lowered seat ! LOL
the pre-load has about 1" of threads on the mono shock so I could lower it quite a bit right there, but it's the Kids bike not mine and I'll do what he wants....
the power is definitely lacking for a modern 250cc it's more like a 175cc than a 250cc I'ed say... but it's a new engine and tight so I didn't push it hard and took it easy on the girl and didn't lug it much on my ride
I did get it up to 60 mph, down hill with the wind behind me and I had to reposition the throttle twice to do that ! ... the throttle has a very long stroke to it.... I haven't seen that for 40 years !
all in all for a bike that will move you from point a to point b it will get the job done ! and from what I could tell it will get the job done on dirt as well.
.... I'm happy with it and I guess that is what counts , the Kid is elated !
but hasn't ridden it yet... still needs his licenses !
but loves the look of it...and he can touch the ground better on it than I can
LOL......
so first impressions are good , not great as it's not real powerful , I expected a bit more power, but that should improve as it gets broke in.
to the door I think I paid $3200 for it, around there anyway... so cheap compared to a Japanese bike ( that includes tax and licenses...)
My CSC RX4 is still a month away but if mine rides as good as this one I will be super happy.... and it has the HP ! I think the Ninja will take the back seat for a while !.... but I already know it won't handle the corners like the ninja does.... that is a given ! LOL
Bob......

Old August 2nd, 2021, 03:22 PM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I hope it performs well for him. I'm sure it will be fine so long as he doesn't want to speed around much.
I had a Chinese-manufactured 250 some years ago (CFMoto I believe? Same as QLink? I doubt they're around anymore). The engine was made by a company named Lifan I believe. It was not fast. Or quick, or even safe, but it was two wheels and an engine. It did fine until I gave it to a friend of mine. He rode it all summer and forgot to check fluids. Ran low on coolant and popped the head gasket. We had a good run with it.
Hold on to that Kawasaki and have fun beating your kid in drag races.

Old August 2nd, 2021, 10:08 PM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I was very surprised at how tall the tt250 is... for a short person it is very tall
my 30" inseam is absolute minimum I would think on this bike without the lower seat and taking out some of the pre-load...
Putting on the Hand guards that I had to get from Amazon at a substantial savings as compared to CSC wasn't too bad... they mounted up ok and are on there firmly... I did have to cut the ends out of the grips to get to the handle bars but I did that with my sharp pocket knife. the throttle side took extra care as to allow free rotation of the throttle but once that was done it all tightened down nicely. CSC wanted over $100 bucks but I got these from Amazon for $37.00 with free shipping and their just as good if not better.
people complain about the tires on the tt250 on youtube alot but I do not see why.... they work well as far as I can tell, though I haven't done much dirt riding with it yet most tire problems are in my experience the Rider not the tire.... but that is Old school <GRIN>
Seams like a good Bike !
Bob......

Old August 4th, 2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I managed to take the pre-load out of the mono shock for the rear and that has lowered it quite a bit nether one of us can flat foot it yet but that should change when the lowered seat gets here for it.
I didn't like how the motor sounded so choked down so I drilled 6 holes in the exhaust pipe to help make it breathe a bit better it helped a little ( under the cap on the exhaust is a flat plate that's where I drilled the 6 holes ) ( the cap needs a ring of 3/16" holes in it too I think !)
and only made it a little louder, I like how quiet that thing is.
I got a jet kit coming for it to give it a bit more power ( so they say)
we'll see what else it needs as the miles grow on it !
it's only got 24 miles on it right now LOL
Bob...

Old August 4th, 2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Watch out... jets for "more power" may also be "lower MPG".
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2021, 02:50 AM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yes Thanks Jim ! that is a given as the more power has to come from somewhere ! and fuel is usually the place.... but at the 65mpg that they claim
I can loose some for a more powerful machine with no regrets at all.
I didn't Ride it yesterday.... just got too busy with other things.
Bob.....

Old August 5th, 2021, 06:28 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

My MT-07 actually gets low-mid 60s mpg. Despite all the guys on that board that reflash their ECUs for more power, I much prefer the 200 mile range to another HP or two.

