ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 6th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #1
joeybaila
ninjette.org newbie

Name: joey

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250

No power to bike

Hey guys. I'm having some troubles with a recent purchase. I bought the bike as a parts bike and decided to put it as a race bike. The previous owner said the motor ran fine and that the motor had 6k miles on it. The right engine cover was removed because he crashed it and it had a small leak. Well, the guy hacked the sheet out of the harness, so I ordered a new one.

I hooked everything up, and made sure the new battery did its 6 hour initial charge, it read 12.71v. well I turn the key and no light on the dash, engine wont crank. Ive done the kickstand delete, so that isn't it. I jumped the starter solenoid, and it cranks over. I have checked all my connections and none are loose or have backed out. I checked both grounds, the one by the thermostat and the one by the right side engine cover, both are good. i know everything is good in the harness and the gauges, because i took the gauges from my other race bike. I even swapped the edu, and then the complete harness (from my running bike) and still no power to the gauges. Ive also tried swapping out the starter switch, solenoid, and rectifier. None of them made any difference. Anybody have something like this happen, thank you in advance guys.
joeybaila is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

check your ignition switch/harness. bust out your multimeter. You should be getting power to the white wires that feed from the battery.

Look up the igintion delete/bypass DIY how to to see.

Old February 6th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Fuses including the main fuse on the starter solenoid? And bust out that multi-meter time.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #4
joeybaila
ninjette.org newbie

Name: joey

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250

ok figured it out. Turns out I had a few problems. First, I don't know why but the bike would not crank, after disconnecting the gauges, it now cranks. Must be a short or something. I was not getting any fire at the coils. I had purchased one of those cheap $40 keys on ebay, but did not know that they need a resistor. so put the key from my A bike, and now i have fire. woot woot. thank you guys
joeybaila is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.