Old August 5th, 2021, 08:34 AM   #8
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Not to derail this into a discussion about mpg, but I've focussed less on mileage over the past couple of years as I've stopped commuting via motorcycle. It's nice actually. Now that I only ride canyons for fun instead of the freeway for getting from A to B, what I spend on gas seems insignificant. Then again, power is also pretty insignificant as I've learned that a little more torque down low or a couple more hp up top does not in fact make one a faster rider

That being said, 65mpg out of the MT-07 sounds really nice. My SV650 usually gets mid-50s and I'm happy with it, but the more I read about the Yamaha 700 the more I see that they are outdoing Suzuki in the game they did so well at in the late '90s/early '00s with the SV.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ugh !....I scratched the new bike !
I took the TT250 up the road about 5 miles to a side road that's dirt and tried to get to a cinder pit up there.... I didn't make it the traction on that thing is almost non existent ! I had the front fighting me all the way up there in the loos sandy volcanic soil... and lots of activity on that road made lots more sand
so it was a hard ride up there the sandy soil finally got the best of me and I went off the road , I stopped it in time and then tried to figure out how to get the bike back on the road again.... so I had burned brush all around me from the recent forest fire, and deep super soft soil just like at a beach under my tires...
I got off with some difficulty and put everything i had into backing that thing up just 3 feet.... tried to get back on it and we fell over into a burned out bush
and it scratched the paint ! !!! in several places ! which didn't make me happy at all, I managed to get the bike back upright and got back on it without falling over again, got it running and decided to just head back I had had enough adventure for today....LOL...
I got back down off the mountain side and found some sturdy ground to park on and then surveyed the damage.... nothing broken just black soot all over me and the bike .... a few scratches on the tank and muffler as I fell into the manzineta bush that was burned out... the mirror unscrewed and flexed so it didn't break so all in all I got off light !
I then let some air out of the tires ...my god they must have had 35psi in those things I had to let out alot of air before they would flex a little by hand... anyway the rest of the ride back to the highway was softer and less apt to sild out in the soft soil... a bit anyway...
going home I hit 60 mph but didn't push it past that.
.... glad it's the Kids bike as I would NOT be happy with the height of that thing.... reminds me of a XR650L Honda ! you know the bike you need a step ladder just to think about it !
.... so now the odometer sets at 31 miles on it.... breaking this thing is going to take me a long time alone ! LOL....

it ran better today though had a bit more power... so that's something.
Bob....

Old August 5th, 2021, 01:56 PM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

after my little mishap as I was showing the kid the scratches I noticed that the throttle didn't want to snap back like it should so I need to fix that
and I did get the Kid to pull the thing into the back yard... so that's something
at least he moved it ! LOL
.... but when he did the clutch handle stuck in the full clutch position, the hand guard was binding the end of the lever. (both should be easy fixes)
if it's not one thing it's another ! HAHAHAHA !
Bob.......

Old August 5th, 2021, 02:03 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

We are prisoners of our possessions.

Old August 7th, 2021, 07:39 AM   #12
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ain't that the truth !
work on the 2012 Kawasaki 250R Ninja went fairly well this morning... I got a 43 tooth sprocket on the back wheel now
( instead of the 45 tooth) and the fairing off the right side.... i think I'll have to take off the fairing on the left side as well to fit my hand in there to turn the air screw a bit... I made my jack stand much more stable now so falling off the jack stand should not be an issue any more. HAHAHHA
i am thinking of Crazy gluing the piece that broke off the fairing near the windshield and see if that will hold....
has anyone tried crazy glue on the fairing material to see if it holds ?
.... epoxy would make a mess and I don't want to use that unless i have to...
there isn't a whole lot of force on the plastic from the windshield but there is some..... so I don't know.. I'll try crazy glue it , and let ya know if it works !
Bob........

Old August 7th, 2021, 07:57 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

As I remember, these fairings are made of ABS, which glues very well with plumbing cement made for ABS pipe. If you can get some ABS cloth you can cement it to the back of the break to reinforce it.

McMaster-Carr has various shapes of ABS including thin sheet that could be used to reinforce the back. The thin ABS sheets can be thermoformed to match the fairing if necessary.

Old August 7th, 2021, 08:04 AM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

OOOOh ! cool great info there Jim ! thank you !...yah ABS is fairly easy to work with..... I've made bows for bow and arrow play with ABS....
.... I probably have some ABS cement in the shop too....
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!
Bob.....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2021, 11:33 AM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Humm... a short piece of ABS water pipe cut down the length of it and unrolled with the heat gun and pressed flat would make a good backing for it... but the paint needs to be removed.... both surfaces scratched up good with 80 grit sand paper and then glued with plumbers cement for ABS should make it very permanent.. then you need to match the paint which is probably the hardest task of all ! LOL
.... My Dad spent a good 30 to 45 years as a body and fender repairman
had his own shop and all that, he taught me alot about repair work, but he was color blind and could match paint better than anyone I've ever met....
I never could match paint... the harder I tried the worse it got !
LOL....
My how times change... used to be metal fenders now it's ABS fairings !
HAHAHAHAH
Bob...

Old August 9th, 2021, 10:03 AM   #16
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

we got the lower seat from CSC the other day and we immediately went out and put it on.... WHAT A Difference in the feel of the bike ! I can touch the ground flat footed now !
I took it for a quick spin down to the local dollar general store and picked up some super glue for the ninja fairing... that thing is geared real low too !
.... no wonder it only goes 60mph ! LOL
but that is plenty fast for what it will be used for ...
I'm still waiting on the jet kit for the thing... should be here today.
I also have 1" bar risers for the Ninja coming and I am in the process of putting the fairings back on on it... my cheepo turn signals should also be here today... so when the mail man comes it's going to be like Christmas ! HAHAHAH
Bob......

Old August 21st, 2021, 10:28 PM   #17
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

we got the jet kit and I put it in and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the air screw out as it was the type you bust off the end of it so no one can mess with it.... but I did finally get it out, there was about 1/2 of a thread showing on the screw so I took a sharp awl and tapped it lightly with a small hammer till i got it to turn a few times then I could grab it with the needle nose plyers and un screw it. the isle/airscrew that came in the kit was one of the same kind but I didn't brake off the end ! so it can still be adjusted.
it is a bit stronger running now, not massive but noticeable !
85 miles on it at last check, and it's still very tall for this short old man !
hahahaha !
the Ninja is more my size ! although I am wondering about lowering the rear.
Bob.......

Old September 26th, 2021, 10:18 PM   #18
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Alot of water has gone under the bridge sense the last post here....
On the Ninja I've lowered the rear by about 3.5" is my best guess (as I went up one click on the pre load and I am thinking about going 1 more.)
and I lowered the front forks in the triple trees by almost exactly 2"
and I can set on the little ninja with my Knees slightly bent now so it's perfect!
I've ridden it several times and the handling is FANTASTIC... best handling bike I've ever owned, bar none ! ( even better than the W1 kawasaki 650 (BSA clone)) and it handled real, real good !
on the CSC TT250 I took it out to the mountain top again and had a real good ride with it.... the odometer now stands at 111 miles on it ! so I'm gaining on it ! ( i'm trying to get 500 miles so I can do the first sirvice !)
all in all I'ed rather ride the Ninja even with it's Crotch rocket riding position
as I am slowly getting used to it but I find myself leaning on my hands quite often and I have to re set my position to fix that.....
it's not natural at all for me.
I had the delight of just getting away and going for a ride the other morning
and the little 250 got me to 80mph with no trouble... acceleration at that speed is fairly dismal I noticed though.... to go over 100mph with this bike I'ed have to be going down hill I think ! LOL (probably because of the final gearing change)
but she zips down the road real nice for me ...and with it lower than it was it is alot more creature compatible for this old man !
I'm looking for bike covers I'll need 3 of them , does anyone have a recommendation ? I want something to keep the snow off the bikes ! as I don't have a garage !
.... Bob......